The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New dice roller - this time with emails
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> New dice roller - this time with emails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: New dice roller - this time with emails Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'd just like to make you aware of the new dice roller on the D6 Holocron. (You'll find it under 'Tools' - it will generate a pop-up.)

This one allows you to roll d6s with or without a wild die and pips. It will also let you send emails to yourself and your GM, so it's good for PbP or PbEM.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! Does it also mention wild die failures?

Complete Starship Construction System
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

Yes, it does. The window (but not the email) will report the word 'Mishap' in big letters when the wild die rolls 1. 6s are also exploding. They are reported in red in the window and separately in the email.
darkwing2k6
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a great tool Smile could i make a small suggestion please? could you possibly change a "6" on wild die to green and also its re-rolled number(s)? and if possible could you keep the wild die "1" as red, maybe orange for 2,3,4,5? just my suggestion. thanks for the great dice roller and website Very Happy
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

Yes, it does. The window (but not the email) will report the word 'Mishap' in big letters when the wild die rolls 1. 6s are also exploding. They are reported in red in the window and separately in the email.
Sweet. My thanks to all involved with this project!

Complete Starship Construction System
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwing2k6 wrote:
thats a great tool Smile could i make a small suggestion please? could you possibly change a "6" on wild die to green and also its re-rolled number(s)? and if possible could you keep the wild die "1" as red, maybe orange for 2,3,4,5? just my suggestion. thanks for the great dice roller and website Very Happy
That sounds like a good idea. I'll look into implementing this.

Fallon Kell wrote:
Sweet. My thanks to all involved with this project!
You're very welcome! BSDOblivion does the hosting. I did the coding.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwing2k6 wrote:
Could you possibly change a "6" on wild die to green and also its re-rolled number(s)? and if possible could you keep the wild die "1" as red, maybe orange for 2,3,4,5? just my suggestion. thanks for the great dice roller and website Very Happy

Done!
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a 'why' box added to the dice roller to let the recipient know what the dice roll was intended for.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a time of being away due to technical difficulties, the dice roller is live again.

Also, this is a shameless bump to the topic to remind people that this engine exists.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic... must check this out, it sounds awesome!

Hard core OT, all the way!
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very awesome.

So, totally crazy idea- and I have NO idea what it would take to make this work, so a complete ignorant shot in the dark, but...

What if there was a sort of online character sheet- one emulating the look of a character sheet from the RPG- with all of the fields enter-able; for instance, you could load a picture into the photo area, enter in the name, species, etc. And fill in the skill slots with both skill name and Dice skill- which would then be dynamically linked to the dice roller. For instance, I could go to the first slot under Dexterity and enter 'Blaster' in one field, '5D' in the other... and then, once that is set, go to that character sheet thereafter and just click on 'Blaster' to get a 5D roll result. Sort of an integrated character sheet/dice roller, so that instead of picking a D amount, you can enter in how many dice you have in a skill, then just click on that skill to get a result?

Obviously, this would be a massive project, and need some sort of preset or saveable/loadable fill to enter into the template- maybe even generate off a customizable .exe or the like- in order to be useful, because no one would want to re-enter all their character sheet info every time they go to the site... so, all told, this is probably a MAJOR project and COMPLETELY impractical... but looking at one of the other threads on streamlining combat and saving time, that idea occurred to me in context of this nifty little app.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Smile

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I personally could MAKE such a thing, but there is a Form-Fill type of document that has been used extensively at work. F3 Form Fill, I think. I know nothing about generating them, or editing things such as fonts, etc...but if a good programmer out there is at all familiar with it, that might be a good base to start from.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
What if there was a sort of online character sheet- one emulating the look of a character sheet from the RPG- with all of the fields enter-able; for instance, you could load a picture into the photo area, enter in the name, species, etc. And fill in the skill slots with both skill name and Dice skill- which would then be dynamically linked to the dice roller. For instance, I could go to the first slot under Dexterity and enter 'Blaster' in one field, '5D' in the other... and then, once that is set, go to that character sheet thereafter and just click on 'Blaster' to get a 5D roll result. Sort of an integrated character sheet/dice roller, so that instead of picking a D amount, you can enter in how many dice you have in a skill, then just click on that skill to get a result?

Actually, it's not that crazy at all. That's how I have the character sheets for the players in my online rpg set up. Their character sheets are just that - a web-page with all the stats hyperlinked to the dice-roller. All the player in my game needs to do is to click the stat of the relevant skill and a specialized version of the dice-roller pops up with all the pre-sets filled in. All the player has to do is hit 'roll' to make it official.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo. Smile

Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I do think that it might be possible to design a page that could create a dice-roller clickable character sheet for a host of different characters and templates, all of which would be stored in a database.

If/when (with the strong emphasis on 'if') I have time, that would be something to discuss with BSDOblivion for the D6Holocron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: