The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Double-bladed Lightsaber (Lightstaff)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Double-bladed Lightsaber (Lightstaff) Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Double-bladed Lightsaber (Lightstaff) Reply with quote

How do you guys handle this weapon in your games?
I remember when I first started GM'ing (about the time Episode I came out) one of the Jedi in my campaign built one.
The way I handled the mechanics back then was simple:

...The Jedi recieves a +1D bonus to parry when wielding the weapon, but the difficulty to use is Very Difficult.

I later discovered the official version of this weapon in the Jedi Academy Sourcebook, in which the base damage of the weapon is 6D (rather than 5D for a normal lightsaber). But since it wasn't really a double-bladed lightsaber in the novels, but rather a dual-length lightsaber, can this really be considered canon?

Anyway, do any of you guys use other mechanics in your game?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a +1D to attack and parry, with the diff at Very Difficult

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why hitting the target would be any more difficult with 2xBladed sabre. However you would be MUCH more likely to hurt yourself when using such a weapon.

My rules are...
+1D to defense.
+1 to attacks (the longer handle would allow for more leverage)
BUT the user takes full damage on a roll of 15 or less (instead of the usual 10).

Only the most skilled of swordsmen can use such a weapon confidently.

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
MasterKazur
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT Swift wrote:
I can't see why hitting the target would be any more difficult with 2xBladed sabre. However you would be MUCH more likely to hurt yourself when using such a weapon.

My rules are...
+1D to defense.
+1 to attacks (the longer handle would allow for more leverage)
BUT the user takes full damage on a roll of 15 or less (instead of the usual 10).

Only the most skilled of swordsmen can use such a weapon confidently.

I like the idea of increasing the likelyhood of hitting yourself with the saber.
But I think that would be more or less implied in the "Very Difficult" level.
For instance:

If you swing a lightsaber (Difficult) with a Dex of 3D you would have to roll at least 6 not to injure yourself.
If you pick up a double bladed (VD) you would need to roll at least 11.

So in a way the higher difficulty also makes it much more likely that a novice will injure himself with the weapon.

A two-bladed weapon is infact a much more difficult weapon to wield, but I know you don't agree and your way of doing the mechanics is perfectly fine.

About the +1 to attacks:... hmm... I don't know. Does anything in the RAW even give something as triviel as a +1 to skill? I means I know some armor does to strength to resist damage, but to a skill??? I've never seen that.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT Swift wrote:
I can't see why hitting the target would be any more difficult with 2xBladed sabre.
It's because the other blade denies the wielder use of certain more natural positions and grips.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, with regards to a Jedi hitting himself with a saber, I prefer Bren's take. In all the films, we never see a Jedi hit himself with a saber. We do, however, see a Jedi lose his grip on the saber. I would suggest keeping the "slash yourself" rule strictly for characters attempting to use a saber untrained, while characters who have Lightsaber as a skill have the option of dropping their saber rather than taking damage.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. However, I think you could hurt yourself with a double bladed saber with a very low roll. If you try and use it like a sword, then you have one blade pointed at your enemy, and one pointed at your sensitive parts...

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I agree. However, I think you could hurt yourself with a double bladed saber with a very low roll. If you try and use it like a sword, then you have one blade pointed at your enemy, and one pointed at your sensitive parts...

A fair point. Although if a Jedi specialized in Lightstaff...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... I'd treat a double bladed lightsaber as an entirely separate skill. Since you can't "specialize" in lightsaber, why should you get to specialize in a more powerful variant and pay less to advance the skill?

How I handle it is like this: The user can either make one extra attack with no MAP on the attacks (still counts as two actions for other skills' MAPs); OR can make an attack and a parry with no MAP (still counts as two actions for other skills). The difficulty is very difficult (often 25 or higher). The normal risk of hitting yourself is present.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you specialize? Not just because WEG says you can't. The WEG rules were established before the EU introduced the idea of variant lightsabers, so there is no reason you can't allow lightsaber specialization for specific lightsaber types.

The idea for MAP countering is alright, but you get the same effect by allowing +1D to attack and defense.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Why can't you specialize? Not just because WEG says you can't. The WEG rules were established before the EU introduced the idea of variant lightsabers, so there is no reason you can't allow lightsaber specialization for specific lightsaber types.

If you allowed specalization you'd have to remove the melee parry and brawling parry to be fair otherwise a specialization in Lightstaff can be used for attack and defence but a specialization in vibrorapier can't.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

If you allowed specalization you'd have to remove the melee parry and brawling parry to be fair otherwise a specialization in Lightstaff can be used for attack and defence but a specialization in vibrorapier can't.

Already done IMC. I never thought it was realistic that you needed two separate skills for Melee Combat. I just have characters roll Melee Parry or Lightsaber for both attack and defense rolls.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

The idea for MAP countering is alright, but you get the same effect by allowing +1D to attack and defense.

No you don't. You get +1D to attack and defense. Which means that you get a free die when taking a single action that is not generated by any kind of mastery of the weapon. Making a single attack with a double sided weapon is no more effective than making a single attack with a normal weapon.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
No you don't. You get +1D to attack and defense. Which means that you get a free die when taking a single action that is not generated by any kind of mastery of the weapon. Making a single attack with a double sided weapon is no more effective than making a single attack with a normal weapon.

Based on what I have read, a lightstaff provides more benefits than just being able to attack or defend against two attacks at once, with the trade-off of being more difficult to use, so giving a +1D bonus allows the lightstaff wielder to better perform multiple actions (because the +1D bonus counters the first MAP), as well as be more versatile when attacking or defending against a single opponent. It's not about making a more effective single attack; it's about using the versatility of your weapon to attack more effectively, by using your weapon to more effectively attack from multiple angles in quick succession.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. That's why I don't give a +1D, and instead use the method I described.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: