The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A Spark in the Darkness - IC Chapter II
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Fading Light - vong -> A Spark in the Darkness - IC Chapter II Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: A Spark in the Darkness - IC Chapter II Reply with quote

Garolf and Zinn both meet at the weapons stores at 6AM in the morning a bit tired after a late night. They both submit their request for new weapons to which the clerk replies "Here is your request ID" handing over a flimsi "You can expect to hear a response within 2-3 weeks. If you wish to purchase the weapons out of your own salary, please go see Corpral Twist in second D and we will acquire the weapons for you. If this is a mission critical item please have the assigning officer review your request number and apply his recommendation and desire for fast tracking your request."

ooc: if you can post the stats of the item you wish to acquire that will help me (make, model, cost, availibity, damage, the whole stat block would be appriciated)

The whole group meets at 0900 or slightly before in their appointed meeting room. Your presenter does not manage to make it into the room until about 5 after

Lt Eckmire (the Givin who gave you your last mission) comes into the room and says "Sorry for being a bit tardy, was partying pretty hard last night" with a smile. A protocol droid makes his way into the room and stands in a corner. "But I shall continue." Lt Eckmire says "The Peace Brigade is an organization that was formed about 6 months ago. While they originally started off a group of people advocating that we should ally ourselves with the Yuuzhan Vong it seems they have gone out and made contact with the Yuuzhan Vong. One of our major advantages we have had thus far is the Yuuzhan Vong seem to be completely against using our technology to gather information. This Peace Brigade will be able to convey information gathered with technology, provide maps, and allow them to know which systems are most important to us. Intelligence has suspicions that they are planning on using the Yuuzhan Vong's hatred for the Jedi to ingratiate themselves with the invaders. We need you to attempt to infiltrate with their order and discern their strength and the breadth of their influence. I believe that this order will become a dangerous force int he future as it plays on the fears of the people of the New Republic. They will flock to the Peace Brigade in hopes that the Yuuzhan Vong will spare them." He pauses for a moment to allow it to sink in

"This is where I will need your consent for the mission. You will have to be dishonorably discharged from the military to allow some credibility to your story. An Esomian, Wookie, Gand and Shistavanen in one group even disguised would be too obvious. This mission will be covert, so you will probably earn some bad blood upon your discharge. Your official mission will be a cover, but we will have to decide that when the time comes. You will be botching that mission and probably bombing some New Republic equipment. I know you guys may not have the subterfuge skills so I have arranged some intensive trainers for you to take advantage of. I know there is a language barrier between members of your team so I encourage you to train your skills to gain fluency in the languages required to communicate. Since the Yuuzhan Vong hate droids, you will not be able to bring a translator droid along with you."

"I personally think this team was suggested because there are civilians, Jedi and Military aspects to the team. Each of those branches will be interested in this information, the Jedi Order more then most. Since you have a loose affiliation with the New Republic, you have spent time out side of the military you are not as close to any part of the New Republic as current ranking officers. It is plausible that the military has gone in a direction that you do not agree on. You will be shipped to a training facility where you should meet a Coynite mercenary As’Rais Har’Torek on location to help bolster both your numbers and your credibility. (ooc Garolf recognizes the name but cant quite place it at the moment...) You should have one to two months for intensive training to get your skills up to speed"

He pauses for a moment to read something on his datapad before continuing "The medical staff have informed that Tiny will be fit for trial in about a month. He is being charged with two counts of Murder for his actions on the planet. The trial date is set for 1 week after he is scheduled to get out. If you want him to remain on your team you will have to also spend time preparing a defense. The people he murdered on the planet might help make your story more credible as well. But those decisions are up to you and your team. Let me know if you have any questions at this point."

------

ooc: now for the CP usage. There will be no limit to what you want to spend your CPs on. Tiny will have less time for training so wont be able to put as much into any one skill. A protocol droid will be provided to the team to help them train in any language they wish to know. 5D is mostly fluent, 6D is completely fluent (iirc) Please post in the ooc thread where you wish to spend your CPs before applying it to your character sheet for my approval.

ooc: I will probably be away for most of the weekend so feel free to continue RPing amongst yourselves.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I understand this is a cover, but will intelligence have a file in place to clear us once this assignment is done? Or at least someone who knows the truth." Gaolf asks then motions towards Zinn. "Some of us are still young enough that if they decide to actually follow a military career for a few more years then they will be needing to clear their names once this is done. And this is a covert op."

Wanted Poster
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lt. Eckmire says "While I will know your cover, a sealed file will be created and stored in intelligence. Only you will know the key code for that file. A key phrase will be chosen by you so only you know the unlock code. The phrase will be able to be verified by intelligence to unlock the file and read the details on the mission. This will be in place in case something happens to me while you are away. I would suggest perhaps keeping a record of all illegal activities that you do to help support your cover. While you are authorized to commit crimes, we ask that you try to limit the seriousness of those crimes. Obviously we cannot come up with a set of rules you have to follow while under-cover as the situation changes frequently in the field. You will have to use your better judgement on that part. Command will want a full report of your criminal activities while you were under cover upon your return though."

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Keep a record of our crimes?" Zinn says incredulously. "Does anyone else feel like they're getting set up to take the fall for a Galactic Market scheme?" He looks at Eckmire. "I understand the need for thoroughness, but what you're asking us to do is akin to a stockbroker keeping a detailed ledger of their activities, and praying no one finds it. It's like we're being asked to keep a running, detailed confession ready so that, when this is all over, there will be justification in place for our courts-martial and ejection from the military."

He shakes his head. "I don't mean to be disrespectful, but the only officers I trust to make sure things are copacetic and properly done are the ones on my team. And I'd probably trust Admiral Ackbar, or Wedge Antilles, Luke Skywalker, or even Leia Organa-Solo. Beyond that, I can't say I trust the people currently in place to not simply feed us to the rancor when this is all over." He looks at Garolf. "Sir, do you honestly think that "a file in place" will be sufficient to clear us? My gut is telling me that such a file is too easily deleted, and then we're vaped."
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting quietly, listening to what the others have to say, Rownn has his own concerns. When Zinn is done voicing his concerns, he quietly bellows his commentary, the first part directed towards his team, the second towards Eckmire; the protocol droid translates.

"Master Rownn expresses that this sort of turn is not uncommon for covert operations teams, and that when the mission is over you will likely remain a covert team; reintegration with the main body of the military is unlikely. Your team may never be 'cleared', but you should not be 'fed to the rancor'."
"Master Rownn also expresses concerns of involvement in criminal activities. While he is not concerned about the perceived legality of their actions, he feels he cannot partake on a moral level. He says that the previous missions had required some 'end justify the means' actions upon his behalf, and is in a period of atonement for his actions. This period requires strict adherence to the Jedi Code, and actions taken against it would render his efforts moot.
To this end, Master Rownn, as a civilian member of the team, offers to officially retract his involvement with the Republic Military, on the pretense of returning to Jedi activities and training with the Jedi Praxeum at Yavin IV, rejoining the team following their apparent defection and discharge."

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kid, without a file in place we're assuredly vapebait," Garolf says, using an old SpecForce euphemism for Imperial officers. Not exactly appropriate as none of them are Imperial officers, but with Fey'lya in office it doesn't matter to Garolf. "With one in place, chances are better we can get our names cleared. And yes, chances are just as good the file can be erased. But we're already facing a dishonorable as a part of our `cover.' So if anything happens we're already out of the military and facing prison time anyway. And that's if we're lucky and the justices don't simply decide to have us put to death rather than risk our being able to break out. With the shape of things right now I wouldn't be surprised if the normal processes in civillian courts are ignored.

"As for who to trust more than Lt. Eckmire, I wasn't the only one to retire following the peace treaty between the New Republic and the Remnant. Admiral Ackbar retired following Fey'lya's becoming Chief of State. Both were major news stories just a few years ago, Borsk Fey'lya succeeding Organa Solo as Chief of State and Admiral Ackbar resigning as Supreme Commander of the New Republic Defense Force. General Antilles' retirement was also major news when it happened. Afterall the leader of Rogue Squadron's retirement is going to go unnoticed. Save for Master Skywalker I doubt any of them are in place to do anything for us. But there may be other ways."

(OOC: knowledge 3D to see if Garolf can place As’Rais Har’Torek)

Wanted Poster
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lt Eckmire replies to Rownns concerns "Would it not look more suspicious if you did not partake in the first part of the mission? That part will not be illegal from your perspective - as you will know you have full authorization to demolish the specified area. Those orders will be hidden so most will think you are acting against the New Republic. But your concerns of a Jedi joining the side of chaos are indeed valid. It might be wiser for you to head back to the Jedi Academy and then return to the group disguised. The only part that you may have a problem with will be after that first phase where you may have to commit some petty crimes to help strengthen your cover story. You will have to hide your Jedi abilities though."

He then turns to Zinn and says "I am sorry you feel that way Lt Valimar, I do hope that we can attempt to foster a trust between us in the future. The reason I am asking for you to keep a record of your crimes is so that we can ensure that we expunge your name from any crime you have committed, but we cant grant a "all crimes you ever commited" waiver - legally speaking. Specific crimes will have to be mentioned. You can attempt to rely on your memory to catalog the acts you commit, butt here may be some loose ends when you return. I was simply trying to ensure that your names are completely clear upon your return. As for the ease of the file to be deleted, that is a risk. Another risk is that I become a victim of the war. I would have offered for you to take a copy of the file along with you, but felt the risk of you carrying around New Republic orders was too great. While they would be encrypted, I am sure there is a slicer out there who could decrypt them. At least the file that we store is in a secure location. If indeed you do feel that this mission has too much risk for you, I understand. As I said, the nature of this mission is voluntary for each member, if I deem that not enough members wish to partake I will find a new assignment for the group."

Garolf scratches his brain trying to place the name, but is not quite able to do it here in the meeting. He thinks he remembers the name from back when he was in fighting the fragmented warlords of the Empire... He will have to review a few mission reports to make the final connection.

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinn looks at Garolf. "I realize that, sir. I'm not saying such a file shouldn't be there. And I know that almost all the people I mentioned have retired. But that's my point; they're every one of them good, solid people. People who I have EVERY confidence that they'd help us out, were they still in a position to do so."

He looks at Eckmire. "And I meant no insult or disrespect to you; I simply don't know you from the Emperor's mother. I would like to think that you are just as solid as the people we always saw on the vids; but only time will prove that.

"Also, I agree with Rownn. I don't like the idea of just wading out there and committing crimes right and left. Or just to one side, for that matter." He shifts in his seat. "I mean, I totally understand the need to do some shady things to gain the trust of these Peace Brigade scum...but how far are we expected to go? I mean, that is a slippery slope we're talking about."
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lt Eckmire nods and says "You are authorized to go as far as you deem necessary. Obviously we would like you to keep your crimes as petty as possible, but you know how some criminals are - they may put you in a situation where you have to kill or be killed." He pauses for a moment before continuing "We dont even know if they are criminals, they may just want you to betray New Republic secrets. Perhaps just help provide a reasonable cover to help get one of their spies in our ranks. The fact is we dont know the full scope of their intentions and moral compass. We have seen that your team is willing to risk their lives for the New Republic, so management has seen fit to trust you with the loose perimeters of this mission. We also understand there is a fair amount of risk involved, which is why the mission is optional."

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinn nods at Eckmire. "Kill or be killed is understandable, if it's self-defense. Still not preferable; life is precious. I'm just worried that the mission might rob us of our ability to USE our moral compass.

"I'm all for preserving the New Republic...and even the Imperial Remnant, in the face of this invasion, because they mean to wipe us out entirely. They've made that abundantly clear. But I'm hoping, at some point, to receive training in the Force. I don't want to have to go to the Praxeum to do that, when we have such a dire threat staring us in the collective face. But I also can't jeopardize that by getting elbow-deep in this mission. If we go on it, we're going to have to be extremely careful."

He looks at Rownn. "We might seriously need you along to help guide us in that regard, Rownn. You and Orrallyn might be our best defense against going too far."
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rownn comments, the droid translating, "Master Rownn says he cannot protect you from yourselves, and that maintaining your compass and integrity is a test you must each face alone, just as he shall be forced to face it. He seems to imply that such tests are intimately personal in nature, and telling of one's true character."

With the droid's adlib, the Wookiee glances in its direction, "Master Rownn adds that even Jedi are required, from time to time, to operate outside the law, and this requirement should not be a major impediment; there is a distinction between right and legal, and you should count yourselves fortunate that the Force does not enforce this distinction as heavily for those who cannot use it."

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinn looks back at Rownn. "What about those who COULD use it, but simply haven't been trained?"
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rownn sets his gaze upon Zinn for a moment, then responds in low tones, "Master Rownn inquires if you are, by any chance, referring to yourself, Master Zinn?"

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There may be other, more important and team personal reasons to have you with us, Rownn," Garolf puts in. "Such as if Tiny comes with us."

He then turns his attention back to the Lt.

"You say this mission is optional. What are the other options available? Options, hopefully, that will not put us in a position of unleashing an even greater threat on the galaxy."

Wanted Poster
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rownn takes his gaze from Zinn, the topic being dropped, and addresses Garolf, "Master Rownn says he intends to undertake the mission, and to uphold his duty to oversee and help Tiny. He says that he is currently undertaking a ritual to strengthen his relationship with the light side of the Force, which requires strict adherence to the Jedi Code; if the ritual is not complete when the initial acts must be undertaken, he cannot participate in them, he must wait until the ritual is complete. He does say, however, that the ritual may be complete within the month to two month time frame Lt. Eckmire has outlined."

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Fading Light - vong All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: