The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Re-revised Expanded Martial Arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Re-revised Expanded Martial Arts Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HACCP
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Re-revised Expanded Martial Arts Reply with quote

I did some editing to Martial Arts: Revised & Expanded. Mainly some new layout, but also alterations to a small degree. I managed to free some space using a new layout, reducing it from 30 to 20 pages. This is not the final release as I have found some typos and graphic glitches. Think of it as a preview.

Original revision by Stephen Morgan. Great job mate, whoever you are.

Here's the re-revised Expanded Martial Arts.

http://gubbspel.buu.nu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/expanded-martial-arts.pdf

And the cover.
http://gubbspel.buu.nu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/martial-arts-cover.pdf
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I like the details you've included, not to mention the sheer number of available forms. One thing that occurred to me when reading about Wruushi is the Wookiee tendency for tearing people's limbs off in combat. I always thought it would be neat to see a specific rule for that in any Wookiee martial art form write-up. Just a thought...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is uncanny. One of my projects I've got on the back burner is to make martial arts rules into something for Open D6, using the Star Wars martial arts rules as a reference point. My idea was to separate it into styles from which players could select maneuvers, similar to what you've presented here.

I've only taken a cursory look at things. Would you mind if I used this as a reference point in working on my ideas for Open D6, potentially for the D6 Magazine? Your name would appear in print, of course.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
One thing that occurred to me when reading about Wruushi is the Wookiee tendency for tearing people's limbs off in combat. I always thought it would be neat to see a specific rule for that in any Wookiee martial art form write-up. Just a thought...

Ugh... a little gory for my games.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
One thing that occurred to me when reading about Wruushi is the Wookiee tendency for tearing people's limbs off in combat. I always thought it would be neat to see a specific rule for that in any Wookiee martial art form write-up. Just a thought...

Ugh... a little gory for my games.

Maybe. But it featured in the novel The Courtship of Princess Leia, and it's already in the RAW that a character who inflicts a killing blow can choose to downgrade it to a Maimed result. I think Maimed pretty much covers having an arm torn off, don't you? Wink

HACCP
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can do with it whatever you want. Send me a PM if you want the original InDesign -files (version CS 5.5).

Steve Morgan, the guy who originally collected and revised all the information from various sources, deserves all the credit.

I just finished a 14 page guide to lightsaber forms if anyone is interested? Same thing here. I just gathered the information from various sources and compiled it with some new layout. Let me know if you want to take a look later on.
Right now I have my living room full of young jedi waiting to do battle in the city of Izis and maybe take a swing at Warb Null.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HACCP wrote:
You guys can do with it whatever you want. Send me a PM if you want the original InDesign -files (version CS 5.5).

Steve Morgan, the guy who originally collected and revised all the information from various sources, deserves all the credit.

Have any idea where it originated from, or how we can find this guy?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-revised Expanded Martial Arts Reply with quote

HACCP wrote:
I did some editing to Martial Arts: Revised & Expanded. Mainly some new layout, but also alterations to a small degree. I managed to free some space using a new layout, reducing it from 30 to 20 pages. This is not the final release as I have found some typos and graphic glitches. Think of it as a preview.

Original revision by Stephen Morgan. Great job mate, whoever you are.

Here's the re-revised Expanded Martial Arts.

http://gubbspel.buu.nu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/expanded-martial-arts.pdf

And the cover.
http://gubbspel.buu.nu/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/martial-arts-cover.pdf

Great stuff! Ill not use it 'as is' but its great to convert more techniques to my MA rules.

BTW, are you from Sweden, and do you work with food hygiene? Wink
HACCP
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-revised Expanded Martial Arts Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Have any idea where it originated from, or how we can find this guy?

All I have is that name. I recently found the original file in a folder full of unsorted D6 stuff.

ZzaphodD wrote:

BTW, are you from Sweden, and do you work with food hygiene? Wink

I am and I did. Weird to use a system that originates from NASA and apply it on, in my case, fast food.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I did some digging and I found him. We have permission to go ahead on the Open D6 project. It will be a while before I get to it, but at least I have permission for when I do have the time.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HACCP wrote:

I just finished a 14 page guide to lightsaber forms if anyone is interested? Same thing here. I just gathered the information from various sources and compiled it with some new layout. Let me know if you want to take a look later on.
Right now I have my living room full of young jedi waiting to do battle in the city of Izis and maybe take a swing at Warb Null.

I'd like to take a look at your lightsaber guide. I've been working on my own rules for (A)Lightsaber forms and I'd be curious to see what you've got.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
HACCP wrote:

I'd like to take a look at your lightsaber guide. I've been working on my own rules for (A)Lightsaber forms and I'd be curious to see what you've got.

I'd like to see it as well. I've got a Lightsaber Combat system that I'm pretty saisfied with, but I'm always interested in seeing someone else's take on the subject.

HACCP
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the lightsaber forms I mentioned. It was originally created by Volker Maiwald and I'm sure I've seen it on this forum. I didn't touch the technical bits. The rules are still in it's original form. I did add some information to some forms, fluff if you wish, and some editing concerning layout and images.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but the different forms are bought as separate skills. Combined forms are specialized skills, but I think that is mentioned.

I am working on a new, updated version of this document. It will be a rewrite with rulechanges. I'll keep you posted on that.

http://gubbspel.buu.nu/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/lightsaber-forms-new.pdf
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem that I've noticed on your Martial Arts styles is with Wrruushi style, the Raw power ability says that if the damage roll beats the victims strength roll by 10 or more that they fall unconscious without a difficult stamina check. 9-12 on the damage scale indicates a damage level of incapacitated which:

Quote:
An incapacitated character falls prone and is knocked
unconscious for 10D minutes. The character can't do
anything until healed. An incapacitated character who
is wounded or incapacitated again becomes mortally
wounded.

If they hit them for 10 damage then they're knocked out for 10D minutes already. Seems like a superfluous ability to me. Maybe it would be better if you added an additional penalty to opponent's soak rolls, or perhaps blows from a practitioner have a chance to knock someone down even if their attack is parried. Just some suggestions.
HACCP
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Wrrushi Mastery from Hero's Guide (RCR) the user have the option to attempt a killing strike. Using a rough conversion it might read something like this.

Once per day, you may attempt to deal a killing blow to an opponent. You declare your intention to deal a killing blow, and then make the Wruushi brawling roll. If you strike successfully and the target takes at least a Wounded result from the blow, the target must make a Strength roll against the damage dealt or die.

Mind you that this is the third and final mastery level of this particular martial art. Level one and two deals with mechanics trying to knock an opponent unconscious. An alternative could be to let an opponent roll a Moderate Strength roll to avoid being knocked unconscious, regardless of the level of damage. Or perhaps letting a Wrruushi martial artist deal a Stunned result on top of whatever damage already dealt. A 0-3 damage result would mean double stun. A couple of 2-3 punches and you're out flat.

Your thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: