The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lensor as Force-Hound
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lensor as Force-Hound Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Lensor as Force-Hound Reply with quote

So I was watching Chronicles of Riddick this evening and I had a crossover idea of using the Lensors as Force Hounds. Rather than using them as human sensor packs ala the Necromongers of the Riddick universe, the Empire would have developed them as a method to track Jedi and other Force sensitives, attaching them to dedicated Jedi hunter teams.

I have the idea, but I'm soliciting suggestions as to how to use the existing RAW and Force powers to bring it about. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps their 'lenses' sence how strong a midiclorian count someone has.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Perhaps their 'lenses' sense how strong a midiclorian count someone has.

I can see that working as part of it. After all, the JA trilogy has established a tech fix for allowing non Force users to detect Force sensitivity. The only issue for me is that I like the creepiness of the Lensors in their full body suits and weird movement; so having it be just the lense doesn't seem enough. Maybe a combination of some messed up experiment with Palpatine cloning Force sensitives with this result...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene therapy mixing them with Vonskyr..??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Gene therapy mixing them with Vonskyr..??

That would be creepy, certainly. I was thinking more along the lines of a failed experiment in cloning Force sensitives that caused an unexpected side effect. The bigger question for me is how this ability to track Force sensitives would be expressed stat-wise, as far as Force powers used and such.

vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look up the power Sense Force - that would be how I would base this creature.

You could make a species / animal that uses that power to determine force sensitives - but its an opposed check so you can make it a stat that they roll and can put CPs into - this gives you training abilities etc.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
You can look up the power Sense Force - that would be how I would base this creature.

Unfortunately, the description of Sense Force specifically states that it can't be used to detect sentient beings. This may require the invention of a new Force ability, most likely one that is unique to these creatures, due to the manner in which they have been warped and engineered.

IMO, whatever power is used needs to be visual in nature. In the Riddick universe, the Lensors conveyed their information via a readout wired into their central nervous system that was attached to their back, showing infrared visuals, atmospheric composition, etc. To achieve a similar effect, SW Lensors would need to be able to visually detect the aura of a Force sensitive...

Quote:
You could make a species / animal that uses that power to determine force sensitives - but its an opposed check so you can make it a stat that they roll and can put CPs into - this gives you training abilities etc.

I can go along with that up to a point, but I don't want it to be too easy to avoid detection.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a variant of sense force potential, but unlike the SFP force power there is no 'kick back' based on how strong they are.
Can be resisted wth willpower or control/perception.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could use Life Detection then - IIRC it allows you to determine if hte user is a force user.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but maybe instead of giving them force skills and powers, you might want to treat it as a species ability. Like the way Miraluk can "See" via the Force.

It would be something the EMperor would like, since it would prevent the hounds from getting any Force abilites that could challenge him.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vornskr have an ability to hunt and detect beings through the force. They're especially drawn to force users. Perhaps some sort of genetic experiment crossing Vornskr dna with some other species. Maybe a Miraluka to give it force sight, which gives you the display similar to the lensor.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned mixing vonskry dna above.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO you could just give them a Jedi Sense Power/Skill under PER. Maybe even as a Search specialty. Track alsways did look sorta lonely to me!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the Miraluka suggestion. In the EU, the Empire has a track record of using and abusing alien races for its own ends, and the idea of forcing the Miraluka to be used in this fashion seems a nasty twist to add to the background. Additionally, since the Miraluka's Force sight is described vaguely at best, there may not even be a need to do genetic splicing and the like; it could easily be explained away as part of their natural ability.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you could do is expand upon the "Emperor's Hand" idea. Perhaps the Emperor has several types of agents out there, each trained for a specific and limited task. That way no one person or group can pose any threat to him.

The altered Miraluk could be the "Emperor's Eyes" are are tasked with locating Jedi and other Force Sensitives for the Emperor.

He could have several different group all compartmentalized from each other so they can't join forces against him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: