The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Star Destroyer Deckplan?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Imperial Star Destroyer Deckplan? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really look at the video games were the main character runs through Imperial capital ships.

Jedi Outcast, Dark Forces. To help assist mapping a deck plan. Maybe using the leviathan from KOTOR as a start?
Bigkrieg
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this site some time about. It does not have star destroyers in it but it could still prove useful. http://deckplans.00sf.com/Main/Galleries.html
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that site! I've been hitting it for years to pick up deck plans for my gaming group. Its a great resource for Starfighters and Space Transports.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best part is, Frank still answers e-mails if you have questions about the deckplans. I picked up the "What Might Have Been" Millennium Falcon deckplans from him that originally appeared on Robert Brown's Ship Of Riddles website. Probably the best YT-1300 deckplans I have ever seen.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with the general consensus but a point got missed, though it was clearly an undercurrent.

Star Destroyers of Imperial size and bigger I run like battlestations or starport cities whenever embarked.

Basically I treat one like a standard class starport that goes roaming around space, complete with limited manufacturing capabilities (in our game they build their own maintenance parts).
Their crew capacity and sheer mass is much more structured like a starport city than a starship. The engineering deck for example is the size and layout of a space station's industrial site, they're just that large and powerful.

Use them like a mobile base station. Wherever you are on one, regard it just like a city neighbourhood area, gives you a very good impression of the vessel's sheer size and scope.

One of the things treating them like this does for Star Destroyers is increase their strategic value beyond their combat capabilities, which is important. It is only half their strength, combat performance and it's valuable to try to bring that into game mechanics wherever possible. As it turns out in SWRPG it is mostly in virtual-visual spectacle.

It's an epic vessel, it has to be played up a lot.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly true, vanir.

An aircraft carrier is a small, nuclear armed town of 5,000 that floats around the world. A Star Destroyer is 5 times as long, and dozens of times wider and taller. It carries about 10 times as many people, and can lay waste to an entire planetary surface. Looking at the ICS cutaway, "decks" mostly only seem to come into play in the superstructure. The cavernous rooms and machinery involved in feeding engines a hundred meters in diameter are probably better treated as landscapes than buildings.

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azai wrote:
I would really look at the video games were the main character runs through Imperial capital ships.

Jedi Outcast, Dark Forces. To help assist mapping a deck plan. Maybe using the leviathan from KOTOR as a start?

I actually mapped out the Imperial TIE Fighter Facility in TFU to have my character arrive shortly after Starkiller with a separate mission involving Kotas militia.

The result didnt really make sense at all. Its more or less a random 'dungeon tunnel' with sci fi stuff added... Quite interesting scenery though..Especially the fight in the dividing chasm between the outer and inner part of the station..

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly my point, that capture could be somewhere in Bespin, on the Death Star or...an Imperial Star Destroyer just makes it into the category of those kind of landscapes.

Regular cruisers and dreadnaughts I'd treat differently, with more shipboard style deckplans, but the Star Destroyers fall into the space station category I reckon.

Like the US supercarriers yes. The Russian one isn't far off spec and has better surface action capabilities but it's still a warship, where an American one is a city. It's a whole different kettle of fish with an air wing roughly five times the capability, despite only a marginal increase in tonnage.
I'd handle a Victory versus Imperial like that comparison, for example.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: