The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Medpacs - how do you use them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Medpacs - how do you use them? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's say you're right. Medpacks can heal wounds. Now answer the origional question; Why is bacta treatment so much less effective than medpacks?
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play with smart players who have learned that "the greatest victory is the battle not fought." Still, some of my players, even Ragnar, get wounded status sometimes. The medpack easily negates this penalty and Ragnar's back in the fray. You guys have gotten more serious about the medpack than I believe the rules intended, but that is a good thing. It allows for a "wounded" penalty, even treated with medpack, to be rather serious later on. Smile

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Blubbo the Hutt
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are medpacks limited use, or can you use the same one over and over? We've opted to use the following rule (which I think we stole from Shadowrun).

Roll 1D6

1-3 Medpack is good
4-6 Medpack is used

Personally I'd like to change this system. My players use them too frequently and too easily.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medpacks are 'one time use'. Mostly our characters carry one each, two each if we're going into battle, and the med tech carries one per die of first aid + (A)medicine. Seems to work well.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot of packs!

He must be a walking target, assuming he can walk with all the wieght.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more than the demo expert who carries the demolitions packs, or the gunner who carries the light repeating blaster and extra power packs, or the comm tech who carries the communications, computer hacking, and security breeching gear...and then, of course, there's the body armour...

Our special ops group tends to carry a lot of gear.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Medpacs - how do you use them? Reply with quote

Feyladil wrote:
I'm gamemastering Star Wars for almost 16 years now, but I never figured out how Medpacs work.

The problem that I have is that I can heal someone with a medpac extremely fast. On the other hand, the healing process in a bacta tank lasts much longer.

But medpacs are only first aid tools that include stuff like pain killers, diagnostic scanners and some basic medical equipment. Bacta tanks however are the most advanced medical technology. So now, why are they so bad compared with medpacs?

At the moment I tend to say, that medpacs are able to negate the effects of injury for a specific amount of time (lets say 1d hours). One should use that time to get into a hospital or another location where professional aid is available. Maybe they could also add a +2 modifier on "natural healing" checks - I don't know.

What do you think?

Cheers
Sven

You ever watch the TV series M*A*S*H? Seems like on there medics in the field can apply bandages to slow the bleeding and pain killers to deaden the pain until they can get them to an aid station, which is only slightly better as it can better dress the wound, maybe even suture a wound to maybe stop the bleeding temporarily, apply splints, and in general prepare the wounded for transport to a MASH where they can expect much better care that takes longer to apply even if it's quicker than someplace like Tokyo. I'd say treat medpacs just like that, a short term solution while bacta tanks are more like a MASH or Tokyo, takes longer to heal the patient, but they are more likely to heal and do better in the long run. Which it sounds like what you've been doing.
Trask
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I don't see here is side-effects.

Our GM has a rule which he uses to stop us overusing medpacks whereby if you overuse them they will start doing more harm than good. Not only that, but my character recently was refused treatment by a medical droid on the grounds that he had been injected with too many drugs already and shouldn't be given any more for at least 24 hours.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Medpacs take time to use. Sometimes, the heroes just don't have ten minutes to spare. It's not like a stimpack or healing potion or something. You actually have to take the time to do some medical stuff.
2. They're one-use only. Not only that but the difficulty rises for each successive use of a medpak in a single day. They're quick-fixes, but hardly health potions.
3. They require skill to use. Not terribly important, but with larger wounds it may be.
4. They're items. As such, they can be lost or stolen just like any other item (though a GM doing this too often is a real prick).
5. Do you really want to kill the heroes because they can't use or get to a medpak? Think about the purpose of the adventure. Star Wars is pulp action. Rarely do you see injuries that lastingly incapacitate Our Heroes (tm). More often, someone limps along a bit until they have the time to patch up, then they're fine again. Even Luke got back on his feet after the Wampa cavern with a bacta healing montage. The exception is limb loss, which serves a dramatic purpose in Star Wars and there are already special rules for.

So I don't find medpaks overly useful. I think they're just about right.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. How i handle them..

1) Each medpack is usable once.
2) each medpack can be used 3 times for 'stun KO revival' But if you take this option, they cannot be used for proper healing.
3) If you roll a 1 on the wild die, then you push the person to the next damage level.
4) if you wish to use more than one, you can do so, but each successive one is 1 diff level higher (though it balances out as they get easier with the less damage needing to be healed)
5) If you roll 10 or more LOWER than the number needed, you have overdriven their system and no more can be used in 1 day.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blubbo the Hutt wrote:
So are medpacks limited use, or can you use the same one over and over? We've opted to use the following rule (which I think we stole from Shadowrun).

Roll 1D6

1-3 Medpack is good
4-6 Medpack is used

I like this rule. I believe I may institute it. Makes sense, some wounds are just more serious then others.

Now, about the topic. As mentioned, medpacs take time. Medpacs get successively harder to use if multiples are needed in one day. Medpacs are of finite supply. Medpac difficulties get higher with wound levels. An extremely bad medpac roll can actually make a character worse. Also keep in mind that wounds suchered up with medpacs will leave horrible scars. Wounds treated solely with medpacs may even reopen if the character exerts himself too heavily. A bacta tank, on the other hand, when used by a skilled technician can recover from an injurry status with minimal scarring, it's just a matter of time.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning!! Threadomancy in progress!! Wink

Finding this thread finally got me to formalize rules for medpacks. I have used a 'by the seat of my pants' approach to medpacks before, partially inherited from an earlier GM.

How i handle Medpacks..

1) Each medpack is usable once.
2) After you have used one, you cannot use another until you have recieved another wound, ie you cannot use several to go from incapacitated to fully healed.
3) if you have already used a medpack, each successive use the same day is 1 diff level higher.
4) If you roll 10 or more lower than the number needed when using a medpack the second or successive times during a day you have actually worsened the wound level one level.
5) It takes 2D6x2 minutes to heal a wound level (or 15 min if I use a fixed number). This is increased by +2D6x2 minutes (+15 mins) for each successive use of a medpack the same day.

Using a Fastflesh is one difficulty higher than a Medpack. Using a Fastflesh without any dice in the Medicine skill is one difficulty higher. You can still use your First Aid + Medicine skill for the test. The healing time for a 'wound' is 1D minutes if you have not used a 'pack' (Medpack of Fastflesh) before during the same day. After that the healing time is halved.

If you roll high on your First Aid skill when using a Fastflesh or a Medpack healing times are slightly decreased. I still have no hard rules for this though.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc, there is a rule about only using a medpak once per day on a person as more will actually increase the wounds, and a flash medpak may be used after a standard medpak to bypass that limitation (so you get healed twice per day).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Iirc, there is a rule about only using a medpak once per day on a person as more will actually increase the wounds, and a flash medpak may be used after a standard medpak to bypass that limitation (so you get healed twice per day).

Nope.. Medpacks can be used one after another, but the downer is where each additional one used after the first costs an additional category shift- so a mod becomes diff which becomes v/diff... And if you get 10 less than needed, you overdrive the system to where no more med packs can be used for 24 hrs.

It is only with self healing you can worsen themselves.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: