The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vassal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Vassal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Vassal Reply with quote

I found this piece of freeware, and honestly find it amazing.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars_Miniatures

Basically it simulates a map, and then has all the Wizard of the Coast mini graphics to place anywhere on this "board". You have to get the vassal engine first.

It is made to have online mini battles with other people, but as far as I see it you can use it for D6 role-play or even Saga.

Just have your players pick "characters" then pick baddies and move them round. Do the dice rolling off of the computer and you have a perfect map and battle to play with. I think there is even one for starship battles but I haven't downloaded it yet.

My first experience was great. My fiance and I just put our two characters done I designed a battle in the undercities of taris, and we went at it. Clearly seeing cover, range, location, and the next "area" just helped amazingly in get lost in the moment. I just use it on my laptop so I if one had a projector it could be even better.

Anyways, just thought I'd share it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my friends used that all the time. I think I might even have it installed somewhere. I just haven't used it because I'd rather be there with friends when I'm playing. I have heard mostly good things about the software though.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Re-post before pots...

Last edited by Azai on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was kinda like the holy grail when I discovered it.

The only thing I'd love to do is being able to add in more figures of my own, but I think there is some pretty heavy coding to do that. The star wars modules is a all in one file that contains everything. I wouldn't know how to just add one thing into it.

Still Wizard of the Coast produced enough minis that you can almost always find "your" character among them.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if you can't, they were easy enough to modify that you could fairly easily make your own character.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Azai"]

The only thing I'd love to do is being able to add in more figures of my own, but I think there is some pretty heavy coding to do that. The star wars modules is a all in one file that contains everything. I wouldn't know how to just add one thing into it. /quote]

It might not be a tough as you think. It's possible that the file with teh characters is just some sort of compresssed folder of images, and it could be uncompressed and added to.

I'll try to DL the files andgive them a look. No promises, but you never know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: