The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Continuous beam weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Continuous beam weapons Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Continuous beam weapons Reply with quote

Are there rules for Continuous beam weapons or dose anyone have any ideas about how to deal with them mechanically in game?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simulate such weapons by giving them at least 1D in Autofire, depending on how long the weapon can sustain the beam.

Autofire dice were originally proposed by ZzaphodD, I think, to simulate volume of fire. Basically, everytime you shoot, depending on weather you concentrate fire for effect, or spray an area to increase the chance of at least one shot hitting, you get to add the Autofire dice either to damage or the attack roll. Works fairly well, and I think it can be reasonably applied also to continous beams instead of many single blasts.

Maybe also grant the weapon 1D in Fire Control on top of that, to show how easy it is to correct your aiming point when you have a visual cue for the whole path of the shot, like with tracer ammo.
- Tom Lehrer
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:

Maybe also grant the weapon 1D in Fire Control on top of that, to show how easy it is to correct your aiming point when you have a visual cue for the whole path of the shot, like with tracer ammo.
Also to reflect how much faster the bolts continuous beam weapons shoot seem to be.

Although, I'd subtract at least 1D from the initial damage to compensate for the bonuses we've discussed, and because they seem to do a little less damage most of the time.

Complete Starship Construction System
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they're great for digging a farming plot! Or, if you get them big enough, a trench for stationary combat.

Which should not be used against Imperial Forces, as shown in Empire. Razz
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I would listen to anything Ray says about continuous beam weapons. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From most sci fi shows i have seen, OTHER than the continuous beams of the Ori ships in S9 and 10 of star gate, continuous beam shots DO seem to have less individual omphf than comparative single shot/multi shot beams do.

So i can agree to a +1d fire control/to hit bonus, with a -1d damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the heavy continuous beam weaponry from Babylon 5, which could chop a capital ship in half with one sweep.

In addition to using auto-fire rules, I also have a sustained damage rule for things like cutting torches, lightsabers, and other beam weapons. Basically, for every round a beam weapon is used to attack the same target, add +1 to the damage roll.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had continuous beam weapons in a cross over scenario that I ran. IIR there were only two real differences in how I ran them.
  1. Continuous beam weapons did an additional +1D damage per round on target.
  2. Due to the continuity of the attack, a Jedi could parry a single beam weapon (or maybe two) with his lightsaber, but could not parry multiple beam weapons.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a slower ROF for beam weapons? What of the user doing other actions?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Depends on how they are used. If you look at the beam weapons introduced in AOTC, it seems they could either be used against a single point, or in a sweep across several targets. Rules-wise, that sounds more like an Auto-Fire bonus (dice bonus applied to either Damage or Fire Control, chosen by the gunner and declared before the shot).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
No the ROF wasn't slower. With a beam weapon there was just the option of holding the beam on target to do extra damage. Here is what I wrote up for hand weapons.

Quote:
Beam weapon damage (4D) +1D per turn on continuous beam (up to 2xnormal). Max fire rate of 3/turn.

It was for a Star Wars / Star Trek Crossover so the Star Wars characters didn't have beam weapons and the Star Trek characters hadn't been played with the MAPs system of Star Wars so details probably didn't come up as an issue.

You could use something like spending an additional action holding the beam on target could yield extra damage - maybe +1/action or +1D per round total.

I can probably post the conversion info and notes in a separate thread if anyone cares.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I had continuous beam weapons in a cross over scenario that I ran. IIR there were only two real differences in how I ran them.
  1. Continuous beam weapons did an additional +1D damage per round on target.
  2. Due to the continuity of the attack, a Jedi could parry a single beam weapon (or maybe two) with his lightsaber, but could not parry multiple beam weapons.

Given how long a round is I wouldnt base the damage bonus on number of rounds on target.

Id give the weapon a +1D to hit and -1D in damage but with a steeper damage bonus when rolling over the required target number to hit. Normally I increase the damage by +1 for each 5 over the target number. Perhaps +1 in damage for each +3 over the target number. This reflect that the gunner is able to keep the continous beam on target for a longer time..
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of ideas. First off pulsed weapons tend to be more powerful than continuous beams. The main reason for pulsed weaponry is that many electronic components can take a higher charge for short periods of time. So I7d probably start with a lower damage for a continuous beam.

EABA, which has game mechanics similar to D6, has a rule for continuous beam weapons. Essentially you hit the target one time per point you exceed the difficulty by, up to a cap of something like 10 hits per second (EABA uses 1 second turns). So you might want to co opt the combined fire rules here. Take a couple of dice off the damage, but add +1 damage per point over the difficulty-up to a cap. You might want to add the extra pops after seeing if the shot gets pasts shields.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like that.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas thanks guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: