The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Golan Space Defense Stations, problem with turbolaser ranges
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Golan Space Defense Stations, problem with turbolaser ranges Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And something about the power of a Golan II

Golan II platforms were used to defend more valuable targets, like the Imperial shipyards in the Bilbringi system. At the Battle of Bilbringi, it took the combined efforts of Rogue Squadron and two New Republic assault frigates to neutralize one Golan II.

And also a size comparison

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth considering taking the visual appearance of the ISD models used in the filmwork at face value.
Visually the only really big laser cannon emplacements are four twin turrets each along the sides of the superstructure, and one smaller quad turbolaser turret in each of the side trenches (plus another at the main hangar underneath).
Visually, all the Golans are far better armed than any ISD-I irrespective of what stats are actually written for each.

The Avenger class/ISD-II (Vader's personal flagship) is supposed to be a special case and has eight twin bank, quad turbolaser turrets as shown on the film model for a 64 turbolaser broadside on the front quarter. A true battlecruiser, it's not capable of surviving a broadside from its own guns, no starship can. Plus being individually smaller guns than the regular ISD they would track quicker and more accurately, for a higher fire control rating, and despite having less base damage per gun, so many more of them has a net gain in damage. It's a death machine.

Technically a battleship is defined by the ability to survive a broadside from your own guns, the ISD-I is like this (it wouldn't want more than one). I don't think you want to be in a Golan or anything else when an Avenger class ISD-II rolls up, you want to be out of the area. I think only SpaceDreadnaughts and planetary shielding should be able to stand up to those, they're single purpose fleet warfare battlecruisers meant for desintegrating entire cruiser squadrons. But I don't think very many Avenger class/ISD-II are supposed to be in the Imperial Navy (Vader's is lead ship in the class), they're a special modification/refit for a specific task, I believe the idea was to show the ISD was a ubiquitous battleship structure and individual examples could have a variety of equipment fit and weaponry.

For various reasons I'd posit something like capital scale 4D hull for the Golan I with 2D shields, 6D hull for the Golan II with 4D shields and for the Golan III 7D+2 hull with 5D shields minimum (plus backups)...personally I'd go 8D shields being a heavy battlestation.

You could handle an ISD-I task force like that, but I'd say if Vader's Avenger ISD rolls up you've got far bigger problems than wondering if you could take on three of them.

But consider also the Golan weaponry. I trashed the WEG ISD stats and rewrote weapons banks which match the visual models (eight twin turret main guns, rear pair are ion guns, so arcs are: 12 heavy laser cannons front, 6 left, 6 right, damage is way bumped to reflect their massive size so they're like 10D guns...), yet you compare with the big turrets on the Golan-III, 20 left, 20 right, 10 front, 10 back and they're all as big turret emplacements as the ISD main guns, huge, I say about 10D apeice...

Who needs to survive broadsides if the enemy gets desintegrated before it can let one off?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I have always seen it as 5-1 when figuring out defenses.. part of our training in the Seabeas for setting up our perimeter defenses.

What about stats-wise? What would a Golan III need to be at for Hull and Shields to take a pounding from a Star Destroyer task force?

Well take all the weapons a single SD can put out in one arc, and add in combined fire for them. The Golan III should have at least a hull/shields comparable to taking that without damage IMO.

Quote:
With that, assuming they are Imperial, what is the baddest thing the rebels can throw at them, then times it by 5ish, and then what do they need armor and arms wise to hold them off?

A mon cal, where their weapons (though less numerous than an ISD) are comparable in damage output. So a d or 2 less in overall damage, due to less combining.

Quote:
Who needs to survive broadsides if the enemy gets desintegrated before it can let one off?

Then perhaps the Golans need to have better ranges on their weapons so they can snipe out at incoming ships.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
What about stats-wise? What would a Golan III need to be at for Hull and Shields to take a pounding from a Star Destroyer task force?

Well take all the weapons a single SD can put out in one arc, and add in combined fire for them. The Golan III should have at least a hull/shields comparable to taking that without damage IMO.

Well, assuming three ISD II's, their front arc is the most heavily armed with 20 heavy turbolaser batteries (10D), 20 heavy turbolaser cannon (7D) and 10 ion cannon (4D). Step 1, IMO, should be the Hull vs the ion cannon. But this then raises the question, how do you calculate the combined fire bonus? Do you calculate all three ships firing at once (30 ion cannon = +10D), or do you calculate three separate bonuses (10 cannon per ship = +3D+1, then 3 ships = +1D, for a combined total of +4D+1). Either way, you are looking at a minimum Hull strength of 8D+1 or 14D to be able to stand up to the combined ion cannon fire of three ISD II's. jmanski's suggestion of 10D Hull is actually looking pretty accurate right now.

On top of that, applying the same formula to the heavy turbolaser batteries equals combined fire bonuses of either +20D or +7D+2, for total damage rolls of either 30D or 17D+2. With the same numbers applied to the heavy turbolaser cannon, we get 27D or 14D+2, but since I've never really been able to get how to combine the fire of two weapon systems of differing damage, I think I'll just leave that one open for explanation.

Bottom line, looking at the combined damage potential of three ISD II's firing their forward arc weaponry en masse at a single target, the stats on a single Golan III just don't add up. Even using the lowest method of calculating combined fire, the ion cannon can reasonably be expected to inflict 8D+1 damage against 5D+2 Hull. Figuring with the 2D=7 rule, the ISDs can reasonably expect to inflict around 3 Controls Ionized every time they hit for damage, and that results in a 3D drop in shields, as well.

Moving on to the heavy turbolaser batteries, even assuming that the Golan III (as written) has focused all of its shields into the affected arc, and that the ISDs are using the lower method of combining fire, they are still doing 17D+2 damage versus a combined soak of 9D+2, you can reasonably expect the ISDs to win by around 28 points. Even with full shields, the station would be automatically destroyed by a full combined barrage in the first round (This, of course, presupposes that all the requisite Command and Capital Ship Gunnery rolls were successful).

However, if one were to go with the 10D Hull / 8D Shields suggestion, it immediately becomes a different story. At 10D, the Hull can be expected to brush off all but the most concerted ion cannon attack, and the combined shields and hull of 18D is an even match to the 17D+2 of the combined turbolaser batteries.

On top of that, considering that the Golan's 50 turbolaser cannon are all turret mounted, it can focus all of its firepower on a single target for catastrophic results (50 cannon equals a combined fire bonus of +16D+2, for a total of 21D+2 in a single barrage, not to mention the additional 16D punch from the proton torpedo launchers). Considering that an ISD II can focus about 10D of protection into a single arc, a single Golan III (as written) could be expected to destroy one ISD II with its batteries (21D+2 vs. Combined Soak of 10D = average result of 76 vs. 35 = star destroyer soaks 41 points of damage and ceases to exist) blasts another apart with its torpedoes (16D vs 10D = average of 56 vs 35 = star destroyer soaks 21 points of damage and blows up). That leaves one ISD II with a captain spending a Force Point on his Astrogation skill in the hopes of jumping to hyperspace before the Golan III can retarget its batteries on his ship. The only way three ISD II's could survive a battle like that is if your campaign uses a rule allowing them to overlap their shields if they are in close formation.

Honestly, considering the available evidence, I think the Golan's weaponry is a little overpowered for what they are expected to do in the books.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, assuming three ISD II's, their front arc is the most heavily armed with 20 heavy turbolaser batteries (10D), 20 heavy turbolaser cannon (7D) and 10 ion cannon (4D). Step 1, IMO, should be the Hull vs the ion cannon. But this then raises the question, how do you calculate the combined fire bonus? Do you calculate all three ships firing at once (30 ion cannon = +10D), or do you calculate three separate bonuses (10 cannon per ship = +3D+1, then 3 ships = +1D, for a combined total of +4D+1). Either way, you are looking at a minimum Hull strength of 8D+1 or 14D to be able to stand up to the combined ion cannon fire of three ISD II's. jmanski's suggestion of 10D Hull is actually looking pretty accurate right now.

All 3 ships firing at once. Similar to how "Trench run disease" from snubs mass firing proton torps take out a cap ship.

Quote:
Honestly, considering the available evidence, I think the Golan's weaponry is a little overpowered for what they are expected to do in the books.

Even with the turret mounting of the guns i just don't see how those on one side can shoot stuff on the other.. Similar to how the dorsal/ventral turrets on a ship like the falcon are blocked BY the falcon's hull from hitting stuff in their other arcs.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
All 3 ships firing at once. Similar to how "Trench run disease" from snubs mass firing proton torps take out a cap ship.

I actually find myself liking the two-stage combined fire bonus; it balances out the numbers much better. If you do all three ships firing at once, three ISDs firing their heavy turbolaser batteries actually does more damage than the superlaser on the Death Star.

Quote:
Even with the turret mounting of the guns i just don't see how those on one side can shoot stuff on the other.. Similar to how the dorsal/ventral turrets on a ship like the falcon are blocked BY the falcon's hull from hitting stuff in their other arcs.

I agree. Making all of the weapons turret is likely just another WEG stat screw-up.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say split the weapons into two, half for one side and half for the other.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I'd say split the weapons into two, half for one side and half for the other.

Considering all the weapon turrets seem to stick out away from the hull, I would almost go with giving each weapon the ability to fire into two fire arcs, while leaving some turret. Something like 10 front/left, 10 front/right, 10 rear/left, 10 rear/right, 10 turret (5 top, 5 bottom). That breaks the weapons down into discrete firing arcs, while still allowing a fully operational station to focus half of its firepower into a single fire arc.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

crmcneill wrote:

I actually find myself liking the two-stage combined fire bonus; it balances out the numbers much better. If you do all three ships firing at once, three ISDs firing their heavy turbolaser batteries actually does more damage than the superlaser on the Death Star..

Ok, I don't have any rules, sooooo I'm not sure how linked firing works in the RAW ...

That said, I'd guess it would be the only way a group of smaller crafts (be it an attack/fighter/bomber or a frigate) could stand up to larger craft (be it an smaller capitol craft, an ISD or Golan).

I know this example isn't ship to ship, but the Israeli hit on the Iraq (maybe Iran, I could be miss remembering the specifics) Nuke reactor in the late 60s. The first fighter hits the reactor with it's bomb, breaching the concrete wall. Then the rest of the flight's bombs went into the same hole and destroyed the innards. If the bombs would have all hit at random, there would have been massive external damage, but little internal ... To me that is the effectiveness of linked attacks.

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something to be said for that technique. Perhaps there should be a rule for increasing damage rolls from a sustained bombardment against unshielded targets.

The way the RAW on combining fire works is that you get a bonus by having multiple weapons firing simultaneously at the same target. To get the bonus, the commander of the unit makes a Command skill roll, ordering his subordinates to combine their fire at a single target. If he is successful, a bonus is generated based on the number of weapons combining their fire.

For example, if a squadron of X-Wings were attacking a Nebulon-B frigate (Hull 3D+2, Shields 2D, scale modifier +6D), their best weapon would be their proton torpedo launchers. However, a single proton torpedo is unlikely to inflict major damage on the frigate, even if it is unshielded (9D damage versus 9D+2 hull with the scale modifier added in). It becomes even less likely if the frigate is shielded, as the scale modifier is added to the shields and the hull, so if the frigate can get even +1 of shields into a fire arc (Very Difficult Capital Ship Shields roll to get shields in all four arcs), the frigate's soak jumps from 9D+2 to 16D. If the starfighters are attacking en masse from a single fire arc, the frigate can concentrate its shields against them for a total of 17D+2. No single starfighter has the punch to get through that.

However, since the starfighters are combining their fire, they also get a bonus, equal to +1 pip for every weapon fired, or +1D for every three weapons fired. Since a squadron of 12 X-Wings can mass fire 24 proton torpedoes simultaneously, their damage jumps from 9D to 15D (+6D for combining fire with 24 torpedoes). It's still not quite enough to break through the frigate's full power shields, but you can see the possibilities. The best tactical option for the starfighter squadron would be to break up into multiple flights and swarm the frigate from multiple directions simultaneously, forcing the frigate to split its shields to cover multiple arcs (and increasing the difficulty of the frigate's Shields skill rolls, thereby increasing the chance that an arc will be left unprotected by a failed roll).

It doesn't just boost damage either; a commander could order his troops to barrage fire into the general vicinity of the target, hoping for a random hit, so that the combined fire bonus would be added to the gunner's To Hit rolls instead of Damage.

Does that help?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how R&e does it... IIRC base 2e had it that the bonus was added to both to hit and damage..
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of choosing To Hit or Damage, not adding to both.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My considered opinion is that if a Golan III platform is to perform as it did in The Last Command, it should have extremely powerful defenses, somewhere in the 10D/8D neighborhood crmcneill talked about, with longer range, lower damage turbolasers than an ISD, and a withering array of proton torpedoes and laser cannons for point defense against ships of all sizes.

The longer range guns would force a group of ISDs to stay out of gun range and act as a carrier launching starfighter attacks, or dive in full and enter a slugging match at a disadvantage. The lower damage and higher soak would protract the fight, which is something helpful for a defensive platform to do. The close-in weapons would keep the platform from being shredded by starfighters, and lengthen the fight by keeping the ISDs at arm's length.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the 2R&E rules, a 20% increase in range requires a Very Difficult Capital Ship Weapons Repair roll, plus 20% of the cost of the basic weapon, but results in a range increase from 3-15/36/75 to 4-18/44/90 (fractions rounded up to the nearest whole number). That greatly increases the threat range, so a Golan thus equipped would be able to hit the ISDs outside of their maximum firing range.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Under the 2R&E rules, a 20% increase in range requires a Very Difficult Capital Ship Weapons Repair roll, plus 20% of the cost of the basic weapon, but results in a range increase from 3-15/36/75 to 4-18/44/90 (fractions rounded up to the nearest whole number). That greatly increases the threat range, so a Golan thus equipped would be able to hit the ISDs outside of their maximum firing range.

Exactly. So take all the weapons of a pair of Lancers, to augument a Golan III's weaponry for Anti fighter defense, and have the platform's chief engineer put his/her team to use upgrading ALL the weaponry's range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: