The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Roles on a warship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Roles on a warship Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Roles on a warship Reply with quote

I'm trying to put together a detailed breakdown of a crew complement for a ship, and was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge in this area. Obviously there are large differences between the capital starships used in Star Wars as opposed to our modern-day or even historic warships, but many of the jobs still apply. Here's what I've got so far. Obviously, some of these roles are filled by more than one person, and in Star Wars, some roles will be at least partially filled by droids. Anyone have any more to add? On the list, I have included "systems operators"...what sort of systems would one operate aboard a capital ship? I know that there are things to be done, but I have limited knowledge as to the inner workings of a warship, be it sea- or space-bound.

Command Crew
Commanding Officer (CO)
Executive Officer (XO)
Tactical Officer (TO)

Bridge Crew
Helm (pilot)
Navigation
Sensors
Shields
Communications
Gunnery Control
Engineering

Other Roles
Systems operators (?)
Gunners
Chief of Engineering
Ship's mechanics/techs
Flight deck supervisor
Flight mechanics/techs (for fighters/shuttles)
Droid technicians
Starfighter pilots
Shuttle crews
Master-at-arms (head of shipboard security)
Shipboard security/marines
Regular troop complement
Paymaster/Treasurer
Ship's Clerk (equipment and provisions)
Armorer
Medical Staff
Cooks
Custodial staff
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some notes:

Command Crew
On large/important vessels, there would probably be three watch officers to command the bridge in addition to the Captain, (one would be the XO, and then a second and third officer), leaving the captain to see to other duties as he saw fit. On less important vessels, a 'third officer' would not be necessary.

On Imperial vessels, there would probably also be a political officer (COMPNOR) to keep everything on board in line with the dictates of the New Order, and to advise the captain about the political consequences of certain actions.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the CAG!

(commander, aerospace group)

Complete Starship Construction System
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On strategic craft half the crew compliment is redundant too. The full crew listing is for sustained operations. Half the crew is required to operate the vessel without penalty, there is a red and a blue crew (in europe a port and starboard crew), they do shifts so modern warships are never at any time operating at any less than full capability during wartime.

Also somewhere or other RAW says roughly a third of most capital ship crew compliments again, are in droids.

So actual crew to run a cruiser is always half the compliment listing, all the gunners and about a third more in droids than is listed.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Don't forget the CAG!

(commander, aerospace group)

I wouldn't dream of it. Wink I just kind of lumped him in with the starfighter pilots, partly because it's not a separate command position (at least not in Star Wars militaries) like the CO/XO/TO/Master-at-arms are. That and the fact that the ship I'm working on figuring things out for is a Marauder-class corvette, which only carries one squadron, so the CAG is really just a squadron leader.

vanir wrote:
On strategic craft half the crew compliment is redundant too. The full crew listing is for sustained operations. Half the crew is required to operate the vessel without penalty, there is a red and a blue crew (in europe a port and starboard crew), they do shifts so modern warships are never at any time operating at any less than full capability during wartime.

Also somewhere or other RAW says roughly a third of most capital ship crew compliments again, are in droids.

So actual crew to run a cruiser is always half the compliment listing, all the gunners and about a third more in droids than is listed.

In figuring crew complement numbers/duties, I have been taking into account the different watches, although I was using the "crew" number listed in WEG's stats to mean organics only, with droids being left out of the tally. Could you cite the source that includes droids in the listed "crew" stat?
Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't one for WEG and the only ruling I've seen from WOTC that is close is for Slave circuitry replacing 1/3 of crew.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you have it is what I was saying, crew listing only organics, but that actual crew including droids is significantly higher on large cruisers.

I use a shipboard crew condition for guidelines on operating procedures too. For cruisers, normal patrols are at skeleton crew while general quarters brings up to full crew and battle stations man the guns too.
This reflects a more realistic kind of idea of shipboard life imho and seems fair, cruisers are big and powerful, but take time to suddenly get into full action stations.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
The way you have it is what I was saying, crew listing only organics, but that actual crew including droids is significantly higher on large cruisers.

I use a shipboard crew condition for guidelines on operating procedures too. For cruisers, normal patrols are at skeleton crew while general quarters brings up to full crew and battle stations man the guns too.
This reflects a more realistic kind of idea of shipboard life imho and seems fair, cruisers are big and powerful, but take time to suddenly get into full action stations.

Rereading your previous post, I realize that we are on the same page, as you say. The way I have it calculated out mirrors your last post, as well.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does help make things like starfighter hit and run tactics very effective against large Imperial warships. If they aren't expecting an attack, you can dump a bunch of proton torpedos all over them whilst they're still operating at skeleton crew penalities on shields, point defence guns, etc.

But also the reason the Rebellion fought on the run. In fleet combat against prepared cruisers, starfighters can't really hurt them much.

Rather than making new rules for starfighters to have better effect against cruisers (which is effectively what R&E achieved over 2e and why I don't like it), it is much smarter to have expanded rules for cruisers which have weakness starfighters can conditionally exploit. That's much more realistic imho.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd rather see rules for starfighter squadrons being treated as complete units in capital ship combat (i.e. rather than rolling for individual starfighters, I'd like to see a single stat write-up for the entire unit, with specific ratings for the kind of mission to which the squadron is assigned).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I don't like to treat things that way, but I can certainly see the benefit of reducing the amount of rolling by a 12:1 ratio!

Complete Starship Construction System
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on that. I've thought on it some, but don't quite know how to handle the defensive side...
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean, we ran an expanded Endor fleet battle over a long weekend once, and only really had an application of combined actions rules to work with although we tried to adapt them as best we could.
It was pretty tricky finding the compromise between "realistic" combat results, and spending too much time rolling dice every round in what amounted to a battle lasting a few hours game time (four days realtime).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I'm with you on that. I've thought on it some, but don't quite know how to handle the defensive side...

Could you elaborate? I have had some thoughts on the subject, but I'd like to hear more of your thoughts before I dive in with an answer that may or may not be on topic.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Could you elaborate? I have had some thoughts on the subject, but I'd like to hear more of your thoughts before I dive in with an answer that may or may not be on topic.

The defensive side as in how do you combine the squadron for to hit, damage, and effects of damage?

If you combine a squadron of 12 it gives you a what, +3d bonus (a guess). So when an enemy capital ship fires and hits your squadron, do you roll hull + 3d combined action bonus to soak? If so, what does the damage mean?

Am I asking too many questions? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: