The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ideas for Lightsaber Skill?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ideas for Lightsaber Skill? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Ideas for Lightsaber Skill? Reply with quote

I'm toying around with a new campaign idea that would involve a group of Jedi. In the past, my campaigns have often dealt with the Jedi and/or Sith, but Force users have always been the exception rather than the norm. In this case, the campaign will focus on Force users.

Since Lightsaber combat can be so lethal, I want to find a way of toning it down a little without taking away its appeal.

What I am thinking of (And yes, this is mostly a rehash of other people's ideas):

Lightsaber: Adopts Bren's damage rules.
Take attack roll minus target’s parry or defense roll including any modifiers for advantage to compute an Attack Result (AR) where AR = Attack Roll – Defense Roll + Modifiers.
Attack Result.......Effect
0-3....................Forced back. Defender must retreat or attacker gains +1D6 bonus to his next attack.
4-8....................Off balance. Attacker gains +1D6 bonus to his next attack.
9-12..................Glancing blow. Roll damage normally with a maximum result of wounded.
13-15.................Solid blow. Roll damage normally with a maximum result of incapacitated.
16+....................Serious blow. Roll damage normally with any wound result possible.

The next thing I would do is add crmcneill's seven forms (With some adjustments. I have some ideas, but I havent made any of the changes yet.)

Form I - Shii-Cho (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 4D

Form II - Makashi (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 6D
--Brawling 6D
-Advantage:
--Bonus equal to character's Form II skill dice is applied to lightsaber vs. lightsaber or brawling combat

Form III - Soresu (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 5D
--Brawling 5D
--Dodge 5D
-Advantage:
--Bonus equal to character's Form III skill dice is applied to defensive actions with all prerequisite skills.

Form IV - Ataru (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 5D
--Brawling 5D
--Dodge 5D
--Jumping 6D
-Advantage:
--Bonus equal to character's Form IV skill dice is split equally between Lightsaber/Brawling and Dodge/Jumping. In addition, the character does not suffer a MAP when using Lightsaber/Brawling and Dodge/Jumping in the same round.

Form V - Djem So (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 5D
--Strength 3D
--Brawling 5D
-Advantage:
--Bonus equal to character's Form V skill dice is applied to Lightsaber and Brawling when attacking or when parrying blaster bolts back at an attacker.

Form VI - Niman (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 5D
--Brawling 5D
--Persuasion 5D
--Intimidation 5D
-Advantage:
--Bonus equal to character's Form VI skill dice is applied to Persuasion and Intimidation.

Form VII - Juyo (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 6D
--Brawling 6D
--Form II 2D
--Form III 2D
--Form IV 2D
--Form V 2D
--Willpower 7D
-Advantage:
--Bonus equal to the character's Form VII skill is applied to Lightsaber and Brawling in all situations
-Complication:
--Every round of combat with Form VII, the character must make a Willpower check against the character's Form VII roll that round (+5 for each of the character's DSPs). On a failure, the character temporarily gives in to the Dark Side. If he kills or wounds his opponent, he earns a DSP. If he does not, roll again as normal the next round (at +5 difficulty).

The next thing I am looking to do is to allow Specializations (Light Whip, Dual Blade Lightsaber, Dual Weild Lightsaber, etc) to the different Forms.

The last thing I would like to do is to add some form specific maneuvers the same way Rules of Engagement adds hand-to-hand techniques to Martial Arts.

I feel that the end result would be an effective Lightsaber combat that would be easy to learn, but very difficult to master. Much like real swordplay, you could learn the basics quickly, but mastery would only come with a lifetime of hard work.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Am I over thinking this?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I notice you have Form 1 with a prerequisite, but no benefit... is this an error in the post? Or just don't have an idea yet?

As for the "forced back" result, what are the penalties associated with "retreat"? Perhaps the defender can not attack at all on his next turn, or perhaps he suffers a MAP for needing to reposition himself on his turn before attacking?

All in all, I like the idea of small margins of success limiting how much damage could be done. I would like to see this applied to the full spectrum of combat. I think it's a very good idea.

One change I might make, however, would be that on a close roll (for example, the 0-3 result, and it would apply in either direction), both combatants roll strength or dexterity (character's choice) in order to achieve/maintain position. A +1D bonus applies to this roll for the winner of the attack/parry resolution. This way, a character can turn the tables by taking advantage of small mistakes that his opponent makes.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its very much a work in progress. At the moment, its mostly just an idea I'm working with. I figured I'd post what I had to get some thoughts before I put too much work into things.

For Form I: I intend to add some techniques to each form to help distinguish them from the others. In this case, Form I is the simplest and therefore the easiest to start learning.

If I have a little time later this week, maybe I'll write up one form just to give a better example of what I am trying to do.

Thanks for the feedback!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for Lightsaber Skill? Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Form I - Shii-Cho (A)
-Prerequisites:
--Lightsaber 4D

Naaman and I have been going round and round on this on PMs, but I really don't think that Form I meets the criteria to be considered an advanced skill. It is described as the basic form taught to beginning students (i.e. people who have never handled a lightsaber before), showing them the basics of lightsaber combat: how to stand, where to position your blade, etc. Almost all Jedi take the lessons learned in Form I and move on to more advanced study, incorporating the basic techniques as a framework for their new Form. Some masters concentrate exclusively on Form I, but it takes them much longer to bring it to the same level of ability as might be found in Forms II-VII.

Every Advanced skill that exists in the RAW is the kind of thing one might expect to find in characters who have spent years studying their particular art: medicine, engineering, etc, and each advanced skill offers something particular and unique that extends above and beyond the basic prerequisites. Making Form I an advanced skill is ultimately little more than a way to side-step the rules and allow the character to advance their basic Lightsaber skill at greater speed and reduced cost.

A person who does not know anything about lightsabers at all would start at the most basic level (learning the skill Lightsaber). Once they are sufficiently proficient in the basics, they may begin to branch out into other, more advanced forms of lightsaber combat (learning one of the Advanced Forms). Each of these advanced forms is specialized in its own way, and greatly surpasses all the other Forms in its own area of expertise, but at the cost of being lacking in other areas. Form VI attempts to be a balanced Form, but ends up so watered down that it lags behind the other Forms, while Form VII requires intensive study and places the practitioner at greater risk of falling to the Dark Side.

Alternately, a practitioner could eschew all the advanced Forms and concentrate exclusively on Form I (basic Lightsaber skill). Because he can only advance his skill level by +1 per level up (as opposed to the +2 per level up of another Form's practitioner advancing both Lightsaber and Form # by +1 per level up), his skill level does not increase as rapidly as other Jedi who master the advanced forms. However, those Jedi will eventually run into the double-CP slope imposed by the rules of Advanced skills, and while it may take some time for the Form I practitioner to catch up, on a long enough time-line, he will eventually reach (and surpass) the same level of proficiency (represented by total skill dice available in lightsaber combat), all while doing it more efficiently by concentrating exclusively on the most basic Form.

I have put a lot of thought into this while developing my own system, and IMO, Form I is best left as the basic Lightsaber skill if one is attempting to stick relatively close to the RAW. The only exceptions would be if you are developing a Seven Forms variant that exists as part of a completely unique combat system that integrates into existing D6 but uses its own rules.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I came up with an idea that represents each of the seven forms without even using advanced skills, but instead, it either A) treats each form as a separate skill (easiest method to regulate) or B) simply allows a player to say "I study form X so I'll use that set of modifiers."

If used as separate skills, the system could be used to develop advanced skill versions of each form, representing true mastery of a given form, though I have not developed the idea to that degree yet.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I did make several changes to my ideas for the bonuses provided to the various Forms to better reflect their original descriptions in the Fightsaber article. The end result can be found here.

Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be sure to look that over in more detail later this week.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
dadofett
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Also, I did make several changes to my ideas for the bonuses provided to the various Forms to better reflect their original descriptions in the Fightsaber article. The end result can be found here.

Of the many re-works of Lightsabre battle/Dueling Blades that I"ve seen, this is my favorite so far....because it has the broadest coverage of nuances.

That being said, I am going to "roll it out" to my players in small bits as the whole thing is a lot to digest.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dadofett wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Of the many re-works of Lightsabre battle/Dueling Blades that I"ve seen, this is my favorite so far....because it has the broadest coverage of nuances.

That being said, I am going to "roll it out" to my players in small bits as the whole thing is a lot to digest.

Thanks. I put a lot of work into it, and it went through several variations before it got to this point. In some ways, it still isn't finished, but the current version does well for what it is. Although it wasn't made entirely clear, it was intended to be a modular system, so that the various add-on rules, like combat stamina, psychological warfare, combat ranging and the like could be included or excluded based on your personal preference. It's always nice to hear that someone appreciates one's efforts, and I'd love to hear how this ends up working for you.

Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still didn't get Form I (even after reading crmcneills thread). Is Form I supposed to be a normal skill, a specialization of lightsabercombat or is it an advanced skill?

And maybe I've overlooked it, but do the bonuses from the forms always apply or only as long as you have 'activated' one form?

And I love these ideas of changing lightsabercombat. Smile
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I have time to work things over a little bit, it will be an advanced skill in its own right.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasriia wrote:
Well, I still didn't get Form I (even after reading crmcneills thread). Is Form I supposed to be a normal skill, a specialization of lightsabercombat or is it an advanced skill?

At the risk of being redundant, Form I should be nothing more than an alternate name for the basic Lightsaber skill. By its own description, it does nothing more than teach a character the basics of lightsaber combat (like a basic skill), which they then use as a basis of knowledge upon which more advanced forms are then learned (like advanced skills). Form I lacks the complexity and specialization to be an advanced Form in its own right.

Quote:
And maybe I've overlooked it, but do the bonuses from the forms always apply or only as long as you have 'activated' one form?

I would say no. Each Form's bonuses are dependent on specific stances and blade positioning, which will be different from Form to Form. In my dueling Blades thread, I've mentioned the possibility for masters developing their own advanced skills: unique variations on the existing Seven Forms. It's possible that an advanced master could develop his own Form that incorporates aspects of other Forms at the same time, but a balanced stat for those would include additional penalties or difficulties to balance out the bonuses.

And I love these ideas of changing lightsabercombat. :)[/quote]

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to allow multiple forms providing bonuses simultaneously, since in an actual fight, the "stance" is a fluid concept, and usually doesn't survive the initial physical contact.

Fighting is all about trying to take your opponent off balance; so since you're constantly adjusting to maintain balance, your "stance" is constantly adjusting as well.

I have very limited training in (melee) weapons combat, but for any type of unarmed fighting, you're using at least one-hand (and in modern fighting, it's almost always two hands) to protect your head. Generally speaking you only open your guard to make an attack when you can exploit over-extension by your opponent. If you watch the highest levels of marital arts, you'll see that the fighters spend most of their time maneuvering for position, and making very non-committal attacks, trying to get a feel for the skill level of their opponent.

Now, this is very uncinematic, so it doesn't really fit well into an action-oriented RPG like Star Wars... but I'm of the opinion that the more you know, the less weaknesses you have, and blending together multiple styles of martial arts can only be an advantageous thing.

The way I would handle it in D6 SW would be like this:

Obi-Wan Kenobi has 5D in lightsaber, 4D+2 in Form 3 and 2D+1 in Form 4. When using his lightsaber, he rolls 9D+2 (the highest advanced skill added to the base skill), and gains whatever benefits come with having 2D+1 in form 4 as well (perhaps having 2D in form 4 increases the duration of his enhance attribute power by 2 rounds). He also gains the benefits of form 3 (perhaps 4D+2 in form 3 allows him to add a +4 bonus to parry and deflection rolls).

If the CP cost of getting those benefits is a concern, you could rule that training an Advanced skill costs additional CPs if it stems from the same skill as another Advanced skill the character already has. So, for example, the highest advanced skill is raised at it's normal rate. Any other advanced skills cost double or 1.5 or triple or whatever you think is appropriate.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I would tend to allow multiple forms providing bonuses simultaneously, since in an actual fight, the "stance" is a fluid concept, and usually doesn't survive the initial physical contact.

The Seven Forms tend to be a lot deeper than just a stance, though. In their own way, each Form is its own philosophy and mindset. How can you simultaneously maintain the focused and opposed mindsets of Attack (Form V) and Defense (Form III)? I have no problem with adepts of multiple Forms changing Forms at the beginning of a new round, but the focus of the Forms themselves runs far too deep for you to simply be able to stack one on top of the other.

Quote:
Now, this is very uncinematic, so it doesn't really fit well into an action-oriented RPG like Star Wars... but I'm of the opinion that the more you know, the less weaknesses you have, and blending together multiple styles of martial arts can only be an advantageous thing.

Of course, in the D6 SWU, this increased experience is expressed as skill dice levels. Stacking bonuses from multiple Forms would have the same effect as investing a few dice in the basic Lightsaber (Form I) skill, plus the advanced skill.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

The Seven Forms tend to be a lot deeper than just a stance, though. In their own way, each Form is its own philosophy and mindset. How can you simultaneously maintain the focused and opposed mindsets of Attack (Form V) and Defense (Form III)? I have no problem with adepts of multiple Forms changing Forms at the beginning of a new round, but the focus of the Forms themselves runs far too deep for you to simply be able to stack one on top of the other.

I would tend to agree here. The goal of the fighter is going to influence his approach to the fight. However, if you use strike an opponent with a Form 5 technique and he swings back at you afterward, you don't "forget" your Form 3 parries until your next turn.

Not to mention that Form 5 wouldn't even exist without Form 3.

crmcneill wrote:
Of course, in the D6 SWU, this increased experience is expressed as skill dice levels. Stacking bonuses from multiple Forms would have the same effect as investing a few dice in the basic Lightsaber (Form I) skill, plus the advanced skill.

This is probably the most crucial point on which we may disagree. Not that I'm saying you're wrong, only that I find it much more fun to represent "experience" with mechanics other than just "more dice." So, a character with 5D lightsaber and 3D in all seven forms would still only roll 8D when using his lightsaber, but would have a vast array of options and features in effect at once (such a character would take A LOT of play sessions to develop, but I present this idea just as an example).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: