The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

clone pilot armor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> clone pilot armor? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was probably going to cap both at +1D. What is the RAW for armor vs. crash damage? If there is no distinction between physical damage and impact damage, then there may not need to be a separate rule at all.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding, unless the craft explodes, the occupants of the crashing vehicle, take physical damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
It's my understanding, unless the craft explodes, the occupants of the crashing vehicle, take physical damage.

So perhaps +1D vs. physical and energy (with the enhanced energy bonus resulting from whatever fire retardant materials are installed in the suit)?

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!

You could even say that the armor is specifically designed to keep the wearer protected from "standard ship related fires." Avoids a damage roll if the ship catches fire, but doesn't avoid anything if he say gets blasted by a flamethrower.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that; fire is still fire, after all. And heat is a component of blaster energy, so I would probably just give it a straight +1D against all forms of damage...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, on that note, if I were to do stats for clone pilot armor, it would probably look something like this:

CLONE PILOT ARMOR
Scale: Character
Cost: Not Available For Sale (Black Market prices only)
Availability: 3, X
Game Notes:
Armor Protection: +1D physical and energy, -1 Dexterity and Mechanical
Comlink: Tongue activated, or by joystick switch when interfaced with vehicle.
Sealed Body Glove: Climate-controlled body glove and breath mask allows operation in uncomfortably cold or warm climates and toxic-air environments.
Vacuum Suit: 10 hour air supply, and the character must make a Moderate Stamina check for every hour in vacuum or suffer a wound.
Scomp-Link HUD Visor: +2D to all Mechanical rolls if the ship is equipped with the appropriate connection system.
Utility Belt: High tension wire, grappling hooks, spare blaster power packs, ion flares, concentrated rations, spare comlink, water packs, 2 medpacs, camo-tent, water purifier.

Note: Two systems that I considered adding but decided to leave up to GM's discretion are the MFTAS system from stormtrooper armor, and an integrated parasail (both systems would increase pilot survivability in the event of a crash or a shootdown).

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Model: Standard Imperial Flight Suit
Type: Armored military flight suit
Scale: Character
Cost: Not available for sale
Availability: 3, X
Game Notes:
Flight Suit: Provides +2 to Strength to resist damage and additional protection against vacuum for limited periods. It grants a +1D+1 bonus to
stamina to resist cold temperatures.
Helmet: Contains an internal comlink and navigation computer linkup (+1D to sensors).
Utility Belt: Ion flares, one week concentrated rations, spare comlink, water packs, 1 medpac.
Source: The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (page 52), d20 Core
Rulebook (page 138)

Just wanted to post the TIE fighter armor for comparison.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are house rules, but have foundation in LA/LF material.

There are several points IMHO about TIE which the Imperial suit compensates, which are taken for granted.

TIE are extremely stripped down starfighters, they lack most safety equipment mandatory for starfighters and most accommodations mandatory for any starship.
The command pod climate control functions are limited.
Sensors lock (successful detect) is required to get fire control with weapons onto a target. Generally it's a good idea to IFF (sensors identify) while you're at it but sometimes you don't need to.
Communications are broadband (not subspace) with few channels and are jammed easily.
Inertial dampening is run from the solar cells, which substitute the cryogenic fuel cells in regular starfighters. Thus the feature is very limited (this is the limiting factor on TIE manoeuvrability, no better than a Y-Wing because a Y-Wing has powerful inertial dampeners...but is structurally limited instead. TIE are limited by power to the dampeners).

In addition to its listed features, TIE pilot suits compensate for all the aforementioned things.
It is designed to function normally with its environmental features active. In regular starfighters this would only be used as an emergency backup, regular starfighters have full environmental control for the cabin.
It is designed to function normally in high G conditions, compensating for poor inertial dampening on the standard TIE.
The navigational interface is effectively a HUD inside the helmet. If using the advanced combat system of sensor lock for fire control, it helps the pilot in combat because often he is required to MAP sensors/piloting/shooting in the opening round, then the fire control lock is maintained until the enemy a/c gets out of your sensors range.

ie. most of the benefits and survival necessities, and very unique and important features of TIE suits are all in the roleplaying. But in our game I ascribe mechanics and rolls to them.

This way different kinds of pilot suits, and in some cases starship-specific pilot suits become extremely important, and so do their features.

You get some really good RP if you have career starfighter pilots as Players, they eat this stuff up.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have meant this:
vanir wrote:
You get some really good RP if you have career (aircraft) fighter pilots as Players, they eat this stuff up.

Or else maybe this:
vanir wrote:
You get some really good RP if you have career starfighter pilot PCs, as they eat this stuff up.

Either that or you have way more interesting players than I do. Wink
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked omg freudian slip THEY'VE FOUND US!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I think you may have meant this:
vanir wrote:
You get some really good RP if you have career (aircraft) fighter pilots as Players, they eat this stuff up.

Or else maybe this:
vanir wrote:
You get some really good RP if you have career starfighter pilot PCs, as they eat this stuff up.

Either that or you have way more interesting players than I do. Wink

Lockheed F-104 Starfighter Laughing

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: