The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do YOU see as the diff between
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> What do YOU see as the diff between Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every great idea I have always gets stolen by someone with the unfair advantage of being born first.... Evil or Very Mad

Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, heh, heh...you young whipper snappers, always complaining.

And stay off my grass! Laughing
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flying R2 unit with jets? I had that in my RPG years before AOTC...
Clearly, Star Wars authors are telepathic thieves.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an R2 with a repulsor drive and a vocabulator. He was really stuck up and insuferable, ahh good times.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought of a proton torpedo as a torpedo. Travels slowly in a straight line, minimal guidance, and scatters protons - meaning it has a nuclear component. I envision torpedoes being used against stationary (space station) or slow moving (capital ship) targets. Torpedoes, being capital scale weapons, suffer a serious modifier to hit anything less than capital scale.

I've always thought of concusion missiles as...well...missiles. Fast, highly sophisticated guidance, and a high explosive warhead. I envision missiles being used against fighter craft. Missiles will not do a lot of damage against capital scale vessels because of the scale reduction, but should have no problem hitting such a target.

Thats what I think, anyway...
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 113 of the Trilogy Sourcebook (ships systems) says:
Quote:
...these weapons are effective against ray and energy shielded targets. Complete particle shielding will deflect proton torpedos however.
Proton Torpedos carry a proton scattering energy warhead and concussion weapons (both missiles and bombs) carry an armor piercing warhead containing a compact energy pack.

imho this is trying to reconcile a disparity between movie canon and technical suspension of disbelief in an rpg.

the problematic movie quote is "the target is ray shielded so you'll have to use proton torpedos"
one is forced to keep in mind star wars tech in the movies is invented as needed with little or no technical thought, terminology is pretty much catered on the spot
whereas in rpg where arguments over technical detail is part of the culture some concept for how things work as machines is integral

the way I translate that in a GM ruling for our game is simple. On starships, a successful shields attempt on the arc facing the missile deflects a proton torpedo without detonation, but a concussion missile detonates so you roll full die hull/shields against that.

proton torpedos only get through if the shields are taken down or fail on that facing. The benefit of proton torpedos is greater yield, bigger magazines, easier launcher installation.
Concussion missiles are bigger, so the type sized for starfighters, such as used in the Z-95 are downscaled to even less damage and range, the full power concussion missile like in the Millennium Falcon take a bit of space for the launcher and magazine that isn't suited to tiny craft.

It is argumentative, but simple and a nice difference that works for us.

Quote:
Fast, highly sophisticated guidance...

Volar, there is an expanded rule that allows for concussion missiles to guide if the pilot misses the initial shot, with a move of 10 and 4D skill to hit iirc, the rocket fuel is expended after 3rds.

The initial shot, uses the fire control system and pilot gunnery skill for a "firing solution" as it were, and within the scope of our RPG space combat effectively represents missile snapshots taken at close range if being compared to real world jets.

To make them track and pursue the target over successive rounds like a BVR missile the only system I've seen in the supplements is to assign a manoeuvre skill, speed rating and fuel load as mentioned to the missile that is used after the first round, if the pilot misses. Sort of a double jeopardy second round until the fuel runs out at the base ability of the missile to autotrack and catch the target.

I like that for concussion missiles.

I'd just have proton torpedos go ballistic if they miss the initial shot, and you have to buy special homing versions if you want them to track autonomously.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoiding the tech/geek discussion I focus on the difference between missiles and torpedoes.

These rules are a bit dated. I have probably tweaked them but dont have the latest version atm.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2853&highlight=missiles

Quote:

Missiles / Torpedoes
Proton Torpedo
Scale: Starfighter
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 100/300/700
Space: 10/20/40 (all-out)
Endurance: 5 rounds
Attack Skill: 5D
Damage: 8D
(Due to low 'skill' damage was felt to be kept at nearly original level).

Concussion Missile
Space Range: 1/5/12
Atmosphere Range: 100/500/1 Km
Space: 15/30/60 (all-out)
Endurance: 4 rounds
Attack Skill: 6D
Damage: 6D
(Damage lowered because of deadly combination of high 'skill' with the fact that no 'shields' work against missiles/torpedoes.)

Hunter/Killer Missile
This is a faster lighter missile with better maneuverability and targeting abilities.
Space Range: 1/5/12
Atmosphere Range: 100/500/1 Km
Space: 18/36/72 (all-out)
Endurance: 4 rounds
Attack Skill: 7D
Damage: 5D

Launchers

Torpedo Launcher
Space Range 1/3/7
Target Range 5/25/75
Ammo 6
FC 1D

Missile Launcher
Space Range 1/5/10
Target Range 5/25/75
Ammo 5
FC 2D

Target Lock-on:
Aquiring a target lock-on is a normal action that works as firing the weapon with the following modifications. Use the 'targeting range' instead of 'space range'. Add a +5 modifier to the gunners 'to hit' roll when aquiring a lock on. After aquiring a target lock-on firing the weapon is a normal action.
When firing the weapon as a direct fire weapon (ie normal rules) the gunner may use the skill of the missile/torpedo instead of his own. Note that no MAP penalties or Fire Control dice are used if using the skill of the missile/torpedo.
When firing the weapon as a fire and forget weapon (ie the target is out of the missiles normal 'space range') the missile moves at maximum speed towards its target. When the missile/torpedo reaches its target use the skill of the weapon only when rolling to hit. If the missile misses it may turn and try again as long as it has any endurance left.

Shooting at missiles/torpedoes.
Shooting a missile works just like shooting at a starfighter. How hard it is to hit a missile depends on wether the weapon is 'in flight' on its way to the target, or 'in combat' ending up in its target space unit this round.
While in flight, shooting at a missile is only at a +5 difficulty due to the missiles small size. While 'in combat' increase the difficulty with +10 for torpedoes and +15 for missiles. This is due to the fact that the weapon is weaving and maneuvering trying to hit its target. Any hit destroyes the weapon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: