The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Can a Dark Side adept Jedi slay a Sith Lord
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Can a Dark Side adept Jedi slay a Sith Lord Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Can a Dark Side adept Jedi slay a Sith Lord Reply with quote

Hello All,

Another question for you... Last night I was texting with a PC who wants to pursue the path of the dark side. He as well wants to confront and destroy his Sith Lord father. Is it possible for a dark side adept to defeat a Sith Lord? Wouldn't the Sith Lord stifle all the dark side attacks and simply defeat the PC? Am I mistaken in that a character must be a Jedi or light side attuned in order to defeat a Sith? As least that was my thoughts.

Any assistance on this would be awesome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt M
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can kill a sith. Dude could just get hit with a baseball on the temple and croak. What is the problem is the difference in power level. His master will be more powerful, so he will have to use cunning to do it.

D6 does not have all the powers listed, and is even more lacking when it comes to sith powers. a simple "Wake me when someone enters" does not exist per se, but a Hybernation Trance with a wakeup trigger of "when someone enters the room or my alarm goes off" could be close enough.

I would build the Sith's regular routine of powers that are up - know what he has up at any given time. Dont tell the PC or warn the PC. Tell the PC that he is taking on someone more powerful then himself, and could end with the death of his character.

But David can beat Goliath.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would agree with vong. The thing is, Sith are duplicitous by nature. Most ascend to power by killing their masters when they are given the opportunity. Palpatine killed his master while he slept. Vader threw Palpatine down a giant shaft. You get the picture. It's very unlikely that a low level adept will be able to take on a Sith Lord in a straight up fight, but a bit more likely through trickery. Most Sith tend to be borderline paranoid, so it would not surprise me that they keep danger sense up at most times, being that they are the type to betray people, they fear betrayal at any time. The idea of hybernation trance triggers is a great idea for getting some shut eye without having to worry about someone actually being able to sneak up on you. Nice one vong!

So, in short, absolutely! Let him try. It's a good goal to reach for, but don't be too surprised if going down the dark path in your game leads to an unbalanced game. Once you remove the fear of losing a character to the GM through accruing too many dark side points, you open the door for abuse of dark side powers. I would warn the player that by murdering his own father, his character will accomplish this goal and will then become an NPC, taking up his father's mantle as a villain.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming his pa does not kill him before hand to stop his attempt..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I would send a message to my father telling him how I've found the truth about the force and want to learn more from him. Become his apprentice, gain his trust, and then betray him to his ultimate end. Or something like that.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like any other Jedi. Get him in space and kill him ship-to-ship.

Complete Starship Construction System
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the beauty of D6, anyone can be taken out by just about anybody, no one is out of death's reach.

Of course, taking out a Sith Lord isn't going to be easy, without a crap tonne of luck, but it's possible with a good plan and some luck, even if the differences in skill/power are great. With the Force on the Sith's side, catching him off guard is pretty unlikely, but even the most skilled can slip up, and the most pathetic can have a stroke of luck (the wild die is quite a b**** goddess Wink ).

In all likelihood, though, your dark Jedi PC is toast Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a player do take out his master once. My player had focused on defense and had his apprentice do the same. When the time was right he manipulated his apprentice into believing the master had discovered the apprentice. So the apprentice went after the master. And died. But the apprentice drained some resources from the master, IE force and skill points. Then my player showed up with a generous supply of force points. It came down to he who ran out of force points first lost.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bite. The Jedi issue here is the individual isn't the problem, the problem is the dark side in all of us.

A Jedi can defeat a Sith Lord sure (light or dark jedi, it's irrelevant), only to be defeated in turn by himself. Note Luke's vision in the Dagobah Cave, this is its lesson. Beat Vader only to become Vader?

So the reason why only a fully trained Jedi allied with the Force in all its most positive aspect can truly defeat a Sith Lord is because replacing one isn't defeating him. It's just replacing him.

Playing this out with a PC is a little tricky. What you want to do is guage the PC defeat of the Sith Lord gradually, in stages and along the way try to create situations where the PC responds similarly to how the Sith Lord has been doing things. Then you point out the PC is just becoming another Sith Lord and get him to ponder is he defeating the Sith Lord, or is the Sith Lord defeating him through corruption and self sacrifice? After all, maybe successful Sith live on as Sith Spirits anyway, maybe corrupting a Jedi is his path to immortality?

So for example, say the Sith Lord did a big atrocity where he ordered a genocide of an alien population once.
Through the course of adventures, try to create a situation where the Jedi PC, upon his agenda of defeating this Sith Lord, is forced to order a battle against some anxious alien population. Like he's called in to settle a local dispute and it all gets blown out of proportion and fighting starts, he leads a decisive battle but as it turns out the people who attacked were manipulated and misled or somehow fairly innocent, and in the end it could, arguably be described by tabloid journalists as "a horrible atrocity of genocide upon helpless aliens" or something like that. So it starts to resemble the reputation of the Sith, and makes the Jedi wonder if the atrocity the Sith is famous for, wasn't exaggerated or in some grey area like his was.
But what he doesn't suspect is that this is how the dark side works. Makes you doubt, wonder, question, assume things, feel alone. It works subtlely.

The idea is to make the PC aware that without a very firm self government such as strict adherence to positive Jedi discipline, the only difference between him and a Sith Lord will be his reputation and what people say about it. And they'll say whatever they feel like, a lot of it not what one might prefer. What says they are not right? "I'm me, not a Sith Lord!" But who are you if not a Sith Lord?

What makes Yoda not look like a Sith Lord? Loves kids, good sense of humour, social conscience, he shows in his actions positive Jedi disciplines. Eventually the PC must figure out that to be a Jedi, you have to act like one. Act like a Sith Lord and no matter what you call yourself, you're a Sith Lord, one all other Jedi will fight and other Sith too.
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
I'll bite. The Jedi issue here is the individual isn't the problem, the problem is the dark side in all of us.

A Jedi can defeat a Sith Lord sure (light or dark jedi, it's irrelevant), only to be defeated in turn by himself. Note Luke's vision in the Dagobah Cave, this is its lesson. Beat Vader only to become Vader?

So the reason why only a fully trained Jedi allied with the Force in all its most positive aspect can truly defeat a Sith Lord is because replacing one isn't defeating him. It's just replacing him.

Playing this out with a PC is a little tricky. What you want to do is guage the PC defeat of the Sith Lord gradually, in stages and along the way try to create situations where the PC responds similarly to how the Sith Lord has been doing things. Then you point out the PC is just becoming another Sith Lord and get him to ponder is he defeating the Sith Lord, or is the Sith Lord defeating him through corruption and self sacrifice? After all, maybe successful Sith live on as Sith Spirits anyway, maybe corrupting a Jedi is his path to immortality?

So for example, say the Sith Lord did a big atrocity where he ordered a genocide of an alien population once.
Through the course of adventures, try to create a situation where the Jedi PC, upon his agenda of defeating this Sith Lord, is forced to order a battle against some anxious alien population. Like he's called in to settle a local dispute and it all gets blown out of proportion and fighting starts, he leads a decisive battle but as it turns out the people who attacked were manipulated and misled or somehow fairly innocent, and in the end it could, arguably be described by tabloid journalists as "a horrible atrocity of genocide upon helpless aliens" or something like that. So it starts to resemble the reputation of the Sith, and makes the Jedi wonder if the atrocity the Sith is famous for, wasn't exaggerated or in some grey area like his was.
But what he doesn't suspect is that this is how the dark side works. Makes you doubt, wonder, question, assume things, feel alone. It works subtlely.

The idea is to make the PC aware that without a very firm self government such as strict adherence to positive Jedi discipline, the only difference between him and a Sith Lord will be his reputation and what people say about it. And they'll say whatever they feel like, a lot of it not what one might prefer. What says they are not right? "I'm me, not a Sith Lord!" But who are you if not a Sith Lord?

What makes Yoda not look like a Sith Lord? Loves kids, good sense of humour, social conscience, he shows in his actions positive Jedi disciplines. Eventually the PC must figure out that to be a Jedi, you have to act like one. Act like a Sith Lord and no matter what you call yourself, you're a Sith Lord, one all other Jedi will fight and other Sith too.

Thanks to all!

So I explained to the Jedi in training his 2 possible paths. Path A - He continues his Force training with a Jedi Master and is close to knighthood skill level. He then confronts and destroys or redeems his Father and becomes a Jedi Knight and his strength in the Force causes Vader to seek him out.

Path B - Character pursues path of evil and is kicked out of PC group. He seeks out Sith Lord father to train him in the Dark Side, murders and betrays his father killing him, then is confronted and potentially destroyed by his Jedi Master. Consequently he preferred Path A...

Best,
MM
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also had path c.

Character pursues path of evil and is kicked out of PC group. He seeks out Sith Lord father to train him in the Dark Side. Due to the training the character instantly shifts into an NPC, player now makes up a new pc to play.. DM decides whether new darksider succeeds or not in taking out his father.
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
You also had path c.

Character pursues path of evil and is kicked out of PC group. He seeks out Sith Lord father to train him in the Dark Side. Due to the training the character instantly shifts into an NPC, player now makes up a new pc to play.. DM decides whether new darksider succeeds or not in taking out his father.

Yeah...true...I want to avoid option C as much as possible. I would much rather have the character try to become a Jedi and make his way to confronting his Father, even though he still struggles somewhat with anger and self-control. Instead of attempting to redeem his Father, if his Father in unrepentant, he will strike down and kill his father. The ultimate question becomes does he have too many dark side points in him to come back from the dark side if he gives into hate after killing his Father. If so then the campaign may end with his Jedi Master slaying him and finalizing the circle of the angry son killing the flawed father and being killed by his own hate.

MM
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May we enquirer how many DSPs he currently has? And how is he receiving training as is?
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
May we enquirer how many DSPs he currently has? And how is he receiving training as is?

He has 2 dark side points at the moment. 1 for killing a sniper by using force telekinesis to crush him with an enormously heavy thick tree and the 2nd for using a red hued lightsaber that he found to cut off the head of an unconscious Wookie. In our 3rd gaming session he received training in the Force from a Jedi Master. This training occurred for 4 days. In our 4th session the PC encountered another Jedi who helped him work on his Force meditation. He has not been trained since.

MM
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you offering him the temptation of the dark side bonus to his force skills?

2 dark side points = +2D to his force abilities, however it makes it much easier for him to receive dark side points. Otherwise if you refuse the bonus, the difficulty for all non-selfish acts with the force are increased one level. It's a fun little plot device to make sure the player wants his character to stay on the straight and narrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: