The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

clone pilot armor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> clone pilot armor? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: clone pilot armor? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I could find a conversion of the clone pilot armor?

I don't know if it would really be any different that standard clone armor - but it isn't included in the copy gry's stats book that I have.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always just used the same stats for the pilots as I do for the regular Clones. We figure that the differences in the armor are just cosmetic and acts as a way to help distinguish one type of Clone trooper from another.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading somewhere that the original clone pilot armor was essentially the same as the clone trooper armor, as there hadn't been enough time to design armor specifically for the pilots. As a result, the armor obstructed the pilot's movements somewhat, making his piloting more difficult (On-the-spot house rule: Mech penalty equal to the armor's Dex penalty). It was only later, as the war progressed, that pilot-specific armor was produced.

If I were to make stats for pilot-specific clone armor, I would probably base it on scout armor (lighter with less protection, but with correspondingly lower Dex / Mech penalty). I'd probably also incorporate some sort of HUD system into the helmet, and probably some sort of increased protection against vehicular damage...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Scout armor would seem to be the way to go for customized pilot armor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what would be some good tech to augment pilot armor against vehicle damage? The suit would probably need to be a vacuum suit of some kind, with self-sealing capabilities in case of leaks, but what would be some other ideas?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about a sensor suit hook up.. So his MFAS also gets a Hud like grid. Better fire control.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the TIE pilot armor
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good ideas, but I was thinking more along the lines of ways to protect pilots from crash damage. Maybe things like a built-in emergency acceleration compensator or something...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
All good ideas, but I was thinking more along the lines of ways to protect pilots from crash damage. Maybe things like a built-in emergency acceleration compensator or something...
I don't think personal armor would help much if the ship itself get's toasted. The TIE pilot does have a high-G suit which would provide some acceleration compensation, though nothing like what the ship itself provides.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I don't think personal armor would help much if the ship itself get's toasted. The TIE pilot does have a high-G suit which would provide some acceleration compensation, though nothing like what the ship itself provides.

There's some truth to that. After all, a suit of personal armor isn't going to be much use against explosion of a Star Destroyer's main reactor if you happen to be standing right next to it. I was thinking more along the lines of more common damage, like a cockpit fire or something. Race car drivers wear flame retardant suits not because the suit will save them from a fire, but because it may provide the precious few seconds the wearer needs to get to safety. The personal acceleration compensator idea was mostly just a random thought to see if anyone had something similar that I hadn't considered.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race cars are heavily engineered to keep the driver safe (roll bars, cages, etc.). I assume the hull strength of military vessels includes stuff like that. But flame retardent, G-suits seem very reasonable. I figure the bulky orange Rebel pilot suit and the somewhat more svelte TIE suit include those things.

You probably need more nuanced damage that what the vehicle rules provide. IIR correctly vehicle damage rules to pilot/passenger shift from minor to catastrophic quite quickly.

Are you looking for more than say 1D of protection from damage?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash damage would initially result in physical damage, so just give it +2D physical soak for the torso and head, 1D for the arms and legs, since it would most likely be specifically designed to protect the most important parts of them.

Also, you could give it a piloting bonus that is slightly less than scout trooper armor:

Quote:
Sensor Pack: Enables user to make passive sensor scans (no bonus); in forward focus the scanner patches into the rider’s viewplate to provide navigation aid (+2D to repulsorlift operation)

Instead of limiting it to repulsorlift operation, make it any piloting at +2 pips or +1D at most.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Race cars are heavily engineered to keep the driver safe (roll bars, cages, etc.). I assume the hull strength of military vessels includes stuff like that. But flame retardent, G-suits seem very reasonable. I figure the bulky orange Rebel pilot suit and the somewhat more svelte TIE suit include those things.

You probably need more nuanced damage that what the vehicle rules provide. IIR correctly vehicle damage rules to pilot/passenger shift from minor to catastrophic quite quickly.

Are you looking for more than say 1D of protection from damage?

It was more just a vague idea than anything else, in that I was thinking the suits would be designed to protect the wearer from damage specific to their circumstances. While clone troopers would be more likely to need protection from blaster-fire and such, clone pilots would need improved interface capability with their vehicle, as well as the ability to resist the kinds of damage one might encounter in the cockpit of said vehicle. What form that might take, I have no idea, but certainly no more than 1D-2D of bonus...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Crash damage would initially result in physical damage, so just give it +2D physical soak for the torso and head, 1D for the arms and legs, since it would most likely be specifically designed to protect the most important parts of them.

Hmmm. Might just be easier to give a flat bonus regardless of body part involved...

Quote:
Also, you could give it a piloting bonus that is slightly less than scout trooper armor:

Quote:
Sensor Pack: Enables user to make passive sensor scans (no bonus); in forward focus the scanner patches into the rider’s viewplate to provide navigation aid (+2D to repulsorlift operation)

Instead of limiting it to repulsorlift operation, make it any piloting at +2 pips or +1D at most.

I was actually going to go with a straight bonus to all Mechanical skills, with the proviso that they had to be capable of interfacing with the helmet (no bonus to Beast Riding, or anything like that).

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was actually going to go with a straight bonus to all Mechanical skills, with the proviso that they had to be capable of interfacing with the helmet (no bonus to Beast Riding, or anything like that).

Just don't forget to make it less than 2D, tech shouldn't be better in the past than it is in the future. In a perfect setting of course. (Tries to forget R2's magic rockets that he somehow lost in later episodes.)

Quote:
Hmmm. Might just be easier to give a flat bonus regardless of body part involved...

My suggestion would be +1D or less, making it more in line with the scout trooper's armor. The grand army didn't seem to care so much about their clones getting killed. Most seemed to barely treat them a step above droids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: