The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scatter Rifle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Scatter Rifle Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse rifle sounds like a shotgun to me, but I could see how you could interpret it as an explosion-type weapon.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google search Nock volley gun.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's about the idea, save that it's a breech-loader, and I've resisted the urge to make it a .50, barely... Laughing

With the accuracy of modern rifles and the narrow spread of my gun, I doubt it would be effective against multiple targets, but I suppose I should do the math on that at some point...

Complete Starship Construction System
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now im curious as to what kind of damage you guys would think this "scatter gun" would do.

basically what kind of damage would 6x .223 remington rounds fire linked together do?

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking a little more than the standard fire-linking bonus, seeing as shot placement is so crucial to damage done in real life, and this gun has a large pattern. Also because at shorter ranges the terminal ballistic patterns would overlap to create a large cylinder of destroyed tissue which would cause massive internal bleeding. Not so good against armor, though.

thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the .223 rem/5.56x45mm nato round always sucked against armor and it was never that great against the fleshy bits. however, it is great against small game animals. but since we are talking about a sci fi rifle that will shoot 6 at once, it might be more damaging...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the historical origins of what you propose, look here.

Of course, if you want to get really nasty, you could have all of the fired projectiles be guided or homing in some fashion, so that, rather than simply shooting off on a ballistic course, they all home in on a designated target (the same target or multiples).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
the .223 rem/5.56x45mm nato round always sucked against armor and it was never that great against the fleshy bits. however, it is great against small game animals. but since we are talking about a sci fi rifle that will shoot 6 at once, it might be more damaging...
Yeah, at longer ranges, when it doesn't have the impact energy to fragment a bullet, it doesn't do all that much unless you hit a vital organ. If you do hit a vital organ, though, it tends to work pretty well. With this gun you have 6 or 7 chances to hit something important, so I could see it potentially doing one extra D over and above the fire-linked damage rating of so many rounds.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
thedemonapostle wrote:
Yeah, at longer ranges, when it doesn't have the impact energy to fragment a bullet, it doesn't do all that much unless you hit a vital organ. If you do hit a vital organ, though, it tends to work pretty well. With this gun you have 6 or 7 chances to hit something important, so I could see it potentially doing one extra D over and above the fire-linked damage rating of so many rounds.

And this is Star Wars, after all, so why does the bullet have to be limited to a simple metal slug. Give it an explosive tip or something exotic that does major damage.

thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a completely sci fi/fantasy setting what kind of ammo would be available?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WH40K is a good place to start, especially the Dark Heresy books, as they cover a lot of different specialized ammunitions, with incendiary rounds, homing rounds, bolts (mass-reactive explosive tips that detonate inside the target), psi-rounds (when embedded in a psychically gifted target, they disrupt the target's ability to use psychic powers), chem-delivery darts, homing device tags, etc.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been partial to concussion mini-missiles, available at great expense. If that doesn't float your boat, there is potential for nerve agents, tiny tazers, radioactive rounds, angry little robots, and of course bio weapons.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really dont understand is why anyone would want such a thing..

Wouldnt it be better with a fast automatic weapon? I feels like you have to lug around with a clunky weapon to use in very narrowly defined situations.. Also, given the fact that you dont have control over where the bullets hit in a spray pattern, no one might get hit even if you aim dead on at some range.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was the case, then Shotguns would have gone out of style a long time ago. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the coolness factor. Star Wars is filled with ideas that are not particularly practical, but they look good while they do whatever they do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: