The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Psychological Effects
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Psychological Effects Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Psychological Effects Reply with quote

How do you roleplay psychological effects? A character or NPC can be afraid or angry or confused, but how does that translate into actual game effects? I know Warhammer 40K used to have mandatory action rules, where if a character was subject to a psychological effect, they behaved in a certain manner until the effect wore off. Have any of you ever tried something like this, and how did it work out?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my gaming group is rather paranoid to begin with I havnt had the need to enforce any psychological rules. Apart from the Dark Side taking control of characters I dont feel the need for any mechanically controlling rules (the DS can however make the character fear something).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
As my gaming group is rather paranoid to begin with I havnt had the need to enforce any psychological rules. Apart from the Dark Side taking control of characters I dont feel the need for any mechanically controlling rules (the DS can however make the character fear something).

That's part of why I asked. What form does fear (and other emotions) take within the game rules? Specifically, what effect does it have on a character? If not mandatory actions, would dice penalties be appropriate? Maybe dice penalties that would paralyze lower level NPCs would be just an inconvenience to PCs, or PCs would be more likely to be immune to mandatory actions? To me, it's not enough to say that "your character is afraid". I'm interested in how that fear affects the character's actions.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, we see there is a D penalty associated with Intimidation, so there is some 'precedence' for fear imposing a penalty. BUT what of PTSD? Paranoia?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
well, we see there is a D penalty associated with Intimidation, so there is some 'precedence' for fear imposing a penalty. BUT what of PTSD? Paranoia?

The core idea that I'm looking at is based on the Warhammer 40K 1st. Edition rules for psychological effects (specifically confusion, anger, fear and frenzy). It would take some conversion (obviously), plus there are other potential emotions that could be counted into the rules (courage, love, etc.), but I'm more interested in broad categories than specific rules for each individual shading of emotion. PTSD or Paranoia could be conditions that induce specific psychological responses...

I also like the idea of, say, someone with a high Persuasion skill being able to induce psychological effects in other individuals or groups, which in game terms provide bonuses or penalties to those characters, inspiring rage, fear, bravery, etc...

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Game Chambers of Questal had rules for characters suffering the effects of artificially generated fear.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Where is the reference on the Intimidation D penalty? I just reread the skill to double-check, and I didn't see it.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gha.. Its a sparks specific ruling, but i think they did get it from somewhere.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I'd like to see the reference on that.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, simply as a starting point, here is an on-the-fly conversion of the Psychology rules from Warhammer 40K 1E.

Summary
Characters resist Psychological effects with the Willpower skill, rolled as always against either a set Difficulty level or an opposed dice roll. Failure results in the character being affected by the psychological effect, for good or for ill. Unless otherwise noted, a character suffering from a psychological effect is immune to other psychological effects.

Remember that your character can still feel fear, confusion, hatred, etc, without being controlled by it. These rules represent rules for characters who have been so overcome by a strong emotion that it temporarily dictates their actions.

Causing Psychological Effects:
Psychological effects can come from a variety of possible sources:
-Some weapons may inflict psychological effects through gases or energy fields.
-Some creatures or beings may cause them, either by presence or an attack of some kind.
-Force users may use Affect Mind to induce them.
-Characters may use Intimidation or Persuasion to cause a desired effect.

Types of Psychological Effects
Confusion
Represents mental feebleness, general incompetence, mild delusions, or intoxication. Confused characters suffer from the following:
-1D to all skills
May not use Force powers
Move reduced by 50% (Rounded up)

Fear
Character cannot approach the source of the fear, and must move away if attacked.

Frenzy
Basically a Berserker rage, normally possible only to aliens that are particularly volatile or short-tempered. Humans can't achieve this on their own without training or assistance.
+2D to all Combat and Reaction skills
Cannot perform other skills (including Mechanical)
Character must make a minimum High Speed Move towards the nearest enemy and engage it in combat with either Brawling or Melee Combat (or a ranged weapon if it is out of close combat range)
Character can not attempt to moderate damage, and must inflict full normal damage with any weapon, regardless of the consequences.
Character stays in Frenzy unless, at the end of the round, he is not in close combat, and there is no enemy within range for him to charge (at High Speed move).

Hatred
Covers all forms of inter-racial animosity, traditional rivalries and grudges, or simple innate aggression.
Characters must make a normal move (Cruising speed minimum) towards the object of their hatred, and must attempt some form of attack. Unlike frenzy, characters may attempt to moderate the damage they inflict, using normal rules.

Ending Psychological Effects:
While under the influence of a Psychological effect, characters may make a Willpower roll to end the effect, with appropriate difficulty levels and penalties.

This is just a start with a bare bones idea, which obviously needs work and filler. There are room for other emotional and psychological effects, as well as rules clarification. Thoughts?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I'd like to see the reference on that.

I have asked and am awaiting a response.

Quote:
Frenzy
Basically a Berserker rage, normally possible only to aliens that are particularly volatile or short-tempered. Humans can't achieve this on their own without training or assistance.
+2D to all Combat and Reaction skills

I have always seen those in frenzy as being unconcerned with/unable to partake in defensive skills. So why would they gain +2d to reactions?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have always seen those in frenzy as being unconcerned with/unable to partake in defensive skills. So why would they gain +2d to reactions?

Good point. Should that be reversed to a -2D penalty?

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with a 2D penalty (or perhaps no reaction skills at all) but by the same token I'd have a frenzied character ignore stun results and not be knocked down by being wounded/wounded twice.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see the 'ignoring stun effects.. but the ignoring knockdowns imo is a little much.. perhaps instead, while frenzied they ignore wound penalties.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
The Game Chambers of Questal had rules for characters suffering the effects of artificially generated fear.

What's the page reference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: