The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Spark in the Darkness - IC Chapter II
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Fading Light - vong -> A Spark in the Darkness - IC Chapter II Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anala looks at Rownn, "What about that 'Life Debt' thing? Can we use that in some way? Wookiees will latch onto someone if they feel they owe that person right? We can pair you up with anyone in our group that way. We could even pass you off as a scholar or something like that?" A thoughtful look crosses her face, "Besides, it might be nice to have someone along that everyone thinks is a non-combatant that can actually handle themselves. You're as gintle natured of a wookiee as I've ever met, could we pass you off as having a genetic or mental defect that leaves you unwilling to do violence?"
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rownn listens, his expression thoughtful. "Thank you," he switches to address the idea following the compliment, "The life-debt could certainly be utilized, though we will need to decide on the details of how it was attained; we don't enter into a debt lightly. I was planning Chalkazza to be an ill-tempered mercenary, and have requisitioned some weapons to work that idea, however, I'm flexible and they need not be used. The only problems might be conveying the change of plans to Lt. Eckmire for recruiting the other Wookiee, and in my ability to pull off the ruse. I may work on being gentle natured, but, I'm no scholar, and don't know how to fake knowledge convincingly."

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anala suppresses a soft laugh, "Playing the scholar is an easy con to run. Choose an obscure subject that no one in their right mind will know anything about. Then upload all the information we can find onto a datapad and burry your nose in it every chance you get. If anyone asks you a question about your 'field of expertiece', you bring it up on your datapad and insist on showing them what you are talking about because 'your notes explain it so much better than you can.'"
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rownn straightens his posture, crossing his arms as he takes a deep breath, his eyes narrowed in shrewd appreciation of Anala's cunning. Releasing the breath with a slow nod, he grins, "That could work. It would also mean that I don't need to carry around weapons, which can... open certain doors."

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That could work," Zinn says thoughtfully. "However, there's a bit of risk with the scholar angle; sure, no one in their right mind would know much about your chosen topic. However, we're talking the Peace Brigade here - a group of people who want to work with the Vong. They've already demonstrated that they're NOT in their right minds. Plus, any topic you choose is going to have a group of people who follow such information; we'd be constantly running the risk of actually bumping into someone who does."

Looking at Rownn, he asks, "Are there any fields in which you are more knowledgeable? Besides Jedi lore and such, I mean. For example, Wookiees are known for being great mechanics. Are you skilled there? If you have an area in which you have great skill, but doesn't pertain to Jedi abilities, it would be much simpler for you to play that up; at least you'd be in an area where you don't have to fake ability, which leaves no room for slip-ups."
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to Zinn, "Thats part of the reason he'd have his nose in a datapad all the time. The important thing is to get down the basics of the subject, then do his best to keep up with any new articles. Last week's news is irrelivant. So long as he has a basic understanding of the subject and spends his free time keeping up with new material on the subject, he should be fine." Anala smirks, "Even the Peace Brigade should have trouble listening to discussion about Hutt sanitary habits, or," She makes a face of pure disgust, "Toydarian mating habbits."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinn holds up his hands, palms-out. "I don't mean to seem like I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing, but aren't scholars the people who know all the little minutiae that makes up so much more than a 'basic understanding?' They're the people who can launch into an hour-long lecture, at a moment's notice, about the subject of their devotion...and they can, invariably, do it without a datapad. I'm not saying it's a bad idea. In fact, I think it a really great idea; my only concern is that Rownn needs to have a non-Jedi-related topic about which he can lecture without having reference materials on-hand. My reasoning for that, beyond what I've said, is this: what happens when the datapad containing all his information isn't available, yet he's suddenly expected to come up with something off the cuff about the subject he's supposedly been studying for years, if not decades? That kind of dedication lends a person a truly vast working knowledge of the subject; it's kinda like the chief engineer on a capital ship being able to pinpoint a malfunction based solely on how it's affecting the vibration of the deck plates, or solely on someone else's description of how the problem is affecting the ship's handling. He doesn't need to consult a tech manual; he simply knows. For this idea to truly work, Rownn is going to at least be able to give the impression of having that level of knowledge about something, which is why I asked him if he has any such topics that won't peg him instantly as a Jedi, or at least, as someone who has thoroughly studied them. Unless..." His voice trails off as he considers something for a moment. "...Unless he portrays himself as someone who, for some reason, truly hates the Jedi with every fiber of his being. From that angle, he'll have a good reason to know so much about them. He'd also have a reason for carrying the weapons he's requisitioned, and he'll look that much more attractive to the Peacers, since his supposed desires will align with theirs."
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A basic understanding will allow him to understand any conversation that dosnt involve the newest articles on the subject." Anala states, "The datapad actually serves two puropses. The first is that it keeps his information close at hand, the second is that it makes him look like a socialy inept person who is obsessed with his field of study. The more time he spends in the role, the better prepared he will become to deal with unexpected conversations. Besides, people dont study wierd subjects because they are good with people." She seems to think about something for a moment, "I'm not sure about the whole Jedi hating angle. Why does he hate them, and how has he expressed that hate in the past?"
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny raises his good hand. "Can he be an expert in Effffoomian pffychology? It'ff pretty rare to ffee Effffoomianff around and it giveff him a reaffon to hang out with me and Anala. He might be fftudying me and why I don't think right."

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinn shrugs. "Possibly, Tiny...although that might open doors to him being expected to be well-versed in general psychology, meaning it covers a host of beings, if not all. Something to consider, though..."

"As for Rownn hating Jedi, and demonstrating that...his life may have been drastically altered because..." he thinks for a moment. "Say some Jedi was mediating a dispute involving his family somehow. We'd have to come up with an incident. The mediation didn't go his family's way, and as a result, they ended up bankrupt. Being forced from a life of decent living to destitution is something that countless beings have gone through. No one said it had to be a rational reason, but it'd make sense to him. His demonstration would be throwing his life into studying those he perceived as enemies, training his body for an eventual confrontation, and his currently going around looking for said confrontation. The Peacers would snap him up in a heartbeat, because in him they could have an agent to do their dirty work without it necessarily being traced to them; that way, if things went the Vong's way, they could claim credit...but if the New Republic wins out, they can have plausible deniability where he's concerned. It'd be a win-win for them. It could even be passed on that the intel we used to 'kill' Rownn came through his alter ego, which will give him credit for the act even though he'll be unable to appear he had anything to do with it, since he'll be busy 'dying.'"
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anala shakes her head slowly, "If I was someone who wanted to harm the Jedi in some way, that story would sound too good to be true. And in my experience, anything that sounds too good to be true, is."
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinn shrugs. "I'm just trying to flesh out some ideas; there could be another reason he'd hate the Jedi, or something else he could have done that was more concrete to have acted against them. I still think that, for the scholar idea, he's going to have to have a topic he's already well-versed in, so that his time studying his datapad will simply be building on that knowledge. And my question still stands: what happens when his datapad is no longer available to him, for whatever reason? He'll have to be able to stand on his own knowledge...and it'd better be extensive to be believable."
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Looking at Rownn, he asks, "Are there any fields in which you are more knowledgeable? Besides Jedi lore and such, I mean. For example, Wookiees are known for being great mechanics. Are you skilled there? If you have an area in which you have great skill, but doesn't pertain to Jedi abilities, it would be much simpler for you to play that up; at least you'd be in an area where you don't have to fake ability, which leaves no room for slip-ups."

"Yes, that's my worry too. No, I'm a simple being, I've always focused on fighting and hunting, I've never been one for books or machines."

He listens to the remaining conversation, "Jedi-hate isn't all that common in the Galaxy; it exists, for certain, but isn't that prevalent. Coming up with a plausible reason for it is probably more trouble than it's worth. I'm also not convinced that that Peace Brigade, as an organization, has a dislike for Jedi, let alone a hatred... we just don't have that evidence. Yes, they are advocating peace with, and acceptance of the invading Yuuzhan Vong, who seem to have a hatred of my kind, I think any anti-Jedi sentiment the Peace Brigade might be demonstrating is secondary to their purpose, not a primary element; a means to an end, not an end unto itself. Like Anala said, it's too convenient to be properly believable. I think for the most part, opinions of Jedi in the Brigade are largely irrelevant." He pauses a moment, "Of course, if we're successful, we'll be able to corroborate these ideas with actual evidence rather than conjecture."

He continues on a second later, "I do tend to agree with Zinn that the best disguise is one that doesn't rely upon additional elements; the loss of items or equipment shouldn't hamper our ability to pull off the play. This is largely why I initially chose a quiet mercenary type. If we think we can get me up to speed on a good topic quickly enough, however, the scholar idea can stand too."

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anala does her best to follow what Rownn has to say, once she is sure she has the jest of it, "Going in as a merc will be the simplest solution and involve less risk. On the other hand, going in as a scholar would give us a wild card once we're inside." She shrugs, "Both have their risks, and their potential payoffs," She gestures at Rownn, "As far as I'm concerned, its your call. Do whichever you're more comfortable with."
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rownn nods, "I'll put some thought into it."

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Fading Light - vong All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: