The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Send unto me endless tables of modification quirks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Send unto me endless tables of modification quirks!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
southpaw
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Send unto me endless tables of modification quirks! Reply with quote

Basically yeah, as the title says. My players are using every opportunity to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade, and I want some decent tables that list a few random quirks and side-effects. I'm 110% certain that I'm not the first to make such a table, so I figure why not tap the collective genius and malevolence that resides in all the GMs that have gone before me Smile

Ships mods, plus blaster and armor mods would be most excellent.

Thanks in advance!

Bewdy

SP.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had one for blasters - I'll look through the old notes tonight and post em when I get the chance.

I was basically a 2D table with 12 quirks. May have been more.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters has tables for mishaps.

I usually just wing it for quirks. I figure any ship I give my players will have a couple of quirks. Those quirks will manifest themselves at random and require a Heroic repair roll to fix (They cant be identified or fixed until they have manifested themselves.) Some quirks only manifest themselves when something happens (Life Support drops any time the shields are turned on) or in other cases you roll a D6 or 2D6 to see if the problem comes up. Sublight drives might not activate, hyperdrive takes 3X as long to get you where you are going, etc.

Sometimes something that seems like a good thing might turn out to be bad. (Example: Ship gets Space: +1, but I roll 2D6. On anything under a 4, the sublight engines burn out and need major repairs.) Other times, the problem wont manifest itself until later. (Example: Activating those new Shields causes a power surge that either disables one of the ship's guns, or leaves all weapons at a -2D to hit.)
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted a list of interesting quirks for old ships on these forums. It was around a year ago I guess. I searched for it but couldnt find it.
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galladinium's Fantastic Technology has some nice rules for jury-rigging, which gives you a bonus of 1-3 dice, but at the risk of big failures with a 1 on the joker- or bonusdice.
It's pretty funny. It can save or doom the whole party Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought each dice you gain from Jury rigging also was considered a wild die, but only for the 1 side.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Garhkal.
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I mixed up joker and wild die, which happened due to my translation - they are the same Wink
But actually after rereading the paragraphs in Galladinium, the bonus dice aren't treated as a wild die on a 1. A 1 on the bonus dice only means a roll on the failure table. A 1 on the wild die means a roll on the failure table and the 'normal wild die 1'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: