The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi & Sith NPC Collection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Jedi & Sith NPC Collection Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Sith Overseers?

They're responsible for weeding out weak acolytes and administering trials so that a Sith can become an apprentice. They're kind of the bottom of the food chain of trained Sith. Strong enough to make it, not strong enough to be a force on the galaxy like your Sith Lords and Darths.

Do you know where I can find more information about them? Wookieepedia's entry on them is only one centence long. Is there anything significant that would set them apart from other low leveled Sith?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Overseer_(Sith)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just their authority.

They're from The Old Republic and administer trials and education to new recruits.

In the Old republic, the Sith are devised by the general authority levels:

- The Emperor
--The Emperor has his "Children" which function much the same as Palpatine's "Emperor's hand."
--He also has the Emperor's Wrath, which functions much like a sheriff. Like Vader to the Emperor.
-Dark Council (Given title of Darth)
-Lords
-Overseers
-Apprentices (Though these will sometimes have more authority than an overseer, depending on the situation and largely which lord is teaching them.)
-Acolytes

Most, if not all of the Overseers operate only on Korriban. Aside from the Lords there, function for the most part as the head honchos of the academy.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what would set them apart from other Sith? What would set them apart from either an advanced Apprentace or a low level Lord? (Stat & skill wise.)
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see them stat & skill wise as something similar to a Jedi Librarian. There for the education of low level acolytes. Higher knowledge, scholar: Sith Lore, maybe some decent levels of persuasion: instruction, or command: acolytes? They may have a wide variety of skills that are at lower levels than more specialized Sith. Interrogation, Lightsaber Repair, History, planetary systems, survival, or anything else which might be particularly useful to a low level acolyte.

Here is another stub. It's also short, but worded differently.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts on the Overseer, they actually mirror my own for the most part.

Added Sith Overseer to the list.

I'm starting to get the 'itch' to work on some of my gaming projects again. In the next couple of weeks, I plan to get all my notes organized again so work can begin again once my parents go home (2-3 weeks.) Just keep in mind, with twin 3month old boys at home, work is going to be SLOW, so dont expect uptades to be very big for a while.

There are still three collections to be done:
Civilians
Jedi & Sith (May be broken into two collections)
Law Enforcement & Security

If anyone can think of anything more to add to ANY of these lists, please post your suggestions in the appropriate threads.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth. I put together the table of contents for this collection this morning and took the time to set everything up so I can begin working on it. I'll be starting work on this collection as soon as the other two (Which are nearing completion) are finished. In a perfect world, that would be some time tomorrow, with twins involved, its more likely to be another week.

My hopes are that I can complete the last of the NPC collections by the end of July so I can contribute to some of the fan books the community is starting work on.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going over my notes in anticipation of working on this part of the NPC project, and I wanted to get some feedback on things.

How things stand right now, I plan to make use of the Force Powers that WEG created, but I'm also planning to make use of at least some of the powers presented in both the Force Powers pdf by Cheshire and T.S. Aranha and the recent Force Compendium by Forceally.

When applying powers to the templates, I'm not sure how I want to go about it yet. I can think of two ways to approach this: 1. I can include a list of powers with each template to create a "stock" force user. or 2. I can list some basic powers with the template, then include a list of additional powers that would be appropriate for the template for GMs to choose from (Template may say "Choose three additional powers from the following list." then have a list of 15-20 powers that would fit the character type.)

The first option would make things simpler for GMs (And most GMs wouldnt be shy about trading out a few powers if they felt the need anyway.) The down side of this, is that I'm not entirely comfortable putting together cookie-cutter Force Users the way I have done with most of the other NPCs in the previous collections.

On the other hand, the second option would require GMs to put a little more effort into their "stock" force users, but it would give them the tools to make quick changes themselves.

I'm leaning towards the second option because I feel it would make for more flexable Force users even though it would require the people making use of the NPCs to do a little bit of work themselves. Maybe I should throw together one stat block both ways to see how things come together?

Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other? If so, which way do you think I should go with things, and why?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would create a stock list of powers.

You could always add the disclaimer with the stock list:

*These are powers that have been demonstrated by this type, they may however have other powers as yet to have been seen.*

I was wondering if you were planning on adding the Teepo Paladins to your force user book. Crell's character in Prophecy reminded me that they actually exist.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I would create a stock list of powers.

You could always add the disclaimer with the stock list:

*These are powers that have been demonstrated by this type, they may however have other powers as yet to have been seen.*

I was wondering if you were planning on adding the Teepo Paladins to your force user book. Crell's character in Prophecy reminded me that they actually exist.

I added them to the list (Tentatvely).

Like the earlier collectons, I'm going to try being as complete as possible. That means I would like to have at least one representative for every force using group that had enough information to work with, and that brings someting interesting/new to the collecton.

I'll try to work up a more complete to-do list in the next few weeks.

I've come to the decision that I will be breaking the project into three parts once I start working on it. That should result in two things 1. A project that I can work on in more managable portions. and 2. More visible progress for anyone who is following the pogress.

It looks like the NPC collection should have some kind of reference at the end of the book. It will include a mention of both the Force Powers pdf, and the Force Compendium so people know were some of the Force powers came from. Can anyone think of anything else that should be included?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also be able to get some guidelines by using the D20 books as reference. Since they break Jedi character classes down by Warrior and Consular, it might provide you with some guidelines as to what powers would be more favored by one type of character than the other.

In fact, that might be an interesting side project for the forum; what kind of Jedi do you want your character to be, and what skills and powers do you need to invest in to get him there?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit, I had picked up some of the Star Wars d20 stuff a while back when I found them for almost nothing at the local Goodwill. I looked things over in detail during the following month, and by the end of it, the whole system felt so wrong that I ended up selling the books on ebay shortly after. I do however have access to some of the earlier books, so I'll be sure to look those over to see what I can come up with when I get ready to start making stats. The d20 material might provide some good ideas for how to progress.

One of the first thigs I plan to do is make a list of powers that are common to the Jedi and Sith (One list for each) and to make a list of powers that are unique to certain Force using groops, or sub-groups. That way I will have a quick list to reference when assigning powers to an NPC.

I'm not as comfortable building Force users as most of the other NPCs, so I expect that with this collection, I'll be submitting a lot more of my work to the community for review.

The focus will be on Force powers from the WEG materils. Powers from the two Force power fanbooks and conversion books will also make appearances, but in a much more limited way. I feel that this will give me enough material to create a decent assortment of basic Force users for all three groupings, but at the same time there should be plenty of material to build the more exotic Force users while still leaving a lot of material untouched for GMs to create their own Force users with "unique" powers within their games.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally's Force Power Compendium should also be very useful.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
You might also be able to get some guidelines by using the D20 books as reference. Since they break Jedi character classes down by Warrior and Consular, it might provide you with some guidelines as to what powers would be more favored by one type of character than the other.

I'm not sure that it necessarily provides the basis one might assume it would. Depending on how you develop a character class, and even more so once you choose a prestige class allows for a considerable differentiation between characters by allowing access to extremely specialized talents and feats, less so with Force Powers. True, the consular may have access to things that seem more "consulary" than a Jedi that focuses on healing or negotiation, but that will largely be in terms of talent trees that don't have a good D6 equivalent. If you're fluent with both systems you can see how a character might be better at certain maneuvers, but in ways that don't transition over. For example in our current game, my wife has taken a talent that allows her to make an enemy "flat footed" (or more vulnerable to certain kinds of attacks) if she 1) does damage with her lightsaber, and 2) spends a force point (not equivalent to D6 force points). Two other characters have feats and talents that allow us to do extraordinary damage if we attack an opponent that is either flat footed, flanked, or both. If we're facing someone tough, she'll get in and set up the target, make them flat footed, I'll run up and soften them up, and then the third person will tumble in, flank them, and finish them off. It's a virtual "bump, set, and spike" of combat.

Yeah, you can get ideas from the d20 NPCs, but given that they have a much narrower selection of Force powers (since you can only take Force Training every three levels or something), it winds up being a pretty narrow sample compared to D6, and you have to be pretty fluent with both systems in order to get the full effect of the stat block.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Forceally's Force Power Compendium should also be very useful.

That was one of the two "Force Power Fanbooks" I was refering to.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, you can get ideas from the d20 NPCs, but given that they have a much narrower selection of Force powers (since you can only take Force Training every three levels or something), it winds up being a pretty narrow sample compared to D6, and you have to be pretty fluent with both systems in order to get the full effect of the stat block.

Yeah, that was te impression I was under as well. I do however plan to look things over in the hopes of gleaning something useful from it. I am fairly fluent with d20 (I play Pathfider, Exodus, Modern d20, AD&D, D&D 3.5, & D&D 4th ed.) even if I'm not familiar with Star Wars d20. Even if I dont like d20 for Star Wars, I do have to admit, they have always been good at putting a character type (Class) into a box. Seeing what they do, or do not group with a kind of chracter might help me get in the mind set for this leg of the project and/or give me some ideas to work with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: