The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

YT-1760 Stock Light Freighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> YT-1760 Stock Light Freighter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: YT-1760 Stock Light Freighter Reply with quote

For a game I'll be using a derelict YT-1760 as the PC's primary star ship.

Unfortunately I haven't used star ship stats in a D6 game since the 90s, leaving me quite unfamiliar with their use. As I familiarize myself with the rules and trying to get my hands on my copy of 'Tramp Freighters' I was hoping someone might help create a set of stats (or help me locate some) for a stock YT-1760 Stock Light Freighter.

In the game, the PCs will find a retired 1760 in nearby salvage yard, fix it up, and begin a life of adventure. It will keep their early adventures grounded as they work to get the ship functional and give me time to flesh it out and familiarize myself with the rules for using and modifying ships.

Admittedly, this ship wont be stock, not even when they first find it, but that will give me a starting point.

I'll be using the following deck plans:

I've seen more accurate plans, but these are my own work and fill my needs while keeping the ship 26.5m long. The first is a stock ship that can hold 8 passengers and has no turrets installed. The second has had gun-wells put in for turrets and the second passenger compartment removed to make room for either a smugglers compartment or shield generators.

Further explanation of what you're seeing:
-The cockpit doubles as an escape pod (the red lines indicate 4 fold down seats for that purpose).
-The forward blue compartment is a head/shower (toilet folds into the wall) for the crew.
-Across from the head is access ladder leading to the 10 ton cargo hold located below the deck.
-Next are the two crew cabins (single bunk each).
-The central area is the lounge with galley and a larger privy attached for general use. The passenger cabins (4 bunks each) attach here and in the center are hard points that would contain a pair of escape pods, one in the ceiling and floor receptively (stock) or replaces one or both with turrets.
-The rear contains the boarding ramp and air lock (rear and top access points).

I see this ship largely as a small, maneuverable courier ship with a cozy crew lounge reminiscent of the Galley or lower passenger lounge on Serenity (Firefly). I also want to leave plenty of room for modification and given the lack of cargo space I think I might give it some virtual cargo space that can be used solely for accommodating modification.

Any help people can offer would be great.

EDIT: Here are some stats I had made for SAGA edition, if people want something to convert:

CEC YT-1760 Stock Light Transport
Colossal Space Transport
Init -4; Senses Perception +5

Defense Ref 12 (flat-footed 12), Fort +24; Armor +11
HP 90; DR 15; Threshold 74
Speed fly 12 squares (max. velocity 990 km/h), fly 3 squares (starship scale)

Ranged None
Fighting Space 12x12 or 1 square (starship scale); Cover total
Base Atk +0; Grp +34

Abilities Str 38, Dex 13 , Con --, Int 14
Skills Initiative -4, Mechanics +5, Perception +5, Pilot -4, Use Computer +5

Crew 1 or 2 (normal); Passengers 8
Cargo 10 tons; Consumables 2 months; Carried Craft none
Hyperdrive x1, navicomputer
Availability Licensed; Cost 80,000 (20,000 used)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Craft: Corellian Engineering YT-1760 Small Transport
Affiliation: General
Era: Rise of the Empire
Type: Small space transport
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 20 meters
Skill: Space transports: YT-1760
Crew: 2
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 8
Cargo Capacity: 10 metric tons
Consumables: 2 months
Cost: 80,000 (new) 20,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyperdrive Backup: x15
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 kmh
Hull: 3D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 25/0D
Scan: 50/1D
Search: 60/2D
Focus: 2/3D
Weapons:
Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/10/20
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5km
Damage: 4D

There are some converted stats already. These I believe are for a stock version of the ship.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperdrive is a bit fast, Military Grade. Cargo space is tiny. Good for a courier or a smuggler from the outset (aside from the weak hull), not so good for cargo haulers except for high priced, perishables.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, these are from Gry's Starship stats.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you Raven Redstar, that helps a bunch. That looks like it might be a conversion of the original SW Gamer stats (can't confirm at the moment), not quite stock, but close enough for me to work with once I get a better handle on the rules.

Ray, agreed, makes a solid choice for a courier ship, and exactly what I'm looking for. I do lament how delicate it is, but I may be able to work around that.

I've always been a fan of the YT-1760 since it first appeared in SW Gamer #2, small, cheap, easily modified, great for any group of adventurers that have little need to haul large cargoes (something I've rarely needed). Seems like a nice, cozy place to call home.

EDIT: Admittedly I have felt that the hyperdrive on the stock model was a little bit too fast, an x2 being far more likely. I have got the sense that over the last ten years or so, the use of x1 hyperdrives on commercial and civilian stock ships has been greatly over exaggerated... a long with starship performance in other areas... if only people could build ships in the civil war era as well as the clone wars, lol.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to tone down a lot of the hyperdrives on civilian models as well. x2 is usually the top of the line that any stock civilian ship will have.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I tend to tone down a lot of the hyperdrives on civilian models as well. x2 is usually the top of the line that any stock civilian ship will have.
I've tried talking to my GM about Middle-of-the-Road Hyperdrives for the Non-Military types that are supposed to be "Faster than a conventional freighter".

1.75 or 1.5 Hyperdrive ratings are still, barely, understandable in some designs.

Again, he didn't like homebrew. Yet now he asks for them, go figure. Laughing
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We game masters are a fickle people.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Good for a courier or a smuggler from the outset (aside from the weak hull)
3D Hull + 1D shields is weak for a stock light freighter? That seems above average to me.

Complete Starship Construction System
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Ray wrote:
3D Hull + 1D shields is weak for a stock light freighter? That seems above average to me.
I consider the YT-1300 to be "Average". Razz
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Ray wrote:

In D20, the 1760 had 90hp, which left it just below the average of 100hp (YT-1300 and similar)... relatively negligible, but present and noted in the original fluff if I recall correctly.

In D6 I've been finding that average hull is somewhere around 3D+2 to 4D (this is particularly true in the 2R&E with a sample size of 2, 3 if you count the Lone scout-A). This leaves the 1760, again, just below average.

Note also that the stock 1760 does not come with shields (excepting of course a required set of particle shields), in other words, it has a shield rating of 0. The D6 stats appear to be based on the D20 stats from SW Gamer #2 which was itself a modified ship, adding shields and a single turret. EDIT: It's also possible the original stats may have had an improved hull too given the fluff (again, questionable memory) and an improved hyperdrive, but that never seems to be the assumption.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for representing the YT-1760 in game (mine at least), I've bumped into an annoyance. My current deck plan assumes that the ship is 19.5m (the original length), not 26.5m (the current cannon) as I had assumed. I used 1.5 meter squares not 2 meter.

I'm left with a conundrum; do I keep to the original length or redo my layout to account for the larger size?

In favour of the first choice, I do love its small, cozy size, which makes it more personable in my mind. It also fits well with the current party of 2 PCs. and the bulk of the work is done already - I will mod a deckplan to better suit this games ship (the previous two were stock and a version from another game) - but I don't need to redo the whole ship.

In favour of the second, I would have a lot more room inside and could better represent the class, and perhaps design a much better layout, but alas, that would be a lot of extra work.

In all likelihood I'll stick with what I have... but it helps to regurgitate all this some where to chew it over... now their is a poor choice of mixed metaphors.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Ray wrote:
I consider the YT-1300 to be "Average". Razz
I figure the YT-1300 is sturdier than average, but comes without shields, so 3D seems like it would be a medium-light hull for a light freighter, and plain old medium for a 20 meter long courier.

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimson_red wrote:
Excellent, thank you Raven Redstar, that helps a bunch. That looks like it might be a conversion of the original SW Gamer stats (can't confirm at the moment), not quite stock, but close enough for me to work with once I get a better handle on the rules.

Sorry, I've been asleep at the wheel for the last couple of days. I can convert your homebrew SAGA stats. I did a lot of these for the conversion books. We'll see how similar it is to the stock.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's your ship. I'm not saying whether this particular stat block is a good idea to use. I will say that it is an accurate representation of the SAGA stat block that you have presented.

The noticeable lack of weapons will be a bit of a hindrance, as well as a lack of shields. However, this would be consistent with what you've noted elsewhere in the thread.

Quote:

Craft: Corellian Engineering YT-1760 Small Transport
Affiliation: General
Type: Small Space Transport
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 32 meters
Skill: Space transports: YT-1760
Crew: 1 or 2 (normal)
Crew Skill: varies
Passengers: 8
Cargo Capacity: 10 tons
Consumables: 3 months
Cost: Cost 80,000 (20,000 used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyberdrive Backup: x15
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 330; 990kmh
Hull: 3D
Shields: 0D
Sensors:
Passive: 25/0D
Scan: 50/1D
Search: 60/2D
Focus: 2/3D
Weapons:
None, but if you had any, they would have a fire control of 2D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: