The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Backpack Grenade Dispensers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Backpack Grenade Dispensers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one player who used to play at conventions. Always approached everything looking for an exploit, and his RP style was basically he was playing a player playing a character if you get what I mean (stats gamer). Could be frustrating, and oddly more talk time was spent arguing around the table than RPing.

But our home sessions aren't like that. In fact the stats of an item definitely plays second fiddle to how cool it looks on the character (as described or imagined). Part of that of course is the archetypteral concept the player has in mind for the character, so a han solo type would never carry a backpack anything or wear heavy armour and would prefer to modify their own blaster pistol than buy the overpowered blaster rifle the GM made, even if that blaster rifle was an exploit.

Different strokes I guess.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
We had one player who used to play at conventions. Always approached everything looking for an exploit, and his RP style was basically he was playing a player playing a character if you get what I mean (stats gamer).

Yeah, a player like that would not last long with me running the game. In the sense that, after a few sessions, he would be politely but firmly asked to either stop this or find a different game. Because his fun is deeply incompatible with mine.

vanir wrote:
But our home sessions aren't like that. In fact the stats of an item definitely plays second fiddle to how cool it looks on the character (as described or imagined). Part of that of course is the archetypteral concept the player has in mind for the character, so a han solo type would never carry a backpack anything or wear heavy armour and would prefer to modify their own blaster pistol than buy the overpowered blaster rifle the GM made, even if that blaster rifle was an exploit.

I'm blessed with currently having, and always having had, players with outlooks like this. Much more pleasant to game with, for me.

garhkal wrote:
I have spent the better part of the past 13 years gaming at conventions with one group (Sparks force 7) doing a long ongoing SW D6 campaign. In that time i have also ran home campaigns in some places...

I hope you forgive me for saying, that if playing with those people made your outlook what it is today, making you go through every proposed piece of equipment with a fine-tooth comb to check for perfect balance and every possible exploit, thet I will count myself fortunate for never encountering players like that...
- Tom Lehrer
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope you forgive me for saying, that if playing with those people made your outlook what it is today, making you go through every proposed piece of equipment with a fine-tooth comb to check for perfect balance and every possible exploit, thet I will count myself fortunate for never encountering players like that...

I am the opposite of vanir in that i have encountered more 'gamist/min maxer types playing home games than i have convention ones..

That's what i was getting at with my "Non convention" gaming quote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: