The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do YOU see as the diff between
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> What do YOU see as the diff between Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: What do YOU see as the diff between Reply with quote

Concussion missiles and Proton Torpedoes.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the missiles are supposed to be longer ranged, and fire a warhead that has an area effect shock wave.(concussion).

I think the torpedoes are shorter ranged weapons that are designed to penetrate a target, and use more of a shaped charge type of warhead to get a vital systems.

I think Conc missiles are probably better against soft targets or even against smaller ships like starfighters, where getting a hit is difficult and a bigger area of effect helps (like the proximity effect of an ATA missile).

I think the torps are probably better against hard targets such as capital ships and bunkers. Much like real torps or bunker busting bombs. Smaller area of effect but better penetration.

Not that there is anything in the RAW to back up my view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just referring to the warhead, I went with the idea that proton torpedoes deliver an energy charge similar to blaster energy, while concussion warheads deliver a kinetic discharge using repulsor-based technology, allowing the delivery of kinetic / shockwave damage even in the vacuum of space.

Of course, I also play up the difference between torpedoes and missiles by saying that torpedoes are optimized for space combat while missiles are optimized for atmospheric use, but that's just me.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
If you are just referring to the warhead, I went with the idea that proton torpedoes deliver an energy charge similar to blaster energy, while concussion warheads deliver a kinetic discharge using repulsor-based technology, allowing the delivery of kinetic / shockwave damage even in the vacuum of space.

Of course, I also play up the difference between torpedoes and missiles by saying that torpedoes are optimized for space combat while missiles are optimized for atmospheric use, but that's just me.

Exactly - concussion missiles are far more effective and destructive in an atmosphere (or nebula), a medium through which their concussive shockwaves can be transmitted. Proton torpedos are more of a high explosive designed for more concentrated big bangs instead of shockwave-based area effects.

At least, as I understood it.

Hard core OT, all the way!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed my point, in that, utilizing repulsorlift tech, a concussion warhead could conceivably deliver a potent shockwave in a vacuum as well. My distinction between missile and torpedo is an in-game rule that reflects the capabilities of the warhead's drive and guidance system, not the warhead itself. IMC, depending on mission requirements, a ship could just as easily be equipped with proton missiles or concussion torpedoes.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond the basic mechanical differences like warhead composition and type of shielding which have little or no in-game effect?

For those familiar with explosives terminology (or willing to become so) concussion missiles have a smaller, but more brisant detonation. Proton torpedos are basically small nuclear warheads, and nukes are already fairly brisant in an atmosphere. I suppose that concussion missiles could produce extremely rapidly-expanding particle shields (a modification of crmcniell's idea) to create their massive shattering shockwaves...

Anyways, on a planetary surface, concussion missile shockwaves can produce powerful earthquakes. I estimate magnitude 6 or 7 at least, since they seem to be able to damage Star Wars structures. I've heard a 20 megaton blast yields a 5 on the Richter scale, so I'd say that's about the upper limit of a proton torpedo.

In space, shockwaves don't carry well. Heat and light radiation do, however, and even small nukes make a lot of that kind of stuff. In space, a proton torpedo would make a small, but rapidly expanding ball of plasma, probably millions of degrees in temperature. Assuming my idea of the nature of blaster bolts accurate, this blast would be essentially similar to an omni-directional turbolaser blast.

Long story short: concussion missiles work better on planets, while torpedos are better in space.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to wonder how a concussion missile would be effective in a vacuum until I saw the seismic charges in AOTC. I figure, if SWU tech allows the transmission of kinetic energy in space (with the attendant absence of a medium of energy transference), then perhaps concussion warheads worked on a similar principle. From there, considering the omnipresence of anti-gravity tech in the SWU, it was a simple step to make.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I used to wonder how a concussion missile would be effective in a vacuum until I saw the seismic charges in AOTC. I figure, if SWU tech allows the transmission of kinetic energy in space (with the attendant absence of a medium of energy transference), then perhaps concussion warheads worked on a similar principle. From there, considering the omnipresence of anti-gravity tech in the SWU, it was a simple step to make.
Yeah. I used to figure it was just a high velocity explosion, but I like the new idea better.

Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of kinetic energy transported without a medium or an equal and opposite reaction is a violation of the laws of thermo-dynamics. But then so are telekinesis and repulsor tech.

If however you developed a technology that allowed you to change the curvature of space time, you could theoretically apply torque against it and use that.

Wow technical much. Embarassed
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostboy wrote:
The idea of kinetic energy transported without a medium or an equal and opposite reaction is a violation of the laws of thermo-dynamics. But then so are telekinesis and repulsor tech.

If however you developed a technology that allowed you to change the curvature of space time, you could theoretically apply torque against it and use that.

Wow technical much. Embarassed
Given that space flight in the SWU makes a mockery out of the Laws of Physics, I don't really see it as difficult to over look. After all maybe in a galaxy far far away space isn't a vacuum, just a cold environment, free of any breathable gasses.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
After all maybe in a galaxy far far away space isn't a vacuum, just a cold environment, free of any breathable gasses.
Star Wars space is full of aether. If it was a vacuum there wouldn't be anything to push against the etheric rudder. Wink
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed...I should have realized that, it's all very clear to me now. That'll teach me about ignoring Alchemical reference texts when trying to understand Sci-Fi writings. Wink
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm also surprised that no one has pointed out the higher phlogiston content as a key difference between proton torpedoes and concussion missiles.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
]Star Wars space is full of aether. If it was a vacuum there wouldn't be anything to push against the etheric rudder. Wink
I thought I came up with that idea first...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it first appeared in June 1991 in Timothy Zahn's Heir to Empire so I guess he gets the credit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: