The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reaction Skills/Lightsabre C/Keepinng up Powers House Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Reaction Skills/Lightsabre C/Keepinng up Powers House Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reaction Skills/Lightsabre C/Keepinng up Powers House Rules Reply with quote

I'd like some feedback on whether these house rules would work - not necessarily whether anyone likes them for their own game!

Combat: declare how many actions you want to take in a round. You don't have to say what they are but reaction skills can only come out of these.

Lightsabre Combat Force Power: still takes an action to roll each sense and control. However, parrying blaster bolts and controlling them back doesn't cost more MAP except for the first for the parry - treat as reaction skill and lasts the round. The control aspect might be at a higher difficulty for everyone after the first but doesn't cost further MAP.

Keeping a Force Power up: doesn't lead to MAP for other actions, instead you are allowed to keep up as many powers as you have dice in Force Skills. - i.e jedi has Sense 3D, Control 2D and Alter 0. She wishes to activate Lightsabre Combat it is a power you can keep up. She now can keep 2 more sense powers and 1 more control powers (if she has ones that can be kept up).

Rationale for house rules:

1) I'm not a fan of the way Reaction Skills work - to me it makes little sense (and there are many threads discussing/arguing it so I'll leave further discussion of it).

2) with the way Reaction Skills work RAW then the MAP is quite crippling with Lightsabre combat, but using my own "fix" (which solves most reaction skills for my game elsewhere) it cripples starting jedi characters, even moderately powerful ones.

3) counting the concentration of keeping up a power, especially one that RAW would cost -2D to use in one round (I think, although the -1D for keeping it up might be applied after it's been put up, i.e -1D to activate lightsabre combat in the first round [plus any MAP for extra actions this round] but -1D for keeping the power up only applies at the start of the next round), but even if this is not true it is still yet another MAP which is painful for starting jedi but crippling once again if I'm using my reaction skill fix.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
Combat: declare how many actions you want to take in a round. You don't have to say what they are but reaction skills can only come out of these.

I like this, and have used a similar one in my own games from time to time. In that you can still declare reactionary dodges/parries etc, but you get penalized a further -1D PER. So if you called 2 actions (move and shoot), but during you get attacked by a ranged shot and by someone in melee so you do a reactionary dodge and parry, the dodge is at -3d (for being third action and the additional -1d penalty) while the parry is at -5d (for being the fourth action and a 2nd reactionary penalty of -2d).. Not many like it as it penalizes you unlike the RAW which lets you effectively only do offense and wait till your attacked so you can get proper reactionary rolls, but i like it. As it forces you to plan your parries/dodges into your round of actions.

Cowboy Hat wrote:
Lightsabre Combat Force Power: still takes an action to roll each sense and control. However, parrying blaster bolts and controlling them back doesn't cost more MAP except for the first for the parry - treat as reaction skill and lasts the round. The control aspect might be at a higher difficulty for everyone after the first but doesn't cost further MAP.

So i can reflect any number of blaster bolts all for only 1 "action"?

Cowboy Hat wrote:
Keeping a Force Power up: doesn't lead to MAP for other actions, instead you are allowed to keep up as many powers as you have dice in Force Skills. - i.e jedi has Sense 3D, Control 2D and Alter 0. She wishes to activate Lightsabre Combat it is a power you can keep up. She now can keep 2 more sense powers and 1 more control powers (if she has ones that can be kept up).

This will favor the higher dice pool jedi (or sith)..

[quote="Cowboy Hat"]
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep on both a counts, but as said, if I use my house rules for actions you are likely to be penalized more for multiple actions in the long run.

mainly I'm trying to find a way for my starting (+95 CP) force user characters in my mini game to not feel overly penalised/useless.

I am very much open to suggestions though! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: