The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Law Enforcement & Security NPC Collection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Law Enforcement & Security NPC Collection Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little, but not nearly as much as I would like. (Its amazing how much time two 9 month old boys who are just learning how to walk take our of your hobby time, . . . )

At this point, I expect that I'll be able to finish it in just a couple of hours, its just a matter of finding that time. Lately I've been doing just a couple of blocks every day or two as time has allowed. At the rate I've been able to work on things lately, the collection will be done in a couple of weeks. If I can find some real time to work on things, I could potentially finish it up later this week. (The soonest that I could potentially have some time is on Thursday.)
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small update for those who are following this project.

While knocking out a couple of stat blocks this morning, I took a few minutes to look at what all I still need to complete. It looks like I'm down to about 15 stat blocks left to go. I plan to post a couple of samples later this week for review.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Just out of curiosity, what is left after Law Enforcement? I can't think of a relevant NPC category that you haven't covered yet.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Very cool. Just out of curiosity, what is left after Law Enforcement? I can't think of a relevant NPC category that you haven't covered yet.

There is only one more NPC collection that I would like to cover. Force Users. I've done the ground work for the project (List of characters, some research, etc.) But I havent done any significant work on the project yet.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

There is only one more NPC collection that I would like to cover. Force Users. I've done the ground work for the project (List of characters, some research, etc.) But I havent done any significant work on the project yet.

Cool

I have to say thanks for all the lists & collections you have put together! I've been down loading them and they are giving me tons of excuses to avoid my papers and grading my cadets work Smile

Forgive all spelling errors.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, its always nice to know someone has been making use of the NPC collections!

And to think, when I first started these collections, a few people thought I was wasteing my time, . . .
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Thanks, its always nice to know someone has been making use of the NPC collections!

And to think, when I first started these collections, a few people thought I was wasteing my time, . . .

no waste, not at all, from my point of view! Very Happy

Used them a great deal, and looking forward to the Force user collection as well!

just been quiet on the SW side for a while, into other games recently to kinda break things up... Smile

T.C.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using them in my games and to do research for coming up with some ideas for my own mooks.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Out of curiosity, how do you guys end up using the stats? Do you use them as a starting point for your own NPCs, or do you use them as-is? How helpful is it to have the scaled up versions of the verious stats? Would anyone be interested in having my short "NPC How To Guide" included in the final compilation?

Since the subject of "what's next" has come up. I thought it might be a good chance to ask. I've managed to put together stats for nearly everything I originally set out to complete (Just got a few more sets to complete for this collection, then I have the Force Users collection planned.) Can anyone think of ANYTHING that I may have missed?

At this point, I'm toying around with the idea of doing a few race specific collections (Ewoks, Gungans, Jawas, Tusken Raiders, Wookiees, etc) If I decide to run with the idea, they would likely be small collections of 5-10 different stat blocks along with the scaled up versions of each.

If not NPCs, is there any other kind(s) of project that people might find useful?

PS: For anyone who hasnt already found the NPC collections, you can follow the link in my signature to my own work, along with a few other files that you may find useful.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
At this point, I'm toying around with the idea of doing a few race specific collections (Ewoks, Gungans, Jawas, Tusken Raiders, Wookiees, etc) If I decide to run with the idea, they would likely be small collections of 5-10 different stat blocks along with the scaled up versions of each.

What I'd like to see would be race-specific templates that can be applied to modify NPCs. Say you have a merchant or something from the civilians stat collection, but you want to make him a specific species. Since some species have different attribute limitations than humans, you could just apply positive and negative modifiers to the basic NPC stats to generate an NPC of a specific species.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends. I've been using the CIS droid stats as is, but due to the time period and point in my game, I have little use for many of the others.

However, as the new republic era has made more intelligent and better imperials, I plan to crew my small imperial fleet with more veteran imperial generics than the baseline stats in the original books. IE: Yours.

I sort of wish I'd had these before I went through making up full stat blocks for my republic spec force unit, hours of time spent that could have been used for other things.

I think having a How To Guide would be very useful. It shows the thought process used in making the stats you've provided.

Doing specific race stats would be nice for many occasions!
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:

PS: For anyone who hasnt already found the NPC collections, you can follow the link in my signature to my own work, along with a few other files that you may find useful.

Ok, I admidt, I had an off day Embarassed Laughing Laughing

Forgive all spelling errors.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:

Ok, I admidt, I had an off day Embarassed Laughing Laughing

Dont feel too bad about it. I get 1-2 PMs a month asking where someone can find the collections. Wink
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:

What I'd like to see would be race-specific templates that can be applied to modify NPCs. Say you have a merchant or something from the civilians stat collection, but you want to make him a specific species. Since some species have different attribute limitations than humans, you could just apply positive and negative modifiers to the basic NPC stats to generate an NPC of a specific species.

That could be interesting. The only down side I can see is that it would require a staggering ammount of work (This is also why I avoided included race or gender for a lot of the stat blocks up to this point.) To do this, I would need to create modifiers for every race that has been stated (See the Aliens Stats pdf for an idea of how many races I would need to create modifiers for.)

With that said, I'll consider it if anyone can think of a good way to do it.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I think having a How To Guide would be very useful. It shows the thought process used in making the stats you've provided.

Doing specific race stats would be nice for many occasions!

I actually posted the "How To Guide" here on the forum a while back. If I add it, I'll probably go over it to make a couple of small modifications, then have it placed in the back of the compilation book.
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3546

Any further ideas for race specific collections?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: