The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

All this talk about the Command skill, what about Tactics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> All this talk about the Command skill, what about Tactics? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: All this talk about the Command skill, what about Tactics? Reply with quote

Okay, so, I've been thinking about how we all think the command skill should be implemented in-game, and starting contemplating the idea of different applications for the command skill.

Some folks have pointed out that certain tasks may require participants to actually use different skills, while other tasks would dictate that all participants should use the same skill if a bonus is going to be added.

Now, from a combat perspective, a Naval officer is not necessarily going to know what to do if he finds himself the highest ranking person in a group of ground-fighting army soldiers. Likewise, a SpecForce officer would not know how to coordinate the activities of a logistics and supply element.

So, I've been toying around with some ideas:

First of all, though, it would require dividing the Tactics skill into various specializations, much like the Scholar skill. Taking "Tactics" by it self would either not be allowed, or would limit the success possible (GM's call). For example, a SpecForce commander would specialize in Tactics: Small Unit Tactics, or Urban Warfare, or Guerilla Tactics etc.

1. A "leader" may use the command skill to coordinate the actions of his followers. If he has a relevant specialization in the Tactics skill, he may add a bonus to his command roll (bonus up to GM, but, for example, just add the Tactics dice to the Command skill, effectively increasing the number of troops he can coordinate at once).

2. The number of dice he has in the Tactics skill increases the bonus granted to the task resolution roll. For example, if the officer has 6D in Tactics: Small Unit Tactics, then when his troops roll their combined action, they get an additional +6 on the roll (not +6D).

3. (Any other suggestions?)

I am in favor of number 2, myself.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea.. I have always thought tactics as a skill should be more like Scholar, where you have a focus....

PS take a look at these 2 prior threads on Tactics..

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=226&highlight=tactics

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2471&highlight=tactics
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those references. The give me some ideas on how to implement the tctics skill all by itself.

Though, what I was trying to get at was the idea that if you are coordinating troops to accomplish a task, your tactical expertise (or lack thereof) should be a factor.

Does that make sense?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Though, what I was trying to get at was the idea that if you are coordinating troops to accomplish a task, your tactical expertise (or lack thereof) should be a factor.

Does that make sense?
Yes. Especially in the absence of a clear chain of command, people are not going to follow an incompetent to their deaths.

I would disagree, though, about using tactics like scholar. Tactics is really a discipline of thought. You can have specializations such as fleet action and small unit tactics, but it all comes down to your ability to use your forces strengths efficiently against your opponent's weaknesses. Mostly, it's about managing advantages, movement, and positions. The largest paradigm shift I can think of is adding the 3rd dimension in space combat.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Especially in the absence of a clear chain of command, people are not going to follow an incompetent to their deaths.
History demonstrates that this is not quite correct. Wink
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Especially in the absence of a clear chain of command, people are not going to follow an incompetent to their deaths.

Time and time again. Sad

Although a chain of command will practically ensure that people will follow an incompetent to their deaths. Rolling Eyes
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Thanks for those references. The give me some ideas on how to implement the tctics skill all by itself.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does and i agree. One house rule i was thinking of implementing is your command is limited to a Max of your Tactics skill.
So if you only have 3d+2 tactics, but you have improved command to 4d+2, you only roll 3d+2....

Quote:
I would disagree, though, about using tactics like scholar. Tactics is really a discipline of thought. You can have specializations such as fleet action and small unit tactics, but it all comes down to your ability to use your forces strengths efficiently against your opponent's weaknesses. Mostly, it's about managing advantages, movement, and positions. The largest paradigm shift I can think of is adding the 3rd dimension in space combat.

Hows about making it 3 separate skills.. Tactics-space, tactics-ground and tactics-air. I know plenty of mil folk who are good in their arena, but can't think their way out of a wet paper bag when out of it (ground going fleet, or fleet going air)...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hows about making it 3 separate skills.. Tactics-space, tactics-ground and tactics-air.
Do you really need a separate tactic for air than for space? That seems to penalize the starfighers as the only arm that operates in two regions. Also seems to encouter some other overlaps - is fighting in space armor or a vac suit in zero-G Tatics-space or tactics-ground. What tactics govern wet navy surface or wet navy submarine?

Given the many options I'm inclinded to keep the overall tactics category and then let the players define the tactics specializations and work with what they have. The more specialized the more specifically useful and the less generally useful. Or you could dump the general category and just let the players define. So some might take Tactics-Space while other take Tactics-Starfighter or Tactics-Capital ships.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
I will occasionally forget to write an important word like "always" when typing on my iPhone...

Especially in the absence of a clear chain of command, people are not always going to follow an incompetent to their deaths. Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Does that make sense?
Yes. Especially in the absence of a clear chain of command, people are not going to follow an incompetent to their deaths.

Ermmmm... I don't know about this one. If you asked me to lead a boat squadron into a maritime battle, I would have a general idea of what to do, but I would not be able to fully exploit all of the capabilities of my assets (since I don't know what they are). I would also be likely to make assumptions (possibly based on movies I've seen or stories I've heard etc) about what my unit can do, when they really can't do that at all.

A great example of this comes right out of my military experience. I was once doing some training with the navy. I was playing the opposition force, while the sailors were defending the objective. There were a couple of marines on the navy's side. When my element attacked, we totally slaughtered the sailors, who kept asking the marines, "what do we do?" because they just didn't know how to fight back (their leadership was incompetent to repel our attack, since, as a ground fighting force, we actually KNOW how to attack and objective on foot, whereas their leadership didn't even know what to expect or how to counter our assault). Unfortunately for the sailors, there weren't enough marines to go around. We stomped them decisively. Now, if it were a boarding action or ship to ship combat... I'm sure it would have gone the complete other way around.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Hows about making it 3 separate skills.. Tactics-space, tactics-ground and tactics-air.
Do you really need a separate tactic for air than for space? That seems to penalize the starfighers as the only arm that operates in two regions. Also seems to encouter some other overlaps - is fighting in space armor or a vac suit in zero-G Tatics-space or tactics-ground. What tactics govern wet navy surface or wet navy submarine?

Given the many options I'm inclinded to keep the overall tactics category and then let the players define the tactics specializations and work with what they have. The more specialized the more specifically useful and the less generally useful. Or you could dump the general category and just let the players define. So some might take Tactics-Space while other take Tactics-Starfighter or Tactics-Capital ships.

Well i could see an overlap for air/space, but i also see a need for some sort of separation.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Tactics is a GM aid skill.

Let's say for instance, you have players who haven't got a lot of tactical experience, so they come up with a relatively simple strategy and roll their tactics. This can result in one of two outcomes.

A) The GM gives the players a hint as to a more effective way to approach the battle, warning them that if they do x then y will happen. This can also be used to help players predict where enemies may attack at or defend, or possibly an enemy contingency plan.

B) The GM rolls the opposing commander's tactics skill and if he loses, then he and his forces are caught off guard by the players. Perhaps the enemy commander wasn't expecting something quite so reckless and did not account for his forces being attacked in such a manner. His forces then take several rounds to adapt to the attack.

In either case I usually will allow for bonuses or penalties to be applied to entire units if a successful command roll is made. These are usually in the +5 or so range. I may increase this bonus if the character rolling specializes in the type of tactics being used.

Also, I use house rules for command skill mixing aspects of 2nd edition and 2nd Ed R&E. I use the command tables from 2nd Ed, while making the commander split bonus dice as described in 2nd Ed R&E. Something didn't sit right with me with regards to a professional level commander only being able to command 4 subordinates.

So, if the commander rolls high enough to command 1500 troops, then they all get the bonus from his tactics skill test.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am trying to address is that the command skill works the way it does BECAUSE tactics are involved in coordinating troops. If you are not using tactics to command your troops, then you are not actually coordinating any actions. In order to be a successful commander, you must possess tactical expertise.

Its the difference between the leader saying "everybody shoot!" and "you guys supress; you guys flank; and you're on overwatch."

If both of these scenarios occured, it's obvious who's going to enhance the effectiveness of his troops and who is just barking orders.

In other words, the command skill NEEDS the tactics skill.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of requisite skills for non-advanced skills in the game. In combat, pretty much the only use for command is combining attacks. It doesn't take a lot of tactical know-how to say "Everyone shoot the rancor!" You cannot combined action dodge.

Suppression, flanking, and taking overwatch are skills that can't really be combined, not unless you have everyone jumping on overwatch or whatever. Technically, they're not even actions that can be taken in combat. This isn't D&D where attacking characters get a bonus when flanking. Suppressive fire is an optional rule which only gets brought up in Rules of Engagement.

What about with uses of command that don't involve combat, like coordinating a repair effort? You don't need tactical know how to know how to deploy a repair crew to fix something more effectively.

I think that like most knowledge skills, the tactics skill gets sort of glazed over, but that is because the GM fails to reward a player with a decent tactics skill. Reward the player for taking tactics, don't force them to.

Also keep in mind that neither Luke Skywalker, nor Han Solo have tactics at all, yet they are in command of Rebel troops.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
For me, Tactics is a GM aid skill...

A) The GM gives the players a hint as to a more effective way to approach the battle, warning them that if they do x then y will happen. This can also be used to help players predict where enemies may attack at or defend, or possibly an enemy contingency plan.

B) The GM rolls the opposing commander's tactics skill and if he loses, then he and his forces are caught off guard by the players. Perhaps the enemy commander wasn't expecting something quite so reckless and did not account for his forces being attacked in such a manner. His forces then take several rounds to adapt to the attack.
Interesting. I like it. I'd also add a C for when the commander of the PC side is an NPC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: