The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Thinking about changing the way fire control works
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Thinking about changing the way fire control works Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Thinking about changing the way fire control works Reply with quote

So...

One of the things that annoys me about D6 is that success is based on the volume of dice you roll. Having a single mechanic to run the entire game is nice and simple, but I'm thinking about changing the way some "bonuses" work so that they add a little more depth to the game.

Fire control, for example. Instead of just adding dice to the skill, I'm thinking that fire control will allow the player to re-roll the number of dice indicated by fire control, so that a fire control rating of 2D will mean that the player rolls the appropriate skill, and may re-roll any of the dice, up to the amount indicated by the fire control. This of course means that fire control cannot be pip based; it can only be whole dice. On the other hand, there could be pips which don't do anything, but bring you that much closer to the next die when modifying your ship's armament, so that it's quicker/cheaper to bring a 2D+2 fire control up to 3D than it is to bring 2D up to 3D.

Here's an example:

Commander Devonae is flying her X-Wing and fires her laser cannons at an enemy ship. Her starship gunnery skill is 6D+1. The fire control is 3D. She rolls 6D+1 rolling 1,2,2,4,5,6 (total of 20), plus 1. She then uses the fire control of the X-wing to re-roll the 1 and the pair of 2s, getting a 1, 3, 5, bringing her total to 24 plus 1.

Another way to handle it would be to add the fire control dice to the roll (as normal), but only total up a number of dice equal to the shooter's actual skill. In this case, Devonae would roll 9D+1, but only count the highest 6D, and add the plus 1.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would probably have to add dice to almost all of the fire control systems in the game. Either that or change maneuver to the same system. Otherwise, I think you'd sacrifice too much of the attacker's opportunity to hit.

Complete Starship Construction System
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Maneuverability working the same way. In fact, the two basically oppose each other, so it makes sense that they would follow the same system.

One of the things that really made this clear for me was that using a bi-pod (might have been in a fan sourcebook) added a fire control bonus for certain weapons. I thought: "a bi-pod doesn't make you a better shooter, or even increase your chance to hit unless you know how to take advantage of the bi-pod." And even then, how you use it will vary somewhat from one application to the next.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I can see Maneuverability working the same way. In fact, the two basically oppose each other, so it makes sense that they would follow the same system.

One of the things that really made this clear for me was that using a bi-pod (might have been in a fan sourcebook) added a fire control bonus for certain weapons. I thought: "a bi-pod doesn't make you a better shooter, or even increase your chance to hit unless you know how to take advantage of the bi-pod." And even then, how you use it will vary somewhat from one application to the next.
I'm not sure I like your fire control rules for fire control systems, but I sure as heck like it for bipods!

Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I do not really like your idea. Because space combat in my group was always several baddies in fighters vs. all pc's in 1 freighter. Fire control and maneuverability allow more actions per round. The fighters can dodge and shoot. The pilot-pc can dodge, keep the shields running, maybe some astrogation, while the gunner-pcs can shoot multiple times per round. And shooting multiple times gave us allways a more action-feeling.

In all the movies, there was blasterfire everywhere. Green, red, BOOM!

By the way: a standard TIE-fighter-pilot has 4d piloting and gunnery and 2d maneuv+fire-ctrl. So dodge+1shot means he can actually roll with 3 dice while he can reroll every dice except the jokerdice. To top this: a x-wing has 4d+2 gunnery and 3d fire-ctrl. So dogde+1shot=3d+2 if you dont like it, reroll everything, even a 1 on the joker.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played in one Convention game which did this (on both maneuver and fire control).. All it did was make combats get more dragged out.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent points.

I'm not particularly concerned with whether a pilot gets to re-roll his entire roll (due to low skill), because more dice will still add up to a higher total, however, I don't understand why combat should take any longer, since fire control and maneuverability essentially cancel each other out. Confused
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I don't understand why combat should take any longer, since fire control and maneuverability essentially cancel each other out. Confused
Because you're re-rolling. It takes time.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since you are generally rolling lower numbers/dice there stands a chance for lesser results.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but both attacker and defender are rolling less dice, so it should be a wash.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps but in the event both are rolling less dice then you could also end up with two ships that fail to hit each other for five minutes until someone gets in really close or something.

You'd have to make sure you alter the to-hit difficulty to account for less dice being rolled and a lower possible top score.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about changing the way fire control works Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
One of the things that annoys me about D6 is that success is based on the volume of dice you roll. Having a single mechanic to run the entire game is nice and simple, but I'm thinking about changing the way some "bonuses" work so that they add a little more depth to the game.

You are not alone. Few years ago I and my group changed this. All the bonuses from manv or fire control were changed to modifiers, 1D=+3.
We did the same with the skills. Players rolls attributes and add skill modifiers. This lowered a number of dice rolled significantly and increased the speed of the game.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about changing the way fire control works Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
. All the bonuses from manv or fire control were changed to modifiers, 1D=+3.
We did the same with the skills. Players rolls attributes and add skill modifiers. This lowered a number of dice rolled significantly and increased the speed of the game.

I like this idea. I've been adptoing something similar for cover and some other "fixed" bonuses (like scale) and it does speed things up. A llot of the modfiers can be canceled out this way, too.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about changing the way fire control works Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
Naaman wrote:

You are not alone. Few years ago I and my group changed this. All the bonuses from manv or fire control were changed to modifiers, 1D=+3.

Not a bad idea.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For dogfights we typically net out the dice for things like maneuverabilty and firecontrol. So an X-wing with FC 3D vs. a TIE/in MAN 2D gives the pilot a net +1D FC and the TIE pilot +0D MAN. When the TIE is firing at the X-wing, the TIE's FC 2D is matched against the X-wing's MAN 3D and the TIE gets a net +0D FC and the X-wing gets a net +1D MAN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: