The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Nav Computer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Nav Computer Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Nav Computer Reply with quote

I'd like to officially announce the Alpha-version of my online nav computer.

You can find it here.

Over the past couple of months you have, perhaps, noticed me asking a lot of questions, starting or reviving topics, such as this one, this one, and this one. The purpose of all this frenetic single-issue posting has been to get your input into building a website that help determine travel time between systems.

What I have online now, courtesy of the D6 Holocron, is the Alpha-version of this engine. It is the Alpha-version, because it still has a significant bug concerning systems with apostrophes in the names. I think I've worked out how to fix that bug, but it will probably be a while before I address it.

(In the meantime, if you REALLY want to go to systems that have apostrophes, look in the system list and find a system close to an apostrophe system and plot your course to there, plus the time it takes to get from the adjacent system to the apostrophe system.)
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for putting this together. I've already tried it out a little, and it seems quite handy.

Complete Starship Construction System
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is freaking amazing Mikael!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. Wow, thank you for doing this.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm in Windows Explorer and although I can enter a starting point, there is no text entry box or drop down list for a destination or for the Hyperdrive speed. The only thing that worked was the Systems choice. So I couldn't actually find out how long it takes to go anywhere. Using the System choice, my routes all just sort of circled back to the starting point or dead ended. Maybe I need to start at a better nexus planet.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Interesting. I'm in Windows Explorer and although I can enter a starting point, there is no text entry box or drop down list for a destination or for the Hyperdrive speed. The only thing that worked was the Systems choice. So I couldn't actually find out how long it takes to go anywhere. Using the System choice, my routes all just sort of circled back to the starting point or dead ended. Maybe I need to start at a better nexus planet.

You're right - JT Swift mentioned this problem with IE. I didn't write the code with Explorer in mind, and Explorer is very strange when it comes to reading .html. Try it with Firefox! The sooner you ditch IE the happier your internet life will be.

</bias>

As to the system pages, it IS possible to jump all around the galaxy that way, but that's very hard to do without knowing the layout of the hyperroutes. It's better for figuring out what is very close to where you are, if you're in a particular system. In the Beta version, I'm going to make more extensive use of maps to help out in that regard.

I may, eventually, also get around to tweaking the code to work with IE, but that's fairly low on my list of priorities. Sorry.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I can see this becoming very useful!

PS: Would be nice if it worked in Internet Explorer, but I use Firefox as well, so I can manage!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
The sooner you ditch IE the happier your internet life will be.

</bias>

I don't remember whether I was using Safari or Chrome, but I had an oddity or two crop up when I was trying it out. I just chalked it up to operator error, though.

vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh very nice!

I have been tossing around how to do that in my mind via google maps api or something ( so it will highlight route and show stops Smile)

If you want help with this project let me know as I have a lot of PHP knowledge. check out my site below and I can help you out with the ' problem as well (and a dynamic dropdown list to help users with their planet selection Wink) check out my alien list and you will see what im talking about.

as a feature for the future, being able to click a location on the map of to start and finish your destination.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
a dynamic dropdown list to help users with their planet selection.

Full of win. That's what I'd like to see. Very Happy

Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
I have been tossing around how to do that in my mind via google maps api or something ( so it will highlight route and show stops Smile)

I poked around on Google maps a little bit, but didn't find how to do it. Instead I used a network analysis program to determine the weighted shortest-path between all systems in the network. That's how I arrived at what are more than a million shortest paths.

vong wrote:
If you want help with this project let me know as I have a lot of PHP knowledge. check out my site below and I can help you out with the ' problem as well (and a dynamic dropdown list to help users with their planet selection Wink) check out my alien list and you will see what im talking about.

Dude, where have you been hiding all this time? Very Happy
I do like the dynamic dropdown lists a great deal. They would be awesome. I'll send you that PM later, when I have more of a moment.

vong wrote:
as a feature for the future, being able to click a location on the map of to start and finish your destination.

If we can make that happen it would be great. It would have to use data that is dramatically different from what I presently have, however.

As you can hopefully not tell too readily, my own PHP-fu is very limited. What I know I learned putting this together. What's bugging me about the apostrophe business is that it works fine at home on my WAMPserver, but it's not playing nice on the Holocron server. Bizarre that.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am totally stoked about this project. It gets kind of tiring playing things by ear when it comes to travel times. Makes running galaxy wide games much easier for me. I plan to bookmark it and look forward to any updates. Thanks a million for your effort!
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I for one am totally stoked about this project. It gets kind of tiring playing things by ear when it comes to travel times. Makes running galaxy wide games much easier for me. I plan to bookmark it and look forward to any updates. Thanks a million for your effort!

You're very welcome!

Right now the updates I am planning are mostly at the internal data end of things. I'm finding little errors here and there that can, essentially, only be ironed out by re-doing the data. However, when it is done, it should make the whole thing more versatile and able to accommodate more gradual incorporation of more and more star systems.

I would like it so that people can contribute data-entry type things, not unlike a wiki. If this spikes your interest, I'd love to have your input.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome Very Happy. Is there a chance to get this as a program, to use it off-line?

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
This is awesome Very Happy. Is there a chance to get this as a program, to use it off-line?

Hm, you're not the first to ask it.

It is not impossible, but it would be VERY difficult to do. So, unless your mastery of MySQL and php is good and you're willing to download all the data and then integrate it into a wampserver on your machine, the answer, regrettably, has to be 'no'.

If you are knowledgeable or willing to learn - in which case I may shang-hai you for certain projects - then we can work something out.

Sorry
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a development update, I'm working on the beta version as we speak.

It's not going make anything look terribly different (though I have been adjusting a few of the times a little bit and a few errors have been taken care of), but the data is going to be more modular in a way.

This is going to allow me to integrate more parts of the galaxy over time and more gradually expand the database. Right now I only have a quarter of the Essential Atlas' systems plotted, but many of those are names that do not even appear on the maps yet.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. I'm not sure when the new data will be going live, but I'll let you know when it does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: