The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

RoE Optional Damage Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> RoE Optional Damage Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
In starship fights, I have used the 2:1 ratio fom the 1E Rules Upgrade, and I suspect that might be a better arragementt in the long run.
Yeah. That's what I lean towards. The added damage can get quite extreme so I'd like the risks of adding the damage to be a bit higher.

And increased damage option does mean even a Wookiee might want to think twice about Lando Calrissian threatening him with a holdout blaster at point blank range. Twisted Evil
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
In starship fights, I have used the 2:1 ratio fom the 1E Rules Upgrade, and I suspect that might be a better arragementt in the long run.
Yeah. That's what I lean towards. The added damage can get quite extreme so I'd like the risks of adding the damage to be a bit higher.

Probably, but I7ve yet to see it in play. Most of the characters in my campaign have 5-6D, and don't want to give up too many dice. Extreme damage against mooks isn't a big deal, and the "name" villains can put up a decent defense, and that limits the trade off.

Where it can get really brustal is during a surprise round. A sniper could sell off a couple of dice and still; have an easy shot.

So, 1:1 has worked fine so far.

Quote:

And increased damage option does mean even a Wookiee might want to think twice about Lando Calrissian threatening him with a holdout blaster at point blank range. Twisted Evil

Not to mention Jango vs. the Reek. With the trade off option, Jango could sell off 8D, take his time and fire off a 2D shot at point blank range, and actually be able todrop the thing with one shot.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question.

Could someone explain the 2:1 ratio to me? Is it, I give 1D of skill dice to damage and it only increases it +1 or +2 pip?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
Quick question.

Could someone explain the 2:1 ratio to me? Is it, I give 1D of skill dice to damage and it only increases it +1 or +2 pip?

Sure. It means +1D damager per 2D skill.
The trading skill die option in RoE uses full dice.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Example..

Shadlla the sniper is taking a shot at wirir the wookie rebel. She knows the wookie is tough and her 4d damage base rifle might not do much if she hits.
BUT she is a crack shot 9d+2d sniper skill) and is using a bipod (+1d) and taking aim (+1d) with using a sniper scope (+1d+2).

Since she is sniping, it is a sure thing she will get surprise, so she is not worried the wookie is going to dodge.

So her total is 9d+2 +1d +1d +1d+2 = 12+4 (rounded to 13d+1).

Since she is going to do a medium range shot (moderate difficulty, 13 target number), she figures she will need an average of 4d+1 to hit (3.5 x 4 = 14 +1 for 15).
So she can safely take 8d of her 13d+1 to give an additional +4d to damage.
This leaves her with 5d+1 to hit and if she succeeds, the wookie must soak 4d+4d = 8D damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Not to mention Jango vs. the Reek. With the trade off option, Jango could sell off 8D, take his time and fire off a 2D shot at point blank range, and actually be able todrop the thing with one shot.
Yes. Although from a dramatic/cinematic standpoint rather than a single pistol shot, I'd rather the kill shot appears as a hail of blaster bolts that finally drops the Reek.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
Yes. Although from a dramatic/cinematic standpoint rather than a single pistol shot, I'd rather the kill shot appears as a hail of blaster bolts that finally drops the Reek.
A perfect place for my rule that shooting multiple times at one target only costs 1 pip per shot in MAPs.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the opposite.. to me the single precision shot was very cinematic.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it depends on the target. If you're killing a rancor I can see a whole bunch of shots. I doubt one to the eye would bring it down.

In other circumstances, one shot is definitely where it's at.

Complete Starship Construction System
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a point however where even a kill shot simply isn't enough to bring down large and determined enemies for a given weapon.

The British, in the late 19th century equipped their officers with new, high powered cartridge ammunition sidearms like the Webley .38 at the time considered a powerful round (a .45 would be considered more suited to a cavalry carbine back then). Typical sidearms ran to about .32 calibre, a typical civilian handgun would be a .25 pepperbox or .32 derringer

So they went to africa and had a problem with the zulu and other tribes. What they found was that forts were overrun by mass charges, and officers regularly engaged close combat, and the problem was despite shooting accurately and mortally, the standard British sidearm was not capable of stopping a charging tribesman in his tracks. Officers were hacked to pieces by combatants they had mortally wounded with heartshots and such with their Webleys.

A new philosophy regarding stopping power versus shooting accuracy or lethal range was decided and the .455 Webley was produced specifically for officers sidearms in overseas deployments.
It wasn't as accurate as the .38, less likely to go where you point it, but if you hit, whatever you hit is down, every time.

This is a case of simply requiring a weapon that does more damage when facing tougher opponents.
This leaves me in a hesitant position about damage capabilities of a given weapon to overcome an enemy's ability to continue the fight, being limited only by Player choice and skill die. There's a point where too much skill is only more likely to get you killed, because you might be too complacent to run when you should've. That was the British lesson.

Sometimes you plain need a bigger gun. I like that thought in game.
Really not sure about these RoE, I'm thinking a more conservative system would be better.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
To me it depends on the target. If you're killing a rancor I can see a whole bunch of shots. I doubt one to the eye would bring it down.

In other circumstances, one shot is definitely where it's at.
I'm not actually advocating a difference in the mechanics (except for using more shots) of the ROE, just of the description. Shooting a man-size target and killing it with a single shot - could be cinematic. Shooting a huge creature like a Reek or Rancor and killing it with a single shot from a 4D blaster pistol just feels anti-climactic to me and maybe even a bit comedic. Same with shooting down a TIE fighter with a single shot from a blaster pistol. It just seems lame.

Note this might seem different if, instead of a blaster pistol, the shooter has some big honking Star Wars version of an elephant gun like the Exotac Arms Predator. Then one shot makes sense.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both one shot and multi shot kills for cinematic reasons. But I'd limit the one shot variety to the size of creature Jango killed (a Reek, IIRC), but not any larger.

I've always held that one blaster dice roll = one attack, while most folks seem to think that one blaster dice roll = one shot. Attack to me can be one or more shots, depending on the situation (weapon, enemy, shooter, etc). That way the game stays cinematic and exciting.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
The British, in the late 19th century equipped their officers with new, high powered cartridge ammunition sidearms like the Webley .38 at the time considered a powerful round (a .45 would be considered more suited to a cavalry carbine back then). Typical sidearms ran to about .32 calibre, a typical civilian handgun would be a .25 pepperbox or .32 derringer
I don't think this is quite correct.

Anecdotally there are stories about Military forces around the turn of the century wanting revolvers and pistols in the .45 caliber range. That is one explanation, based on fighting in the Philippines for the adoption by the US of the Colt M1911 .45 semi-automatic. However, small and medium caliber revolvers were not the standard for military sidearms. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique_gun

In America guns in calibers larger than .32 were quite common
    Colt Navy 1851 .36 caliber
    Colt Army 1860 .44 caliber
    Colt Peacemaker M1873 .45 caliber
    Remington Model 1858 .36-(Navy) or .44-(Army) caliber
Even in Britain prior to the Webley we see the
    Beaumont-Adams Revolver 1856 .442 caliber
which was replaced in British service in 1880 by the
    Enfield Mk I revolver .476 caliber
The Webley replaced the Enfield Mk I not due to the caliber, but due to other issues with the weapon. For more on the Webley see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley_Revolver
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to keep it simple Bren. I've a tendency to do novel sized posts as it is.
And at the end of extrapolating a back and forth, to save us a few pages on this, we will arrive back at what I said, in the context it was intended, but that is was indeed very loosely related. Because whole books are written by people having these kind of arguments by correspondance.
And there are more than one school of thought on military history, any kind of history, politics always gets involved at some point.

kind of like where we jumped to handguns in america.
The .44 colt army was originally a cavalry weapon by the way, but they followed it with a short barrelled version the next year or thereabouts for infantry officers.
The Peacemaker was actually designed by Sam Colt specifically to be compatable with carbine ammunition (.44/40 Winchester lever action), so that you only needed to carry one type of ammunition on your horse out in the middle of the Nevada desert on your own.
They offered the new .45 colt cartridge alongside probably because they hoped carbine makers would start chambering for that round, and make them even more money. Just good business sense, worst case scenario they had a good handgun with their own cartridge as well as one that cattle rustlers could use.

A better challenging argument might've been the WW1 Stormtroopers Hindenburg and his buddies invented. They were deadly in 1917 and greatly feared, cleaned out whole trenches in minutes. Using...wait for it, little 7.65mm carbines. Actually, in those Mausers that Han Solo uses (they call the rounds 7.63mm but that's barrel diameter not round size). The holster is wood and when the gun is in use it's supposed to be attached to the handle, to make a short carbine.

The cartridge on those little bullets though is so fricken big, it's got the muzzle velocity of a modern .357 SIG (a ridiculously powerful german auto round in the magnum class), and the projectile energy with that tiny 90gr baby, get this, of a .38-Super round at point blank. Its ability to penetrate hard armour is about the same as a .38-Special.

Not bad for a little bullet no bigger than a .32
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I'm the opposite.. to me the single precision shot was very cinematic.

Me too.A single shot kill is a sign of skill.

I am reminded of Quatermain's line in the League of Extraordinaty Gentlemen about American shooting.

Fallon Kell wrote:
A perfect place for my rule that shooting multiple times at one target only costs 1 pip per shot in MAPs.

Quite the opposite. The film clearly indicates that fring a hail of shots was not the way to go, but instead that one well placed shot was worth more that a hail of fire. Heck, with the way the RAW sequences things, Jango would have been attacked after his first shot, so he had to make it count..

Fallon Kell wrote:

Well, realistically it is usually one shot that damages something vital that drops something (or someone) quickly- not the total effect. The hit point"
way of looking at things is entirely wrong. You are far more likely to survive an encounter against a large animal by placing a shot into its eye (and ususally its brain), or other vital spot than by peppering it, You might inflict potentially lethal injury with multiple hits, but it probably doesn't do you much good if the beast tears tou apart before it drops from blood loss. That's why people don't hunt big game animals with sumachineguns or shotguns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: