The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG Minis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> WEG Minis Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: WEG Minis Reply with quote

EDIT: Thought I was posting this in the Ships & Equipment thread. Still
wasn't sure it'd go there either.

Didn't know where to put this really.

But I'm kinda late to this game, but has anyone been able to get their hands on these things? Ever use them in games?

As we are strict role-players in my group, we are finding combat... A little long and dry. So I want to covert it to just rolling dice, moving figures, and the such. Like a table-top battle akin to Lord of the Rings SBG, Warhammer, etc.

All still using the D6 system though. Does anyone know any vendor that still might sell these minis?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 12 minis from the old Mos Eisley Adventure set that I might be willing to part with for the right price. They are still in their original packages. The best place to look is probably ebay. Search "Star Wars WEG minitures" Also, the things are EXPENSIVE! ($10-30 for blisters of 3 minis. $70-80 for boxes of 10 minis.)

A better solution would be to look into the Star Wars miniatures from WotC. They are pre-painted, easier to find, and only a fraction of the cost. Check out Miniatures Market or similar sites to buy singles if you dont want to buy them by the booster.

Hope that helps!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: WEG Minis Reply with quote

Azai wrote:

Didn't know where to put this really.
I would have gone with Tools or Gamemasters, but it's not a huge deal.

My old GM used paper cutouts fairly often, they work okay if you're not made of money.

Complete Starship Construction System
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true! Paper miniatures are a nice cheap way of approaching the problem. Some of the old Star Wars WEG suppliments have paper miniatures in them. Just make sure not to cut up the sheets! Scan, print, then cut out the copies!

The only one that comes to mind right now is:
Introductory Box Set: Includes 4 sheets of paper miniatures.

Also, sites like DrivethruRPG have paper miniatures for download. If you search for "Paper Miniatures" then search by "Download Price" you will see several sets for free download.

If you have a little talent and an art program, it shouldnt be very hard to make your own too.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found that I was looking for.

You can download a nice assortment of paper Star Wars miniatures here:
http://www.momirfarooq.com/swcharacter/swcharacter2d.htm

Hope it helps!

Edit:

Here are a couple more:
http://www.hishgraphics.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=770
http://www.hishgraphics.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=777
http://www.hishgraphics.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=768
http://www.hishgraphics.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=767
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use miniatures when we play in-person, as opposed to Skype. I've accumulated quite a few Star Wars and other Sci-Fi miniatures over the years. We even have a few customized ones to suit specific characters.

Personally I like using miniatures. They help us see the action and they just plain look cool.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can't thank you guys enough.

These resources are amazing!

I am with you Bren, I've always enjoyed minis. I did the LOTR SBG for a while. Well honestly I never really used them as much as I painted them, and played with the one friend who gave most of them too me. (Wouldn't really pay GW prices)

You are right Guardian_A, those prices on ebay are ridiculous. Or well, just not something I'm gonna pay. I think paper minis for now is where I'd have to go.

I did check out the WotC, but honestly... They looked horrible to me. I bought a pack of a few "nova troopers" and a couple Jedi... And just the sculptor of the mins was horrible... Maybe I'm just a minis snoob ;P.

Again, can't thank yous a lot for the Links Guardians, and the resources. in general. This is really gonna help and make battle a lot more enjoyable. Even make it easier to do the large scale battles.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While some of the Wotc mini's look bad, the rest are imo better than the WEG minis.. and a lot cheaper.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While some of the Wotc mini's look bad, the rest are imo better than the WEG minis.. and a lot cheaper.
But 34mm is the wrong scale to match the hundreds of other miniatures I already own. Mad Not matching the common scale is almost as annoying removing the lead from the minatures. Like I'd let anyone's kid chew on my hand painted figures. Grumble...grumble...grumble.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was another bone I had to pick. Making them bigger but many were less detailed then smaller models.

Though but I think that is what irked me too garhkal. Some of them were great, they looked really good. But then others, especially when it came to faces, were just horrible
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could be of service!

You'll have to let us know how things go with the new miniatures.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After talking about it with my significant other, essentially we are gonna do this.

For our characters, and player characters we are gonna find WotC minis. We will mostly look for the modeling or race of the mini, and then paint it to our desire.

For Npcs and all the rest it will be the paper cut outs. This also goes for vehicles and the such.

For now I am gonna go with the Hisghgrahpics, as they are as colored so it would kill me with ink Wink. Though I am interested on how to print some of the 3-d models on cardboard that momir made. And wanting to put those right into action.

I will let ya know how it goes.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save a little ink. Go into your printer's settings. Change the setting to low quality/fast prints to save a little ink at the cost of a little quality. Then, especially with the vehicles, turn off the color ink and print with all black. Instead of color, you should get shades of grey instead.

Also, you can get by with regular paper for the standups, once you fold them over, they will have enough strength to look pretty good. The vehicles work a lot better with the cardstock though.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
You can download a nice assortment of paper Star Wars miniatures...
That was cool. Thanks Guardian! Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are vehicles to scale with characters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: