The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

More Alter only powers!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> More Alter only powers!!!! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What about turning an object invisible?

Some more ideas:

Force Light (cause an object to illuminate/give off light)

Bind (hold target in place)

I know you don't care for my opinion, but...

Bind is just an application of standard Telekinesis.
Force Light, unless you want to incorporate other Skills, should only affect the wielder, i.e. ET's finger. I like this idea, though.

Likewise, turning an object invisible sounds like a multi-skill power to me.
crmcneill wrote:
Telekinetic Barrier - A field effect centered on the Jedi that blocks external Telekinetic effects, including Telekinetic Kill and Projected Combat

Kinda like it.
crmcneill wrote:
Telekinetic Flight and/or Telekinetic Jump. No real need for a Control aspect if the motivating force is telekinetic...

Yeah, back in the day, we kinda used Telekinesis to get to this effect, though something tailored better to the idea isn't a bad one. Think I'd be more comfy with a slow fall kind of idea than a flight concept, though. Flight doesn't really fit with the SWU, IMO
crmcneill wrote:
LOL. Maybe. But don't forget that WEG specifically stated that there were other skills and abilities above and beyond what was known. Full spectrum invisibility is in the EU in the Black Fleet Crisis as a Fallanassi power, so there is at least some basis for it.

Aye, there's also Darth Zannah using sorcery towards similar, though personal, effect. There are a couple similar examples with Darth Caedus and a couple others clouding their presence as well with the Force, though not with sorcery.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there is also technology that generates the effect as well: a cloaking device. If it can be physically done, why can't the Force be used to generate the same effect?

With regards to the Force being different from magic, I feel the same way, although for powers not represented in the movies, I think it would be fun to include them in some backwater world with shamans who follow and "alternate" Force tradition.

I once toyed around with the idea of bringing the characters into contact with the "Xetarian Sorcerers" who were a group of reclusive intellectuals who discovered the Force, but only knew of the alter aspect. However, they have developed myriad abilities that the Jedi have demonstrated no knowledge or even concept of.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What about turning an object invisible?

Some more ideas:

Force Light (cause an object to illuminate/give off light)

Bind (hold target in place)

THere exists a power for force light (iirc force harmony does that). TK can hold objects in place. As for the object invis, there is a white current power for that, but i don't know if it is just alter, or Control/alter...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
Bren wrote:
Naaman wrote:
How about an invisibility power... probably would require control as well, though...
If they just think you are invisible, that is just affect mind. If the camera, droid, crowd of 500 people, or what have you can't see you that would be a different power. Seems like you would need control and alter at a minimum. And since it is more powerful than the affect mind it should be hard to succeed at.

Stuff like this, to me, seems out of the realm of what use of the Force encompasses. I've always differentiated the Force from just "magic in space". But that's me, and my interpretation.
I don't disagree. I'm not endorsing invisibility - as opposed to affect mind "you didn't see anyone pass", just trying to characterize it.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
And there is also technology that generates the effect as well: a cloaking device. If it can be physically done, why can't the Force be used to generate the same effect?

Just because it can be physically done, doesn't mean that the Force can be used to do it. Obviously, each GM is entitled to run their own version of the SWU as they see fit, but there are many things that I would not let a player (or NPC, for that matter) do with the Force. I can't see the Force being used to make an object or person literally invisible. I can't see anyone using the Force to transcend this dimension into the dimension known as hyperspace no matter how great his mastery of the Force. I can't see the Force enabling someone to communicate with a droid or ship/comm device that was out of earshot. And so on and so forth. Sure, you or I could come up with convoluted ways to force (no pun intended) these square pegs into the round hole that is the Force, but it doesn't seem to fit with the nature of the Force in the SWU. Again, I realize that this is somewhat subjective, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion or stance on the matter, but that's my take on it.

Bren wrote:
Matthias777 wrote:
Bren wrote:
Naaman wrote:
How about an invisibility power... probably would require control as well, though...

If they just think you are invisible, that is just affect mind. If the camera, droid, crowd of 500 people, or what have you can't see you that would be a different power. Seems like you would need control and alter at a minimum. And since it is more powerful than the affect mind it should be hard to succeed at.

Stuff like this, to me, seems out of the realm of what use of the Force encompasses. I've always differentiated the Force from just "magic in space". But that's me, and my interpretation.

I don't disagree. I'm not endorsing invisibility - as opposed to affect mind "you didn't see anyone pass", just trying to characterize it.

Gotcha. And you're right; if you were going to make yourself invisible by using the Force, it would absolutely have to be a Control and Alter power. It could be Alter-only if you were making someone or something else invisible, though (assuming for the purposes of this argument that you could indeed use the Force to do such a thing; I've made my stance on this clear, but I don't mind entertaining the thought purely for the academic side of the discussion).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a new force power to make up.. Turn invisible.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how far you want to go with it. After all, one of the WOTC Saga Books (can't remember which) offers the Jedi power of Phase, which allows a character to walk through a solid object by taking his body out of phase with the object he is passing through. Not everyone agrees with this power (I'm not sure if I like it either), but if it is possible for a character to take himself out of phase with physical objects, then its not a huge step to say that he might be able to take himself out of phase with the electromagnetic spectrum (i.e. light no longer reflects him, but passes straight through him, rendering him invisible).

EDIT: BUT, if such a thing were possible, it should definitely be a C/A power, at the very least.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phase should be very unusual and or difficult. I would expect a jedi would need to do some serious meditation before learning and mastering this power.

Always in motion matter is. Wink
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Depends how far you want to go with it. After all, one of the WOTC Saga Books (can't remember which) offers the Jedi power of Phase, which allows a character to walk through a solid object by taking his body out of phase with the object he is passing through. Not everyone agrees with this power (I'm not sure if I like it either)...

Wow, I did not know that. Is that something they drew from canon, or did they just come up with it for the supplement?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Phase should be very unusual and or difficult. I would expect a jedi would need to do some serious meditation before learning and mastering this power.

Always in motion matter is. Wink

I would also expect it should be very dangerous.

Complete Starship Construction System
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I really hope Fantasy Flight does better things with the franchise than Wizards did Wink

Donate to Ankhanu Press
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually was a basis for it in the comics. I can't recall which one, but there was a Jedi who went by the Dark Lady, and she was seen to use this power on occasion. It was a little over the top, but you can't fault WOTC for being faithful to the source material.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked the comic version of the power. It seemed limited and like it was really only available to one particular master - sort of like Vaapad.

The master was An'ya Kuro aka the Dark Woman. She showed up in the Star Wars: Republic comics and she could pass (or phase) through doors or walls.

EDIT: used alternate link provided by Matthias777

Last edited by Bren on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An'ya Kuro

Fixed the link for ya.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matthais777. 8) Now I hope I remember that trick.

Now I would greatly appreciate an anyone who can satisfy my curiousity by answering (as a PM so as not to derail this thread) why the original link with the apostrophe: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/An'ya_Kuro doesn't work with the URL code in the forum. It also appears that there is a duplicate link (or an alias or something) with the address that Matthias777 provided: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/An'ya_Kuro, I presume that is because the link with the apostrophe doesn't work. Is this something that Wiki had to create separately and synch or is this something the web does automatically.

EDIT: Answer received. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: