The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ship type you would give a salvage scout?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Ship type you would give a salvage scout?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Ship type you would give a salvage scout? Reply with quote

SO, lets say you have a PC making a salvage scout.. what sort of base level ship would you give him, and would there be any debt?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the background. If he was ex Imperial I'd give him one of these:
Craft: Sienar Fleet Systems "Lone Scout-A"
Type: Stock scout vessel
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 24 meters
Skill: Space transports: Lone Scout
Crew: 1
Passengers: 3
Cargo Capacity: 150 metric tons, 60 cubic meters
Consumables: 1 year
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x15
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 5
Atmosphere: 295; 850 kmh
Hull: 4D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 30 / 0D
Scan: 50 / 1D
Search: 75 / 2D
Focus: 5 / 3D
Weapons:
One Laser Cannon
Scale: Starfighter
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 0D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 4D

It's a pretty resonable ship for starting out.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i was thinking of updating my salvage scout template (one of those i posted last year iirc) from having either a HT-2200 or a L19, to something cheaper... But not a YT.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ship type you would give a salvage scout? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
SO, lets say you have a PC making a salvage scout.. what sort of base level ship would you give him, and would there be any debt?
Depends on whether he is finding and marking salvage for someone else to reclaim, whether he is picking up and hauling or towing derelict ships back to a repair yard, or whether he is salvaging for parts rather than entire vessels.

• A Lone Scout is fine for "find and mark."
  • An HT-2200 or a Barloz Medium Freighter with very strong tractor beams and slow but powerful engines (think tugboat) is good for "pick up and haul" of starfighter scale ships. You might also use the Cuirilla-Raye Xylines-class CRX-Spacetug.
  • If he is salvaging capital scale ships you need some sort of capital scale hauler maybe a modified Gallofree Medium Transportor or an Action IV Bulk Transport with heavy tractor beams and powerful engines or a customized corvette with strong but slow engines substituted for less powerful fast engines.
  • If he is salvaging for parts he doesn't need powerful tractor beams - but still needs at least one beam - but he will need cutting lasers. Depending on scale an HT-2200 or a medium or large transport would do the job.

[/list]
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more a mix of 2 and 4.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then a starfighter scale medium freighter like the HT-2200 or the Barloz would be good. I also like the CRX Space Tug - in part bacause it seems to fit the salvage idea, in part because it is seldom used, whereas the HT-2200 is only slightly less popular than the YT-1300 (and similar YTs) and the Ghtroc.

The Vulture's Claw from the Clone Wars TV show episode Ambush on the Vulture's Claw might also work for what you have in mind. The Vulture's Claw is a GS-100 Salvage Ship, which sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look more like it.. thanks.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd give them a junkyard special. ie a ship that was junked and then taken and made operational again. this way the ship isnt great, has minimal debt if any and has plenty of personality quirks

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based of what? Or would you make it a unique (say an ugly)..
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me, I would look at the following:

-Unless he is scouting from a "Mothership" he's probably going to want to salvage smaller/valuable items he stumbles across.
-Salvage is dangerous work and should be a group activity. Will you have enough players to fill the crew? Or will you need to add a couple of yours to round things out a little?
-Make sure their ship has a good Tractor Beam. It will be necessary to bring larger salvage on board.
-A salvage vessel should have a decent ammount of cargo space. Its not going to do you any good to salvage a starfighter or large piece of equipment if you dont have any way to bring it back to port.
-How are the character(s) going to scout their salvage? If they are boarding a direlect ship, they will want space suits of some type. Something that gives a little Strength bonus would be plus.

As for the ship itself. A custom ship would probably be the best way to approach it. And I REALLY like the idea of a scavanger "Ugly." But if I was going to use an existing ship from the Star Wars universe, I would do one of the following:
Corellian XS-800. Trade out some of the passanger compartments in exchange for a pair of Tractor Beams (One for each cargo bay.) and possibly some additional storage space.
Nova-Drive 3-Z: Give up some of the cargo space and add a Heavy Tractor Beam.
HT-2200: Give up a couple of the passanger compartments for a pair of Heavy Tractor beams. Second, I would set up at least the forward cargo bays with a large door that opens wide enough to allow access for larger items. (A single massive boarding ramp in the front of each arm of the ship allowing full access to bay 1 & 2 would be perfect.) Be sure to add airlocks between the cargo bays and the crew section of the ship so you dont vent all the atmosphere any time you open the bays for salvage though, . . . )
*There are a lot of other ships that would work just as well, but those are the ones that came to mind.

The last thing I would look at is how the ship will affect the game dynamic. Is it going to be too much for beginning characters? If so, add some massive debt to it, or give them a ship that is in bad repair so they end up spending most of their earnings repairing it. Do you want to keep the focus on the story instead of worrying about breakdowns & debt collectors? Then dont hesitate to give your player(s) a good ship from the start. In the end, you should do whats going to work best for your story.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was starting a campaign like that once. I had them work on a HEAVILY modified Wayfarer-class Medium Transport. The idea of having a detachable cargo container sounded really interesting. The original stat block was pretty crew-heavy IIRC, but the ship had some backstory and we actually spent a few adventures trying to get it running enough just get it out of a junk yard, much less get it into space.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Be sure to add airlocks between the cargo bays and the crew section of the ship so you dont vent all the atmosphere any time you open the bays for salvage though
You want airlocks for redundant safety, but rather than venting 40% or more of the breathable atmosphere everytime you open a door they should get magnetic fields like the landing bays on large ships. That way they can save on air loss. You could even put in a second set of magnetic shields between cargo bay 1 and 2 on each side for additional atmosphere containment and redundancy.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
Be sure to add airlocks between the cargo bays and the crew section of the ship so you dont vent all the atmosphere any time you open the bays for salvage though
You want airlocks for redundant safety, but rather than venting 40% or more of the breathable atmosphere everytime you open a door they should get magnetic fields like the landing bays on large ships. That way they can save on air loss. You could even put in a second set of magnetic shields between cargo bay 1 and 2 on each side for additional atmosphere containment and redundancy.

Thats a great idea. But you would probably still want a physical airlock between the living area and the cargo areas just for safety/power failure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: