The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Backpack Grenade Dispensers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Backpack Grenade Dispensers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Backpack Grenade Dispensers Reply with quote

Just a little something I cooked up. I don't recall ever seeing a piece of equipment like this, either official or fan-made, so I thought I'd share.

Backpack Grenade Dispenser
Description: A flat, broad backpack unit containing a droid-automated grenade dispenser.
Grenades are loaded into separate cells, arranged into a mobile, looped ammo belt. The cells' contents are coded into a connected miniaturized controller unit, worn on the wrist like a big watch. The desired grenade is selected by the wrist unit keyboard or voice command. It is ejected into an easily reached receptacle placed in the device's lower corner – right or left, physically configured when the device is loaded. There, the grenade is securely held until the user plucks it out. If necessary, an unused grenade may also be returned into the receptacle and/or loaded back into its cell. Reaching back and taking the grenade out quickly without looking takes some practice, but is not really difficult, and can be accomplished in one action with no more chance of fumbling the grenade than taking it from any other carrying arrangement.
On user's order, the device may also prime and/or drop the grenade on its own.
The unit fits all standard grenade shapes, except solid-handled "potato masher" types.
The cells may also hold other items, provided they are grenade-shaped or placed in grenade-shaped containers.
The unit is flat enough for another, normal backpack to be worn over it.
Scale: Character
Capacity: 20;
Structure: 3D
Weight: 2kg empty;
Cost: 350 CR
Availability: 3, F

Backpack Grenade Launcher
Description: A development of the above device, mating the dispenser to a back-mounted, breach-loading, repulsor-powered grenade launcher.
The selected shell is loaded into the launcher. The weapon may be controlled "hands-free", with wrist unit or voice command alone. It may also be pulled over the shoulder and operated like a standard shoulder-fired gun, but in this case it will have to be returned to its stowed position for reloading. In both modes it is targeted by a head-set HUD unit.
Scale: Character
Skill: Shooting: Missiles (Grenade Launcher) or Artillery (Mortar)
Range: 3-20m / 70m / 210m
Capacity: 20;
Structure: 3D;
Weight: 4kg empty;
Cost: 1.550 CR
Availability: 3, X
- Tom Lehrer
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.... me likey.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though i would hate to be wearing it if the grenade(s) get hit and fratricide.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very unlikely to ever happen, unless you ware loading Thermal Detonators, or some rather primitive grenades, in which case you'd be asking for it. But if it did, then yes, would be very unpleasant for the user.
- Tom Lehrer
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What of hitting the backpack with an Incendiary grenade... something designed to make other "Boomy" items go up/
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better chances of going up then, but I still wouldn't assume it's automatic. The incendiary first has to get through the backpack and to the individual grenades inside, and they are not packed in as tightly as in a simple storage box. Certainly smaller chances of a catastrophic explosion than if the user carried the grenades packed into a normal backpack, or on a tactical harness. Still, not a pleasant situation to be in, yeah. But the same can be said in general about any combat with heavy use of explosives.
- Tom Lehrer
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What of hitting the backpack with an Incendiary grenade... something designed to make other "Boomy" items go up/

Why are you always fixated on the doom and gloom? Wink
That would be a nice way to make a good boom, though.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've always noticed about garhkal is that he's always cognizant of making sure a game isn't unbalanced. A backpack like this could be considered unbalancing if it's not used in some kind of military unit scenario; he'd be looking for all the ways in which to negate that device, or at least at how likely it would be for others to notice and identify it, thereby giving them legitimate reason to target the backpack.

Also, a lot of GMs will allow a player to give their character a buttload of gear, only to take it away from them fairly early on in the game. Don't know if garhkal is like that; I've never been in a game he was running. Wink
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Also, a lot of GMs will allow a player to give their character a buttload of gear, only to take it away from them fairly early on in the game.

I'm surely not one of them. Pretty early in the campaign, I gave my player characters an artifact-level weapon of planetary-scale mass destruction, with infinite ammo, trusting them not to abuse it, and my trust was fully vindicated.

As to "balancing" gear. I consider playing the opposition (usually) smart and the consequences (mostly) realistic as standard mode of operation. On the other hand, I see no need to punish the players for having acquired good gear for their characters - especially as I am the one that ultimately allows them to acquire it.

Not that I believe that was what Garhkal was aiming at here. I'm sure he was just being hepful, making sure that I was aware of the potential short-comings and balancing factors of my proposed gear. That I am, so I don't really see a need to dwell on it further.

But it would be a pretty good boom, yes.
- Tom Lehrer
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Garhk is always a good voice for balance. We all seem to have out own ways through which we see an idea; I think that's what makes for such good discussion on this board.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Why are you always fixated on the doom and gloom? Wink
That would be a nice way to make a good boom, though.

I always like to look on the downsides of items to see if the person making them has thought of what could happen should x occur. IE should this pack have better body or even some sort of armor rating, to help avert this incident?
As it is, i see no reason why a group would not stock up on them at first chance thy get.

Quote:
Also, a lot of GMs will allow a player to give their character a buttload of gear, only to take it away from them fairly early on in the game. Don't know if garhkal is like that; I've never been in a game he was running. Wink

The only times i remember as GM taking gear away was when
A) the group is captured
B) its scripted as part of the mission
C) the enemy targets the gear (such as called shots a weapon to neuter someone using that weapon to the exclusion of anything else)...

Quote:
Not that I believe that was what Garhkal was aiming at here. I'm sure he was just being hepful, making sure that I was aware of the potential short-comings and balancing factors of my proposed gear. That I am, so I don't really see a need to dwell on it further.

Exactamundo.. A while back someone wanted a sort of 'self reloading' shoulder fire missile launcher in a home campaign. THIS sort of thing made me remember it, as even WITH me warning him that once the enemy starts seeing him use it, they WILL target it, not only to take the item out, but to kill the wearer/those near by cause of the warheads going up..
WITH those warnings given, he still opted to take the backpack launcher, but used it when in cover (so was harder to see using it) AND spend time researching armor coverings to help out should it ever DID get hit.

Quote:
Yeah, Garhk is always a good voice for balance. We all seem to have out own ways through which we see an idea; I think that's what makes for such good discussion on this board.

Dat's what i am good at.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As it is, I see no reason why a group would not stock up on them at first chance thy get.

I have to stop you here. Really? You really don't see any reason whatsoever why players/player characters would not immiediately run out to buy this? Or are you just being rhetorical? Or do our player groups differ so much?
Because knowing my players, and the characters they run, I'm pretty sure none of them would be interested in this piece of gear. Oh, they'll think it's nice and useful for its intended purpose, but not enough to actually want one for themselves, not as any kind of imperative, certainly. And not because they're munchkins who'll think it's too weak, either.
- Tom Lehrer
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some groups (non convention) yes... Some groups would love stocking up on it.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Some groups (non convention) yes...

What do you mean by "non convention"? I'm not sure I folow.
- Tom Lehrer
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent the better part of the past 13 years gaming at conventions with one group (Sparks force 7) doing a long ongoing SW D6 campaign. In that time i have also ran home campaigns in some places...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: