The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Fan Sourcebook project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Star Wars Fan Sourcebook project Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Star Wars Fan Sourcebook project Reply with quote

Is anyone interested in fan made sourcebooks for Star Wars d6? More importantly, is anyone interested in contributing?

If anyone is interested in helping out, let us know! Also, let us know in what way(s) you would be able to help out. We would need people to help with almost everything. Writers, stat builders, artists, and someone to put everything together in a way that it all makes sense.

What kind of projects would everyone like to see? New sourcebooks? Campaign settings? Something else?

As for myself, I'll be more than happy to help with the writing and help with the stats for characters/ships/vehicles/gear/etc. But my artistic talent somewhere between terrible and just plain bad.

As with everything that I have worked on in the past, all thoughts, comments, and constructive criticism is welcome!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My visual art skills hover around barely passable, for the most part, but I'm okay at technical drawing and 3D mechanical modeling. I can also write fairly well, but I have no way to gauge my upcoming time commitments.

Complete Starship Construction System
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
but I have no way to gauge my upcoming time commitments.

Any ammount of help would be welcome!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm happy to help out however I can.

Complete Starship Construction System
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good at stat building, ideas, concepts, I can write but woul dneed someone to proofread as my spelling is horrible. I have doen layout and general assembly type editing to get flow and context of things.

I suppose my artwork is ok. I dabble a little in 3D and CGI, and have been known to doodle with pencil, pen, and colored pencil before I had trouble with arthritis. Not sure if it's book worthy though. Time allowing I might be able to contribute some artwork, if you guys think it's good.*

Some of my digital art:
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/We-Precious-Few-247934087
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Cry-Havoc-254351253
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/The-Mountain-Lords-258991253
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Zombie-Madness-257044762
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/From-the-Pit-268046019
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Strange-Aeons-305109211

Some of my traditional art:
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Last-Stand-18884172
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Nekosami-s-Midnight-Frolic-21959549
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Yankee-Doodle-Fleet-299845817
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Arachid-Cannon-on-High-4978029
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Glough-Scorpian-Mecha-73385463
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Wings-of-Glass-Art-Poster-73643870
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Corvexes-MK-XIII-Prototype-95104595
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Chaos-Eye-4786537
http://kageryu.deviantart.com/art/Dead-Heart-5841256

There's a lot more in my gallery at Deviant Art overall, feel free to look throught to see what styles and media I use.

*Edit = yes, I am being snarky and humble. One of these digital images Games Workshop already tried to claim as theirs without paying me a penny for. Nice of them really.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, the response seems underwhelming...

Be you D6ers?!
20 years from now at Gen Con, or RPGA, how many of you would trade every day between now and then, sitting at those tables flipping magic cards and rolling D20s to come back to these fields, and proclaim in one voice... "You may take our Licensed Books, but you will never take... OUR SIX-SIDERS!"

I am going to be bold here, I have much material for D6, both Star Wars Specific and otherwise. Much of it is fragmentary - but covers such a wide range of projects and ideas (I also have tons of material that is for other gaming properties than D6, much of which I wanted to convert to a D6 format at one time). I would like to share some of it (heck, would have loved to get it printed and maybe paid some bills - but alas, not in the cards). Even much of the non-Star Wars specific stuff I had written up in a format that was easily adapted to the D6 Star Wars lines ( a format I referred to internal Development as D6 Standard Writeup or D6SW for short). I could use help pulling some of this into final form - so although they may be fan made netbooks, they will look more official and proffessional. I realize among my shortcomings is spelling and gramar, but I have no shortage for ideas.
I could use some help with:
•Editing
•Research (mostly non-D6 fluff and background)
•Some Statting
•Some Writing, mostly clean up or filling in missing sections
•Additional Artwork
•Additional Formatting (I do have the D6 official style guides and template books that were part of my liscensing developper package - and later released free to the web, but do not have the specifics for the format of Galaxy Guides for example, and any help emulating that layout would be welcome).

I mostly work in Microsoft Word, with several methods of exporting to PDF once finished. I have a massive collection of Graphics tools and software, and a strong background in Graphic Arts, Commercial Arts, Illustration, and 3D Animation - so there is a lot of things I can do with Artwork (I have a very extensive library of liscensed 3D content for animation and VFX). In respect to these books I would be the project leader, but I greatly value input and ideas from those I work with or who support and aide in the creation of the books. I also have Role Played for a very long time (since the 80's) and been exposed to a large variety of formats, game systems, styles, and concepts that are very useful when working rules and making adjustments. In the past (a very long time ago) I had reffereed local gaming events in Massachusetts for several games systems at conventions, including AD&D 2nd Edition, Robotech, Rifts, Mechwarrior, Battletech, Mekton II, and Star Wars 1st Edition. I feel I have a lot to bring to the table and to offer.

So, who wants to come with me and take D6 fan made books to the Next Level?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I'm mentioned, I'd certainly help out, KageRyu.
I do editing, research, stats, writing, and layout. Some of them are more limited than others, but I can do them all.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings...

I have not been around as much as I would have liked, Real Life has taken me away from RPing a lot lately, but though I have not participated in the forum as much I have been logging on regularly to see what's been going on.

I for one would like to see more material come to light, and would offer what assistance I could whether it be simply proof reading or editing, or more active participation. I cannot promise time, however, but I can promise to try.

Skills might include writing and some stating, a reasonable attention to detail for layout and such, but please don't expect much in the way of artistic talent...

Personally, the D20 system has never sat right with me and though I'm thankful to it for keeping RP alive in general, I shall always be a D6er.

T.C.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the projects that contain more original, and not so Universe Specific content that I hope to see to completion in the very near future are:
D6 Skill Options Guide - an early revision is linked to in the books thread, but there is so much more. Really a set of optional rules, guidelines and enhanced options for different applications and issue involving skills in D6 (originally conceived and being written as the primary chapter on Skills and Game Mechanics for theFractured Realities line of D6 games I was working on ).
It needs-
•Finish transcription of existing source rules materials into Digital Format.
•Clean up, spell check, some reorganization, maybe reformatting to a degree.
•Artwork, Spot Illustrations, and layout.
•Cover Art (?)
I feel it is very close, though more contributions for skills and ideas pertaining to skills would be welcome (though I need to get a more recent revision available to provide context for what's already covered).

D6 SW: Swarms & Packs
A mini-sourcebook for D6 with thoughts, ideas, and rules suggestions to handle Swarms, Packs, Mobs, interscale mass combat, as well as adapting them for use in a mass-combat setting to run squad and platoon battles. Has some expanded and refined notations on scaling to make it more useable on a better scale. Currently transcribing the rules and tables into digital format. I would like it to include some Stats, background, and fluff for various packs of swarms and creatures, and artwork.
It could use:
• Creature Bios, Descriptions, and Stats (rat packs, insect swarms, mob of angry vilagers, etc...)
• Additional background and fluff (particularly would love some sort of editorial style notes on packs and swarms uses in adventures and for main adversaries and such).
• Artwork (especially creature illustrations)
• Cover Art
• Clean up, spelling, and grammar.
• Layout and Formatting
• Designed for maximum compatibility with most D6 games and products.

I also have some weapon and equipment guides very nearly ready, that just need cleanup and minor reformatting.

Obviously, transcribing from my notebooks to digital source I need to do, but if anyone would like to tackle anything for either of those, let me know and we can set it up.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now you have my attention.

Pardon my saying so, but when there's a general call for people getting on board for a sourcebook, I get a little skeptical. I've been on board a few projects where the lead just bailed. No word, no "we're going on a hiatus," no nothing. Other times half the "staff" bails before the project gets three quarters done. I think we've got a book that Forceally was putting together that's got all the stats, but he lost his contributors and now we've got nothing.

I've helped Gry on the whole conversion book project (which took the two of us and a few other contributors the better part of three years to complete), not to mention another collaboration I've done with Gry. I've done writing for the D6 Magazine, provided input on other Open D6 projects, and have some projects on the side. So, I can contribute.

I didn't want to say anything when the potential proejct was nebulous, with there being potentials of "the D6 Vong Sourcebook," something I wouldn't have had an interest in being on. But these two projects you mention seem like something that have potential either as fan book releases, or even seem like they would be eligible for release under the OpenD6 OGL.

My time is short right now. I'm working on chiseling away at an aventure I'm writing for D6 Mazaine #5, as well as a rather lengthy article on salvaging in space lanes. So, depending on what sort of deadlines you wanted for the writing, it can be done... it's just a matter of when you want it done.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Hmmm, the response seems underwhelming...

Sorry about that, I had thought I'd replied. I particularly liked the B&W artowrk.

I think the Swarms & Packs idea is a neat one, but what could we contribute that isnt already in the "Creatures Stats" pdf?

Some of the ideas I've had:
-A guide for Jedi (Including information about the Jedi Order, including training and some of the better known branches of the order.)
-Imperial Sourcebook 2 (Expanding on the original Imperial Sourcebook the same way that the Player's Guide 2 expands the first one in D&D)
-Galactic Republic Sourcebook
-Sepratist Sourcebook

What other ideas do we have to work with?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On deadlines right now I'm kind of nebulous myself - in part as time is scarce for me too. I would like to get one of these, if not both, to a somewhat semi-pro looking, near finished project hopefully by month's end, or next month...as i do have a lot more waiting in the wings. I'll have a much better idea when I know what contributors are on board and in what areas.

I think you hit the nail on the head with setting up a project though - it's hard as everyone wants to stay nebulous on commitment and deadlines until they are sure it's going to get done, because too often people bail. It's a catch 22 (or is it a catch 66)?

Yes, some of these were initially planned as actual book releases using D6 (full, printed, commercial books, and I have so much material, just none finished because when all was said and done I was the sole writer, GM of the playtesting group, artist, layout, plus all my regular life activities to pay bills). While I would still love to see them printed and sold, I have to be realistic, and I can't do it all myself, and would still love to get some of the material out there for the D6 system that I love so much. For the moment I am picking those that I feel are 1) Closest to being presentable in a near-complete or acceptably completed form, and 2) useful to the grander D6 Universe/System as a whole and not just one property in it. Much of this type material addresses areas in the rules that I felt were neglected, needed further revision, or could be expanded with optional rules that a GM could take or leave.

The Swarms and Packs book could even have a Rancor Pit Special Edition with exclusive material from the Star Wars universe (hordes of mynocks for example).

I'm willing to try to make this happen - just a question of how long it will take. As I think I mentioned, I even found a few of the notes I had for that Imperial Specforce book I proposed way back - had thought them all lost in a HD crash - not nearly enough to get to print anytime soon, or even fill it out but enough to say I might revisit it once some of these others are squared away.

I can most likely have a workable version of the Skills Option book (without art and only rudimentary layout) byt the end of the week, early next week - I say we tackle that one since there is a lot with skills it addresses ideas and possible solutions for. Even as it is, with the bulk of the righting done, some tie-in fluff, background, and editorial type notes could really make it shine.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:

Sorry about that, I had thought I'd replied. I particularly liked the B&W artowrk.

I think the Swarms & Packs idea is a neat one, but what could we contribute that isnt already in the "Creatures Stats" pdf?

Thank you.
As to stats, there are, I feel, many creatures in the Star Wars universe, official and Expanded, that were not addressed in the Creature Stats books (Balmorran Metal Mites, some of the more interesting creatures described existing inthe Kashyyk Jungles, etc...). More importantly, the main focus of that books is expanded concepts on rules to make handling Swarms and Packs easier that using existing Combined Actions methods, and to provide a better method of adressing stats for the very Small by improving on the Scale System (mostly clarification and changes in wording/semantics to make it easier to apply and more usable). So, for some of the creatures, it would be an interesting opportunity to revisit the stats while considering the differences between behavior and stats as a single creature and as a swarm.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swarm of Mynocks... I had a mental picture of them swarming and sapping the power from a freighter mid flight.

I would love to see new material coming through the pit, and could help throw some ideas about when I have time. However, I have finals, a move, a wedding, a honeymoon, and then school starting again. I'm extremely hesitant to commit to something that I'm not sure I'd even be helpful on if I had the time to help.

But, I think a new source book coming out of the forums would be a fantastic idea!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to say, I like the sound of some of these as well, and would happily contribute material where I could:
Guardian_A wrote:

-A guide for Jedi (Including information about the Jedi Order, including training and some of the better known branches of the order.)

I really enjoying doing things with Jedi and the force, and use the concept of Secret Orders, Lost Lore, and such quite a bit in my Star Wars campaigns. A lot of it is non-official, home grown or inspired by other sources, but would be willing to contribute some of it to a Jedi sourcebook. Would love to work with others to put together the background story on the origin and creation of the Jedi Knights order (especially since official sources indicate it predates the republic). Though, my views on Jedi are not inline with what was done to change their portrayal in the new trilogy - however, if we work around that it's all good.
Quote:
-Imperial Sourcebook 2 (Expanding on the original Imperial Sourcebook the same way that the Player's Guide 2 expands the first one in D&D)

Not real familiar with the newer incarnations of D&D - but there has been a lot of new material for the empire since the first sourcebook. If we draw from EU sources, there are lots of new fighter designs presented in the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games, as well as the Novels, there's the Dark Troopers, new information on the order of the Imperial Gaurd from the comics, etc... making a collected archive could be very useful.

Quote:
-Galactic Republic Sourcebook
-Sepratist Sourcebook

yes, both of these definately have merit for those who follow the movie timelines from the new trilogy. I rember dropping out of scene right when the Episode III sourcebook was in early proosal stages, and am sad to see it was never completed (still willing to help where possible on it). Though with the seperatists, there are a few really strong factions that could themselves each have a mini-sourcebook. Also, more detailed writups of some of the worlds from the Republic and Seperatists, especially the Clone Wars timeline, would be spectacular (even some more source material for Worlds from the existing material that were neglected, such as Coruscant, Kuat, Balmorra, the Corelian Cluster, Kashyyk, etc...) would be invaluable with the right amount of material, imagery, and formatting.

Quote:
What other ideas do we have to work with?

It depends on how much official material and how much speculation we allow per book. I feel a lot can be done with the backstorry of Emperor Palpatines Purge of the Jedi (for example, it is a long standing concept in Star Wars to say they weren't all killed and some were, in fact, captured at great expense to try to turn, or for the emperor to use in his grand experimentss with the force - would love to explore that). Lots of official worlds that make appearances in Star Wars materials with almost no usable RPG stats or information, and if three or four worlds were done per Galaxy Guide (a-la Bespin & Yavin) there is a lot of material to explore and create right there.
In existing, official RPG material from WEG there are some great aliens species that mention great story ideas, adventure hooks, and concepts "in passing" that would be wonderful with more detail to use in an adventure setting (for example, I am currently compiling information on Ithorians as they fihure heavily in the adventure set my players are currently on - and I will need to come up with working maps and stats for Ithorian Herd-Cities and Ships, as well as some detail on their religious order of "Mother Jungle" which I will have to speculate on as it is all mentioned in passing). Even staying strict to Star Wars themed fan projects, I don't think we have any shortage of material to draw upon and create for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: