The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Fan Sourcebook project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Star Wars Fan Sourcebook project Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we have plenty of interest in contriibuting to these kinds of projects. The next question is: is anyone interested in organizing one of these projects for the group to work on?

For what its worth, I think the ideas that apeal to me most are:
-Galaxy Guide ??: The Living Force (Covering fringe Jedi & non-affiliated force users. Training of force users, force artifacts, etc.)
-Imperial Sourcebook II (Most if not all of the generic Imperial NPC stats can be pulled from my NPC collections)
-Planets Collection (15-30 planets, +5 page entries for each)
-The Kuat Drive Yards (Covering the Kuat system, the Shipyards, ship construction, and many of the ships built there.)

At the moment, I'm gearing up to finish the NPC collections, but once those have been completed, I'd like to start investing my energy into another project. If a group project has been started, I'd make a point of investing my time into that.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a couple of fan books that I'm working on. They might be as popular as the ones you mentioned but I'm pretty much complete on them. It might be worthwhile to finish up a sourcebook as the first project instead of starting from scratch. I have a medical, slang and drink sourcebooks. Just a thought
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true about finishing one project before starting another (Thus why I plan to finish the NPC collections before moving on to something else.)

I'd be interested in seeing your Medical sourcebook. What all are you covering in your sourcebook? Medical personelle? Equipment? Medications? Cybernetics? Facilities? I'm still working on a Civilians NPC collection, but once that is complete, you are welcome to make use of the medical related (or any other) stat blocks that might prove useful to your project.

A "Drink" sourcebook? Is your book going to focus on drinks? Or is it going to be a Cantina sourcebook? I REALLY like the idea of a Cantina sourcebook.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the pieces I'm working on right now involves salvager free traders in the galaxy. If I had more time and resources it could easily be turned into a full 96 page galaxy guide, but I don't think it will ever get that far. Right now it's sitting somewhere around a 23 page article, though I don't know what's going to happen to that page number in subsequent drafts.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medical sourcebook
medical facilities- skill of personnel, size, specializations
medications- side effects, addiction factors, cost
diseases- symptoms, treatment, how contagious, length of incubation period, how lethal, skill needed to treat
equipment
I haven't started cybernetics yet.
thanks for using your once!

for my drink book. It suppose to be an in universe guide for spacers looking for something to drink and eat in a cantina. I statted out all the drinks and effects they have. Plus snarky comments by the author of the guide. I think having cantinas and bars like in wretched hives would be cool.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you got good 'ol Anglebay in there... Wink

Hard core OT, all the way!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaloth Varsk wrote:
That's actually a good point that I will try to reflect. Perhaps "shared power" in the force powers section would be appropriate as well.

The other major force component was seeing how involved Obiwan actaully was with Luke. Luke was pretty worthless coming up with things on his own, but his constant guidance from Obiwan worked like having senses beyond his own. Obiwan told him about ambushes, who to trust, etc. Basically, Obiwan had access to all his sensing powers from life, and communicated what he sensed to Luke. That's pretty major, and could make for some intersting character concepts where a force user themselves weren't very powerful, but a "force spirit" guiding them lets them do things they otherwise couldn't. It's something I wanted to explore more, and I wasn't sure if there were previous rules written for this. (I didn't find any in my search.)

To my knowledge there are no stats for either of these issues as yet (shared Power or Force Spirit Guidance). I had toyed with the idea of doing a writeup for Shared Force Power once, but then had my RPG group at the time pitch a fit over a sith artifact that boosted force skill (something there were official rules on) and figured it would just lead to infighting in the group. Sounds like a worthy project, and lots of useful information.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire, Luwingo_Spince, Kaloth Varsk - you are more than welcome to join the collective effort I started the book group for. My thoughts were we all pool efforts and resources, and see books to completion faster. Still in the early orginazational phases, but it will be picking up very soon. I can add the books you wish to the Database with the estimated completion, and we can call for the sections needed, etc... Just wanted to let you know the offer's there.

Gaurdian_A - I'm willing to take a crack at organizing a project, and I see three that are somewhat connected, where work toward one will aide the others. I have not organized a fan book project directly, so I do not know how good I'll be, but I say we try these three as a Trial run. More Detail in the Books Group.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
It looks like we have plenty of interest in contriibuting to these kinds of projects. The next question is: is anyone interested in organizing one of these projects for the group to work on?

For what its worth, I think the ideas that apeal to me most are:
-Galaxy Guide ??: The Living Force (Covering fringe Jedi & non-affiliated force users. Training of force users, force artifacts, etc.)
-Imperial Sourcebook II (Most if not all of the generic Imperial NPC stats can be pulled from my NPC collections)
-Planets Collection (15-30 planets, +5 page entries for each)
-The Kuat Drive Yards (Covering the Kuat system, the Shipyards, ship construction, and many of the ships built there.)

At the moment, I'm gearing up to finish the NPC collections, but once those have been completed, I'd like to start investing my energy into another project. If a group project has been started, I'd make a point of investing my time into that.

I've actually been working on something akin to The Living Force sourcebook you mentioned. It's aimed more at the Force powers exhibited by other Force traditions. It's about 80-90% complete. I incorporated powers mentioned in previous works and SWRPGNetwork, acknowledging the original authors so as to observe copyrights. I've stopped it for the past month or so, but I'll be getting back to it soon.

Kaloth Varsk, if you need my assistance for anything, let me know, and I'll do what I can.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Gaurdian_A - I'm willing to take a crack at organizing a project, and I see three that are somewhat connected, where work toward one will aide the others. I have not organized a fan book project directly, so I do not know how good I'll be, but I say we try these three as a Trial run. More Detail in the Books Group.

I think the best advice I can give is this:
Different things work for different people. Figure out what works for you, and dont be scared to ask for help/advice from the people you are working with.

For me, I'm a list person. I'll start by making a list of all the "Chapters" I want in the project. Then I look at those chapters and breat those up into all the sections I want to represent. Then I will take those sections and start working on a to-do list for that section.

For example: The GG we have been talking about; Galaxy Guide ?? Balmorra, Kuat, Kashyyk would first be broken into three parts: Balmorra, Kuat & Kashyyk. Then we would make a list of each section we wanted to represent for each of those systems. Kashyyyk would have a section about the planet, the wildlife, the plant life, wookiees/culture & society, etc. Each of those sections woud be further itemized; the wildlife section would include a list of creatures we wanted to represent, the plants would have a list of plant life we wanted to represent, etc.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collaboration on my current projects is certainly something that I'm open to. So long as there is an understanding that it would have to comply to Open D6 guidelines, since it is intended to be published in an Open D6 publication. I can't have anything specifically Star Wars, but it is certainly designed to fit easily within the setting.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

already a member, I'll upload what I have done so you can see where I am
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Kaloth Varsk wrote:
That's actually a good point that I will try to reflect. Perhaps "shared power" in the force powers section would be appropriate as well.

The other major force component was seeing how involved Obiwan actaully was with Luke. Luke was pretty worthless coming up with things on his own, but his constant guidance from Obiwan worked like having senses beyond his own. Obiwan told him about ambushes, who to trust, etc. Basically, Obiwan had access to all his sensing powers from life, and communicated what he sensed to Luke. That's pretty major, and could make for some intersting character concepts where a force user themselves weren't very powerful, but a "force spirit" guiding them lets them do things they otherwise couldn't. It's something I wanted to explore more, and I wasn't sure if there were previous rules written for this. (I didn't find any in my search.)

To my knowledge there are no stats for either of these issues as yet (shared Power or Force Spirit Guidance). I had toyed with the idea of doing a writeup for Shared Force Power once, but then had my RPG group at the time pitch a fit over a sith artifact that boosted force skill (something there were official rules on) and figured it would just lead to infighting in the group. Sounds like a worthy project, and lots of useful information.

I'd say the force issues would be the number one place I'd look for input on, as there is probably far more expertise on approaching it on these forums than what I personally have. Those are definately some aspects of the force worth expanding on though.
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Cheshire, Luwingo_Spince, Kaloth Varsk - you are more than welcome to join the collective effort I started the book group for. My thoughts were we all pool efforts and resources, and see books to completion faster. Still in the early orginazational phases, but it will be picking up very soon. I can add the books you wish to the Database with the estimated completion, and we can call for the sections needed, etc... Just wanted to let you know the offer's there.

I actually signed up the other day. I'll have to check to see if it was approved.
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Guardian_A"
For me, I'm a list person. I'll start by making a list of all the "Chapters" I want in the project. Then I look at those chapters and breat those up into all the sections I want to represent. Then I will take those sections and start working on a to-do list for that section.
[/quote]

That's my approach to sourcebook writing as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: