The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

refubishing old Republic era ships to rebellion era
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> refubishing old Republic era ships to rebellion era Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to say the least. I would have been more than pleased with space 6, but I think my GM factored in my force point and massively successful roll to the results. If I'm not mistaken it was somewhere in the 40s or 50s. Space transport repair + concentration + force point.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave a group a Gozanti cruiser once. However, I didn't like the armaments. It was just TOO much, given that it was privately owned during the Empire. That sort of payload requires massive weapons permits, and I KNOW my group couldn't afford it. It wound up being a good ship for the group otherwise.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
...because the engine was built with high speed fighter parts, that it now had a space rating of 10!
I hope the engines at least represent a greater portion of the ship now! A fishing trawler with jet engines still can't run down a hydroplane...

(That was the starship construction system designer in me having a heart attack.)

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
...because the engine was built with high speed fighter parts, that it now had a space rating of 10!
I hope the engines at least represent a greater portion of the ship now! A fishing trawler with jet engines still can't run down a hydroplane...

(That was the starship construction system designer in me having a heart attack.)

That might not be the most apt example. Among other issues, a fishing trawler has to deal with the drag of its hull design, whereas drag isn't even an issue in space. A ship in a vacuum might need a beefed up keel and other internal members, but in a universe with anti-gravity and acceleration compensators, that might not be an issue either. The increased internal volume is more than fair, though, as far as physics is concerned (as well as the GG6 rules).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we give up our right to gripe about physics the instant one of the players ignites a lightsaber. Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I think we give up our right to gripe about physics the instant one of the players ignites a lightsaber. Smile

What's the saying? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is akin to magic." Just because we don't understand the physics behind something doesn't mean that physics do't apply. Allow us our minor disagreements, Cheshire. At least until we start being jerks about it. Wink

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

That might not be the most apt example. Among other issues, a fishing trawler has to deal with the drag of its hull design, whereas drag isn't even an issue in space. A ship in a vacuum might need a beefed up keel and other internal members, but in a universe with anti-gravity and acceleration compensators, that might not be an issue either. The increased internal volume is more than fair, though, as far as physics is concerned (as well as the GG6 rules).

Of course the speed rating is really an acceleration rating too, though, and the trawler can't beat the hydroplane in a quarter mile either.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Of course the speed rating is really an acceleration rating too, though, and the trawler can't beat the hydroplane in a quarter mile either.

True, but when you've seen the video of a Dodge Caravan with a turbocharged four-cylinder blow the doors off of the competition on the way to an under-12-second quarter mile, you do start to expand the boundaries of possibility...

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Within the rules, one could simply install a new ion drive to get the same effect, but the ship's cargo capacity was affected by the new engine, yes.

I for one am not a physics major, nor am I a hobby physicist. I have no background in Aeronautics or anything else that would be considered applicable.

Quote:

I do have to say that I'm one of the casual gamers who just accepts that it works because it's a work fiction.

Quote:
What's the saying? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is akin to magic." Just because we don't understand the physics behind something doesn't mean that physics do't apply. Allow us our minor disagreements, Cheshire. At least until we start being jerks about it. Wink

It's science-magic!
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dealt with this fairly simply in house rules.

Tales of the Old Republic sourcebook specifies that the Old Republic era of ca.4000BBY is Information Tech Level.

Approximately 1000BBY is the period when the Expansion region and Rim Territories was largely colonised, it was the second great expansion period since the original Colonies region was formed tens of thousands of years earlier, when Hyperdrives were first invented.

So that places the move to Space Tech Level at 1000BBY. Old Republic then to Rebellion era is all Space Tech.
This affects shields, power requirements per mass ratio, crew requirements, avionics capabilities, energy weapons development, all sorts of important ship building factors.

We do have some nicely done conversions of ancient starships to modern Space tech systems like new engines and weapons.
Some of our more backwater worlds use planetary security forces that do this so that they can avoid attracting Imperial attention by upgrading to modern craft.

Ancient craft can perform quite well. But period/tech adjustments are a case by case basis. You need to decide a reasonable frame of mind as to how you're going to apply some working mechanics to it. If you can pull that off just about any system will work for you.

Most importantly everything depends on your relative source for starship stats.
We do interpret Old Republic 4000BBY tech as disjointed compared to Rebellion era tech. It is expressed by perspective, so indeed craft like a Cinnagar Interceptor actually move at space: 4 by Rebellion era standards, and space: 8 by ancient standards.

I use this measure for any vessel which lists the shield die separately and does not have search/focus sensors capability, these signify the Information Tech level of starship construction.
Atmospheric performance as listed however remains, they handled well in atmospheres these older craft.

As for craft which have stats that are clearly modern tech level, ie. the Drake Starfighter is a design from 4000BBY and yet its sensors, shields and weapons stats in the Starships Revised and Expanded (which is a popular collation most of us are using), are all of the modern type.

What we rule in those cases, which is the same with the CloakShape fighter as well, is that the stats given are for old spaceframes converted to modern standards. They maybe 4000yr-old designs, but this particular example was produced and licensed within the last thousand years, and has been refit with modern equipment. The stats work relative to Space Tech for those particular examples.
It's rough but it works.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just accept the fact that the SW universe tech advancement makes no sense at all..

Calling something Information Tech Level (ie, not Space tech level) tens of thousands years after Hyperdrives were invented? Laughing

The very slow advancement in tech levels is a very common problem when authors want to make a society very old with a long history.. You see it in both sci fi and fantasy...
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in all fairness the Star Wars tech levels are very loose.

Atomic covers everything including interplanetary and nearby interstellar colonisation, from nuclear bombs and jet enignes right up to the point just after hyperdrives were introduced.
You wouldn't give them a rating, hyperspace navigation was virtually unknown and all trips would be made on the mishaps table.

Information age covers the main colonial period, when a hyperspace navigational beacon array was placed throughout the major routés of the known galaxy, it stretched to the Inner Rim and no further. If you didn't navigate along the beacon paths, all trips would be made on the mishaps table.
Base hyperdrive speeds would be rated in double figures.

Space tech covers the time when navicomputers became available in vessels smaller than cruiser sized. Hyperspace travel quickly became so universal that the beacon array was no longer needed, all the major routés were travelled frequently enough for them to become superfluous.
The galaxy expanded, the second great colonisation period began, the Expansion region and the Mid Rim.
Base hyperdrive speeds would be rated in single figures. This difference is largely avionics, not engine technologies.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

The very slow advancement in tech levels is a very common problem when authors want to make a society very old with a long history.. You see it in both sci fi and fantasy...
And in history. The first five or ten thousand years of human advancement don't add up to a year's worth of advancements in recent decades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: