The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pre-hyperspace ship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Pre-hyperspace ship
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Pre-hyperspace ship Reply with quote

I'm working on coming up with a small destroyer built by a pre-hyperspace Deep-aquatic species. I am thinking of something like what we could build in maybe 50 years. I'm thinking a ship of less than 100 meters, mounting what would in SW terms be a very rudimentary ion drive. I know I want it to be radar-stealthy, armed with simple lasers (not laser cannons or other blaster-type weapons) and be re-usable like a space shuttle.

I plan to make stats, an external drawing, and maybe deckplans.

I'd like any input and suggestions you have.

Complete Starship Construction System
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if it's a deep water species would the ship itself be filled with water (or whatever liquid they lived in?)

If it was constructed at high pressures I'd expect them to either have very advanced sheild technology or massively reinforced hulls.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
So if it's a deep water species would the ship itself be filled with water (or whatever liquid they lived in?)

If it was constructed at high pressures I'd expect them to either have very advanced sheild technology or massively reinforced hulls.

I've thought about that. I figure that due to the massive weight of a spaceship full of water, they would probably wear high pressure environment suits. Although, now that you mention it, I wonder what the ramifications would be if they lived in liquid methane or something like that...

Anyway, I'm not at all settled and still looking for lots of ideas and thoughts.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't read it, you might look at Startide Rising by David Brin. It is set in the year 2489 C.E. with a Terran spaceship Streaker — crewed by 150 uplifted dolphins, seven humans, and one uplifted chimpanzee. IIR parts of the Streaker were filled with water.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it. Thanks for the advice!

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filling the ship with water would have some interesting ramifications.

As water compresses very slightly, it has beeen postulated as wa way to compesate for high accleration. Very useful for cultures lacking anti-grav technology.

Also, water is a better conductor of heat than air so the ship would be better abble to get rid of excess heat (another real world problem).

But, a water filled ship would be massive (water is something like 800 times denser than air) so the ship would not only be about 800 times heavier, but would require about 800 times the fuel to get off planet. Where or not that is feasible will depend on how advanced the aliens are. For "Earth" level TTech, they would need a fleet of tankers to put the ship into orbit.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this I'm not so sure laser weapons is the way to go for a ship like this, it should probably have missile/torpedo weapons as it's primary armament as these can be adapted for combat in a vacuum but are also suited to fluid combat.

It might even have some wort of shockwave based weapon that doesn't work at all in space but when in an atmosphere (or better yet underwater) is a fairly potent wall of force type attack.

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electrically based, ie. ion weapons would be natural. Those and concussion missiles.

Whilst a liquid atmosphere increases the overall damage resistance of the combined mass, it reduces the structural integrity of whatever you're housing it in, so I'd suggest the hull/shield ratio to favour shielding over hull.

Acceleration should be immense, so sublight speed should be comparatively high. Inertial stresses are very high, so manoeuvrability should be low.

Due to overall mass density I'd say we're talking about a much smaller vessel than one might prefer for its role, particularly if it's a hybrid atmospheric craft. It's simply going to cost too much fuel and too many atomic tech level engines to launch it into orbit every five minutes if it's big.

Also, you're talking about Atomic tech level (scouts galaxy guide), which means energy weapons are extremely rudimentary, they don't exist in character scale at all, you use slugthrowers and the like, energy weapons are only ship mounted and they're massive, hopelessly underpowered and have huge power requirements.
You'd get best effect from projectile cannon and missiles.
Shielding systems are barely invented, the most expensive flaship might have a little energy shielding but most craft you'll be lucky to have any particle shields to resist missile attacks with.

For weapons systems look over the Tales of the Jedi old republic period sourcebooks and don't forget to downgrade them. They're a higher tech than you.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
electrically based, ie. ion weapons would be natural. Those and concussion missiles.

Whilst a liquid atmosphere increases the overall damage resistance of the combined mass, it reduces the structural integrity of whatever you're housing it in, so I'd suggest the hull/shield ratio to favour shielding over hull.

Acceleration should be immense, so sublight speed should be comparatively high. Inertial stresses are very high, so manoeuvrability should be low.

Due to overall mass density I'd say we're talking about a much smaller vessel than one might prefer for its role, particularly if it's a hybrid atmospheric craft. It's simply going to cost too much fuel and too many atomic tech level engines to launch it into orbit every five minutes if it's big.

Also, you're talking about Atomic tech level (scouts galaxy guide), which means energy weapons are extremely rudimentary, they don't exist in character scale at all, you use slugthrowers and the like, energy weapons are only ship mounted and they're massive, hopelessly underpowered and have huge power requirements.
You'd get best effect from projectile cannon and missiles.
Shielding systems are barely invented, the most expensive flaship might have a little energy shielding but most craft you'll be lucky to have any particle shields to resist missile attacks with.

For weapons systems look over the Tales of the Jedi old republic period sourcebooks and don't forget to downgrade them. They're a higher tech than you.

Why should acceleration be immense? I would think that due to the increased weight of all that water the acceleration would be lower since there's so much more to push.

Massive, hopelessly underpowered laser weapons is exactly what I'm looking for. I think concussion missiles are beyond the technical abilities of these people, but they do use projectile tech. The lasers are just the only weapons they have that they're confident they can hit with. Also, since SW energy shields clearly don't block visible wavelength light, the lasers would have the minor advantage of bypassing shields.

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean in terms of inertial forces within cabin spaces. Assuming you can put as many engines of as much thrust as you like, using liquid atmosphere would handle tons of linear acceleration without danger to the crew, the mass-velocity vector (not sure if that string of words makes sense) just wouldn't like changing direction very much.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't lasers work poorly in a dense fluid-like atmosphere?

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Wouldn't lasers work poorly in a dense fluid-like atmosphere?
They aren't for atmospheric use, and the atmosphere of the planet is not necessarily different from our own. The inhabitants just live in the deep sea trenches.

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some types of lasers work fairly well for a short distance through water. The US nuclear sub fleet uses them for satellite uplinks.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
Some types of lasers work fairly well for a short distance through water. The US nuclear sub fleet uses them for satellite uplinks.
And Star Wars does have special blasters that are effective underwater. Weapons that work in the environment that a species evolved in would seem to be what they would naturally develop first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: