The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GPS in Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> GPS in Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of technical points:
KageRyu wrote:
the RPG books, as well as all other official material says a Hyperspace jump can not be initiated in a gravity well - Orbit is still within a gravity well by definition.
If gravity in Star Wars is anything like gravity in the real world, there's no place in the universe not in a gravity well to some degree or another. A ship would generate it's own shallow gravity well, too.
garhkal wrote:
Remember hyper comm units drain enormous power to operate, something i don't see a sattelite being able to generate.
If it can generate the energy necessary to enter hyperspace, it can probably generate enough energy to run a hypercomm.

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
If it can generate the energy necessary to enter hyperspace, it can probably generate enough energy to run a hypercomm.

Well, according to the info in ISB, it cant enter hyperspace on its own..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. It requires a special vessel with precise knowledge of the HOST' location to physically dock with it to bring it out of hyperspace.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, we'll never mind then. It's been awhile since I read up on those things.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just home from hospital - not feeling well. Hoping we can all at least reach a common ground. If any of this seems terse, I apologize in advance, in a lot of pain, hard to focus.
Fallon Kell wrote:
If gravity in Star Wars is anything like gravity in the real world, there's no place in the universe not in a gravity well to some degree or another. A ship would generate it's own shallow gravity well, too.

This is really stretching the term "Gravity Well" to an extreme to create a straw man argument. However, the books do state a sufficient gravity well of a planet or moon (or obviously whatever amount of Mass an interdictor generates from it's artificial wells - but my point is not to mince hairs, and I will not.
crmcneill wrote:
[IIRC, the point was not that the ship had to be completely outside of a planet's gravity well to jump, merely that it had to be far enough outside to safely make the jump

Again, differing information from 1st to 2nd editions with vague numbers just thrown in to give the rules some numbers - already said why I did not like this. However, as I said, Orbit by definition is within the substantial gravity well of the planet.
Quote:
50 units was simply the benchmark that WEG applied to generate a usable distance for gaming purposes.

Agreed, but there is why I have a problem with the number, it's completely arbitrary.
Quote:
By definition, anything that occurs inside of a solar system (or even a galaxy itself) occurs within a gravity well, so it is not a matter of being completely outside of a gravity well as it is being far enough away that the effect of the gravity field is sufficiently reduced to safely make a jump to hyperspace.

Again stretching the complexity of what constitutes a gravity well and overcomplicating...yes every speck of dust has gravity in physics, but this is being extreme. The rulebooks do say items posessing mass and gravity meteor sized and larger, and the rulebooks are vague on proximity and size too. Never liked this aspect, however it was worse when the rulebooks then created "fluff" to fill the gaps.

Quote:
As I said, if the object were placed sufficiently far out from the planet to safely permit a jump to hyperspace, then the sheer volume of space involved is immense, and the chances of an intersection between a satellite and another starship, however massive, are vanishingly small. Just because something is possible does not make it probable.

Yes and no - few things to consider are at what distance placed out from a planet is it no longer servicable and also when it si orbitting at super-luminal velocities that seemingly vast distance becomes ever so much less vast as you very well have a solid ring of satelite for practical purposes. Consider at lightspeed, ligth takes 6 minutes to reach earth from the sun...how many times faster than light is a x5 hyperdrive (somewhere I have an approximation I can find I did the math once). So even placed ou past lunar orbit, a satelite orbitting at those speeds would potentially collide with itself - also at this point I will point out the very dangerous slope this is falling into trying to apply real world physics and properties to Star Wars - it just doesn't work and will suck the fun right out of everything.

Quote:
As far as your assertion that jumping to hyperspace too close to a planet can cause a natural disaster, I would appreciate it if you could quote some sources.
I will try ot find a source, but keep in mind, we are talking how many novels, comics, daily strips, short stories, conflicting interviews with Lucas Himself, RPG material since 1977? I do not have all the sources committed to memory. Fairly sure there was at least 1 or rumor of 1 such world in official WEG RPG material though - remember reading something of the sort where it spoke of hyperdrive safeties to prevent jumps in a gravity well or close proximity to a planet, and the consequences (on longer thought, it may have been in regards to jumping within an atmoshere even...and if anyone knows of that and that turns out to be what I was thinking I will connceed this particular point).

Quote:
Not sure where you are getting this. Every source I have read, including the WEG sourcebooks, states that hyperpace is an alternate dimension where the physical distances traveled are much shorter than their realspace analogs. Even the name "hyperspace" implies an alternate physical realm where things move faster.

I actually got it from numerous behind the scenes interviews with Lucas, especially during the makingws of Empire and Jedi where he was clear that Hyperspcae was different in Star Wars than in common pulp-sci-fi, as he was trying to explain why he used Hyperspace and Lightspeed interchangably. There were also a number of Novels, Daily strips, and technical reference books for Star Wars put out in that time that establishes this as well. I will conced that even in the first edition RPG it does say it's another dimension with different laws of physics, but then goes on to describe a parrellel "Shadow Dimension" copy of realspace with everything co-existuing, just not bound by the laws of physics as we know them - and that the ship still "exists" in real space while traveling in hyperspace in that same shadowy essense (which gets pretty wierd on the reading - Star Wars the Role Playing Game 1st Edition Pages 59 through 61). It's not until much later novels and RPG books where Hyperspace becomes the complete self-sealed, self contained alternate field as seen in sources such as Traveller, and Babylon 5 - this was more the point I was illustrating...i.e. unlike in Traveller or B5, in Star Wars the Jump to Lightspeed does not completely remove you from this space time reality - you still exist of a fashion in realspace, and have a mass that can be detected and effected by things in Real Space (Star Wars the Role Playing Game 1st Edition pages 59 through 61).

Quote:
I think I was suffering from something similar. 3amitis, or something.

I think we both were, and I may have taken the response a bit too harshly (possibly already being a nervous wreck about the impending medical procedures).It just felt like I was told "you don't know what your talking about, sod off and read the books". I know now that was not your intent.

I think a bigger part of the issue is, and it's directly do to the age and success of Star Wars, there is so much contradictory "official" material for it even. Part of this has a lot to do with Star Wars' creator himself constantly changing things, or releasing contradictory sources of information. For this reason I don't think any 2 Star Wars fans will ever see eye to eye on entyhing as we will all take what we like or dislike from given sources and run it through or personal filters (for example, the concept of Yasilimir...I can't stand them and they do not exist in my Star Wars worlds). Couple this with the issue that such contradictory elements, along with much else, are constantly being retconned, rewritten, or adjusted to either make them fit better, or bring them more into line with other popular sci-fi concepts and theories.

Quote:
That being said, I see a system like this existing in parallel to existing, real-space-based systems, perhaps as a next evolutionary step, or perhaps as a purely military system specifically developed to counter a satellite's vulnerability. Such a system would likely not be deployed long term, and could potentially be self-deploying and recovering (more along the lines of a drone starship that jumps into a target system in advance of a task force, staying in its pre-planned orbit for the duration of the conflict, then jumping back out of the system once the battle is over and more conventional systems can be safely established).

An interesting concept and adaptation - a drone ship, or even a crewed CnC ship that keeps jumping in and out to make sweeps and make itslef harder to target is a very interesting tactic.

Quote:
As far as GPS on a galactic scale, using the pre-existing Holo-Net, I see that as much more viable for your suggestion of co-opting an enemy's technology for personal use. There are already several instances in the official material of the Holo-Net being used by the Fringe or the Alliance for their own purposes.

I truly like the concept of a galactic scale, near real time GPS of sorts, though it definately seems to be beyond the scope of even the tech in Star Wars. Still it would be a lovely idea to address in a D6 setting type book overall, for a really advanced race or species perhaps. Though with the whole co-opting of systems, computers and electronic warfar in real life have come so far since Star Wars and the RPG books were conceived. I would love to see some updated rules and enhancements for said effects ( I did have some I was working on for D6 in general for that afore mentioned marines campaign, but those are still rough notes and all handwritten on spiral bound notebooks at this time).

Quote:
Hope your surgery goes alright, and good luck to you.

Thank you.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Just home from hospital - not feeling well. Hoping we can all at least reach a common ground. If any of this seems terse, I apologize in advance, in a lot of pain, hard to focus.
Fallon Kell wrote:

This is really stretching the term "Gravity Well" to an extreme to create a straw man argument. However, the books do state a sufficient gravity well of a planet or moon (or obviously whatever amount of Mass an interdictor generates from it's artificial wells - but my point is not to mince hairs, and I will not.
Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I hope the near future finds you well.

The term "gravity well" is already stretched. Classically, it is used to describe the gravitational pull of an object in terms of what combination of kinetic energy and altitude you need to reach escape velocity. For a ship, this velocity is so small as to make the term impractical, but by no means stretched.

As usual, xkcd is relevant.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
...term "gravity well" is already stretched. Classically, it is used to describe the gravitational pull of an object in terms of what combination of kinetic energy and altitude you need to reach escape velocity. For a ship, this velocity is so small as to make the term impractical, but by no means stretched.

Ok, if the word stretched gives pause, how about, taking the over extreme beyond the obvious context of the term as used in the referenced RPG book and in the obviously applicable context so as to indulge in minutia to further an unescessary direction of discussion?
Do we really need to engage in the minutia of first defining the absolute mathmatical specicifcs of what we will call a gravity well, or can we all let some form of common sense prevail as to the apropriate contextual reference without getting off track? Do we really want this to go the path of an atypical Trek discussion? Did Kirk press 9561 or 6591? Depends on the episode...
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Ok, if the word stretched gives pause, how about, taking the over extreme beyond the obvious context of the term as used in the referenced RPG book and in the obviously applicable context so as to indulge in minutia to further an unescessary direction of discussion?
My use of the term is and was more correct and less stretched, not less correct and more extremely stretched. The problem with the phrase "within the gravity well" in this instance is that it offers no definition. What is a word or a phrase with no definition?

We're sitting here trying to determine what is and is not in a gravity well that stretches to the ends of the universe, using definitionally arbitrary units of distance. And I'm not applying common sense?

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
We're sitting here trying to determine what is and is not in a gravity well that stretches to the ends of the universe, using definitionally arbitrary units of distance. And I'm not applying common sense?

You're talking about a gravity well that stretches to the end of the universe using arbitrary terms.
As I have said- I am refering to the term gravity well as used in the contexts of the existing material, i.e. of sufficient mass of a planet or small moon. Even astro-physicists when discussing gravity tend to only use the term "Gravity Well" when talking about it on a scale of planetoids and large, and not specs of dust - so no, it seems like you are not using common sense since you want to put it that way - it is seems like you are just trying to be argumentative - especially twisting my words into saying you aren't using common sense.
Now, can we please stop the symantics and minimalist/maximalist defining of words and phrases in extreme minutia - they only serve to derail the topic.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:

You're talking about a gravity well that stretches to the end of the universe using arbitrary terms.
As I have said- I am refering to the term gravity well as used in the contexts of the existing material, i.e. of sufficient mass of a planet or small moon. Even astro-physicists when discussing gravity tend to only use the term "Gravity Well" when talking about it on a scale of planetoids and large, and not specs of dust - so no, it seems like you are not using common sense since you want to put it that way - it is seems like you are just trying to be argumentative - especially twisting my words into saying you aren't using common sense.
Now, can we please stop the symantics and minimalist/maximalist defining of words and phrases in extreme minutia - they only serve to derail the topic.
They aren't arbitrary terms, and I'm not using minimalist or maximalist definitions. I'm using the plain old definitions; using the terms as the were intended in an environment where they are distorted and then being told I'm wrong. The only reason the terms aren't applied to specks of dust is that no one bothers to try and calculate the energy you need to escape the orbit of a speck of dust.

In the context of the book, the term has little to no actual meaning. People were getting hung up on where the gravity well began, so I pointed out that it doesn't have a beginning. It's therefore impossible to arrive at a conclusion through that line of reasoning, so I wanted to point that out. I'm not trying to derail the thread. I'm trying to avoid a bottomless pit of meaningless argument over a flawed premise.

Are you trying to posit the idea that there is a way to draw an accurate conclusion from erroneous premises, or that a gravity well does have a limit? If not, then just stop arguing, because we agree. If so, make your case.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is clear you are just being argumentative - with that I will simply say whatever, and be done with it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from personal experience that it takes two to argue. I also know that if you are going to get into it with Fallon, you need to be prepared to go the distance. Wink

The conversation may have gotten off topic, but the point remains that when a ship is trying to get far enough outside of a gravity well to safely jump, it is not a question of getting outside of the gravity well so much as it is how far up the "slope" of the well a ship must travel before a hyperspace jump can be done safely.

I did some research regarding the WEG-generated safe distances. The 50 unit safe-jump number was from the 2E books, while 2R&E changes the benchmark to a more neutral 5 minutes. Speaking for myself, I prefer the 50 unit rule, as it better reflects the ability of faster craft to reach safe jump distance more quickly (An A-Wing travelling All-Out can cover as much as 48 units per round, while a stock YT-1300 at All-Out can only cover 16). However, I do think the 50 unit value is a little low; I'm just not sure exactly how high it should go.

Another gripe with the 50 unit benchmark is that, IMO, it should be more of a sliding scale than a simple binary choice. AFAIAC, it should be something more along the lines of the difficulty of the hyperspace jump increasing the closer the jump is attempted to the planet. I'm thinking something like this:

-Ships must travel a minimum of 60 (or whatever number you feel is appropriate) units away from a planet to make a hyperspace jump without interference from the planet's gravity well. The minimum safe distance varies depending on the type of planet (various factors determining gravity well).
-Ships may attempt to make jumps closer to a planet, but for every unit of distance below the minimum safe distance, there is an equal increase in the jump's difficulty (Example: if the minimum safe distance is 60 units, and a ship attempts a hyperspace jump at 40 units, the difficulty for that jump increases by 20 points).
-Rather than saying that a ship jumping into hyperspace too close to a planet automatically creates a catastrophic event on said planet, have the catastrophic event be the result of a wild-dice failure or something, so that it gives the PCs some room to maneuver ("You could try to jump to hyperspace from low orbit, but it's insanely risky), and also addresses the backstory conflict.

I played around with something similar a while back where I wrote up rules for a Starship Troopers / Star Wars crossover. The concept I wrote up was for an Imperial Skytrooper unit that used a Strike-Class Cruiser as a delivery vessel. The cruiser in question was modified with an advanced CGT array and nav computer, allowing it to drop out of hyperspace much closer to a planet than usual, delivering its troops by orbital drop pods before the planet's defenses could be brought to bear.

KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Redacted and rephrased*
Abetter aspect of common sense failing that I referred to, and did not mean as an insult o anyone in particular, but a general digression of the conversation is in regards to trying to be overly technical in the extreme with the application of terms and disection of language when discussing a system that, by it's very nature, is intentionally vague. I already pointed this out. To go even further and take the tchnical minutia to it's extremes to "win" such an argument is poor common sense and in poor tatse. However, it also has to do with how, in numerous posts now, I said my problems with the Hyperspace Satelite were my opinions and resulted from contradictions I see in that idea and how Hyperspace travel is presented in the Star Wars RPG (at least the edition I played the longest). I have referenced some of the material on Hyperspace in the rulebook that supports these contradictions - I see no one providing counter evidence that the whole 50 units is not completely arbitrary and provided simply to have a number handy (and was my whole problem with the measurement) - so I see having proven my stance in regards to my view on that as well. The information on desolate worlds I will need to find, and have already conceeded I may be mis-remembering (though I am certain it was Star Wars - but as is often the problem, I have read and watched so much Sci-Fi in my life). It was never an issue of "going the Distance" or trying to start an argument - it was about having things taken completely out of context and then argued.

Sadly, I feel I may have to admit that a significant portion of my Views regarding the effects of Planetary and Stellar Gravity Wells (and let's be reasonable I do mean things of sufficient size and mass as to be a hinderance) may have come from Star Wars Novelezations, Technical Journals, Magazine Articles, and especially the Timothy Zahn Dark Force saga. While some of this was considered official to a degree it is all technicly Expanded Universe, and I can not cite specific sources for any given item (especially in reference to material from the old Starlog magazines, as I no longer even have those). All editions of the Rulebooks are vague, even those with some number or fact only plugged in arbitrary values (I think I can say we see a concensus on this?) just to have a go too rule.

However, maybe you are right. After all, even the writup on the Interdictor's is rather vague, and since I did use them as a reference point I may have to accept defeat. No real specifics are provided on the quantity, or gravemetric shearing strentgh of the gravity fields used by the Interdictor's to block hyperspace escape. In fact, all that is said is that they sit outside of the direct combat zone and "blanket the battlezone with gravity fields" to inhibit vessels escaping by jumping to hyperspace. It could very well be that this blanket constitutes billions of gravity wells with the average gravity field stregth of naval lint - and perhaps thast is all that is nescessary to block hyperspace use (perhaps hyperspace technology is truly fragile after all). Since the rules are unclear, this may very well be the case, and if so I accept defeat.

I will apologize for being overly curt inmy last post - I am in a great deal of pain right now, and the medications are not helping it. While not an excuse, I hope my fellow members of the board will at least see to understand.

In the interest of getting back to constructive discussion, I wanted to touch on:
crmcneill wrote:
I Another gripe with the 50 unit benchmark is that, IMO, it should be more of a sliding scale than a simple binary choice. AFAIAC, it should be something more along the lines of the difficulty of the hyperspace jump increasing the closer the jump is attempted to the planet. I'm thinking something like this:

-Ships must travel a minimum of 60 (or whatever number you feel is appropriate) units away from a planet to make a hyperspace jump without interference from the planet's gravity well. The minimum safe distance varies depending on the type of planet (various factors determining gravity well).
-Ships may attempt to make jumps closer to a planet, but for every unit of distance below the minimum safe distance, there is an equal increase in the jump's difficulty (Example: if the minimum safe distance is 60 units, and a ship attempts a hyperspace jump at 40 units, the difficulty for that jump increases by 20 points).
-Rather than saying that a ship jumping into hyperspace too close to a planet automatically creates a catastrophic event on said planet, have the catastrophic event be the result of a wild-dice failure or something, so that it gives the PCs some room to maneuver ("You could try to jump to hyperspace from low orbit, but it's insanely risky), and also addresses the backstory conflict.

The idea of a staged system, and increasing difficulties, not just for Hyperspace jumps, but even for near atmospheric combat and manuevering is a great path. I think, perhaps, the reason it has not been done is getting a good, working set of rules that are not too vague, and yet not rules heavy, might be inoccously more difficult than it seems. If Star Wars had some better defined mechanics regarding planets and gravities in the first place (something like a scale chart for cellestial bodies - I'll have to play with this too) it could be readily adapted to such: let's say an Earth Type, 1G world represents 0 on this scale and for the sake of existing material has a Gravity well that extends 50 units...but still I'd like more details on what exact distance a unit represents - we can work from there increasing or decreasing the difficulty and distance needed for jumps to be effective maybe? I would stick to the unwritten rules convention of Exponential Die Coding (that is, every 1D increase in Scale Die is double a planet size and mass for example), and here we are really worried about gravitational field strength and mass and not just the planets size (though knowing the distance of a Unit would be handy as obviously some distances might end up "inside" a planet otherwise when you consider the scales involved). The other thing that needs to be considered is the limtiations of a cellestial bodies gravity well, as they do not extend indefinately.
I think I would like to play around with this concept and incorporate it into the D6 Infinite Galaxies work I had been working on at one point (which was lots of new material on planets, atmospheres, gravity and it's effects, pressure, tech levels...basicly everything needed to create a galaxy of adventure from scratch).

Last edited by KageRyu on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, regarding the topic I dont wont be using any 'hyperspeed satellites' for GPS. I assume that gps satellites are cheap as dirt in the SWU (Given the low cost of flying across the galaxy). Sure you might shoot them down if your laying siege to a planet, but perhaps it will be more expensive to hunt them down than to get them into position. Perhaps the GPS system is present in all satellites orbiting the planet (if its cheap enough). Any way in my mind GPS should be an easy thing to replace and rather tiresome to shoot down.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, don't go off on me. You're the one tripping out on gravity wells because you don't like how they are applied in the SWU. Well, if you have a better idea, here is the time and place. Don't just tell me an idea doesn't work; throw out some options. Discussing gravity wells and their effects on hyperspace travel is on topic because a key portion of my original post was about the feasibility of putting an object into hyperspace in orbit around a planet. This is a concept which already has official status, per the Hyperspace Orbital Scanner, which I have referenced previously. You obviously have some knowledge on the subject, and I would appreciate if you would apply that knowledge to the optional rule concept I just posted, as opposed to getting defensive over minutiae and semantics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: