The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

d6 probability spreadsheets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> d6 probability spreadsheets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: d6 probability spreadsheets Reply with quote

I enjoy the crazy storytelling a cinematic action the d6 system allows, but I'm also interested in its mechanical structure and the probability distributions it creates. Problem was the wild die made it mathematically inapproachable for the longest time. Surfing around I found "Da Bum's" spreadsheet and graphs. Great stuff.

http://www.daemonstorm.com/role-playing/d6-system/D6-Probabilities-with-the-Wild-Die

I used his experimental cumulative probabilities to create my own spreadsheet that has probabilities of rolling higher, and higher by 4+, 9+, 13+ and 16+ for various amounts of dice. I wanted to know the likelihood of beating an opponent's dodge and the likelihoods of getting them to a certain wound level.

I haven't seen any tool like this available and would like to make my document available to the community. Problem is I don't have a FileShare and the spreadsheet is in Numbers (sorry). If there's interest please PM me.
S-Foil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What synchronicity, I wrote a similar perl script before Christmas to do something very similar. I'm attempting to roll a very simplistic combat simulation to compare two characters based on their skill and equipment. I'm calculating the average number of turns needed for a character to incapacitate a Stormtrooper (or get incapacitated themselves).

If I ever finish it I'll post the results because I've found my preliminary numbers heavily affected by the presence of the Wild Die.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the powerful maths! I will be able to make great use of this!

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: d6 probability spreadsheets Reply with quote

MacRauri wrote:
Surfing around I found "Da Bum's" spreadsheet and graphs. Great stuff.

http://www.daemonstorm.com/role-playing/d6-system/D6-Probabilities-with-the-Wild-Die
Cool stuff. 8) I think your spreadsheets might make a good addition to the D6 magazine as a follow on to the article they had in Issue #1 on probabilities for D6.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: d6 probability spreadsheets Reply with quote

MacRauri wrote:

I haven't seen any tool like this available and would like to make my document available to the community. Problem is I don't have a FileShare and the spreadsheet is in Numbers (sorry). If there's interest please PM me.

I was looking for just such a thing, and I have looked an enjoyed greatly. Thanks for sharing it.

A dumb question though... why does the chart, for instance, say that there's only a 94% probability when rolling 3D to get a 2? Does this assume the wild die comes up one and is ignored? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody noticed that the table is off?

For instance, according to the table the odds of rolling a 5+ on 1D is the same as rolling 6+ (33.31% according tot he table). That's not right!

The chance of rolling 5+ on 1D (wild die) is 33.33% (close enough to 33.31%), but the chance of rolling 6+ is 16.67% not 33.31%. And the chance of roll 7+ should be the same as rolling 6+ since you reroll the 6 on the wild die.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: d6 probability spreadsheets Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
MacRauri wrote:

I was looking for just such a thing, and I have looked an enjoyed greatly. Thanks for sharing it.

A dumb question though... why does the chart, for instance, say that there's only a 94% probability when rolling 3D to get a 2? Does this assume the wild die comes up one and is ignored? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

IIRC The author of the charts was using a 2nd ed, not an R&E rule set. In this rule set if you role a 1, you roll the wild die again to see what happens. Therefore, the probability of getting less than 3 is reduced.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Has anybody noticed that the table is off?

For instance, according to the table the odds of rolling a 5+ on 1D is the same as rolling 6+ (33.31% according tot he table). That's not right!

The chance of rolling 5+ on 1D (wild die) is 33.33% (close enough to 33.31%), but the chance of rolling 6+ is 16.67% not 33.31%. And the chance of roll 7+ should be the same as rolling 6+ since you reroll the 6 on the wild die.

Yes, I stopped working with this as I didn't understand the math underlying it.

And thanks cheshire for your response. I've never used R&E so I've always assumed the mechanics are the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: