The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scopes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Scopes Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Scopes Reply with quote

The idea of rifle scopes adding dice to hit never really sat right with me. I think they ought to provide a percentage bonus to range instead, but I'm having trouble deciding how much. Thoughts?

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that garhkal once proposed an advanced skill for sniping that added an additional range bracket beyond Long Range called Extreme Range. Maybe you could say that a scope adds that extra range bracket, which is a multiple of whatever the weapon's Long Range rating is.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another way tohandle scopes.

Have the scope mutiply the weapon's medium and long ranges. x2 is a decent value, and this could be adjusted for different scopes.

You could require the characters to spend an action, and make a skill roll to get the bonus. The difficulty level would be based on the bonus. This would reflect the time spend aquirng the target while looking through the scope. So a doubling scope would be easy difficulty. A x3 scope moderate, and so on.The shooter can reduce this difficulty by one level per full round spent "aiming". So eventually anyone can find the target.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always require a Sensors check to make sure the scope is sighted in correctly, and the shooter needs to aim for one round to gain the bonus, as well.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Here is another way tohandle scopes.

Have the scope mutiply the weapon's medium and long ranges. x2 is a decent value, and this could be adjusted for different scopes.

You could require the characters to spend an action, and make a skill roll to get the bonus. The difficulty level would be based on the bonus. This would reflect the time spend aquirng the target while looking through the scope. So a doubling scope would be easy difficulty. A x3 scope moderate, and so on.The shooter can reduce this difficulty by one level per full round spent "aiming". So eventually anyone can find the target.

Interesting. I like this, although I don't want to make them roll perception or whatever skill for every shot. That would slow the game down too much.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

Interesting. I like this, although I don't want to make them roll perception or whatever skill for every shot. That would slow the game down too much.

Me either. The basic rule of 2x medium and long was what they used in he old James Bond RPG. It had similar rules for pistol/folding stocks too. So something like Boba Fetts blaster isn't rfile, but a blaster pistol with a stock.

CORPS also had a neat rule for scopes. It did require a roll, and the more powerful the scope the longer it too to site in on he target. It was a bit more complicated, but it allowed for greatly improved ranges.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

Me either. The basic rule of 2x medium and long was what they used in he old James Bond RPG. It had similar rules for pistol/folding stocks too. So something like Boba Fetts blaster isn't rfile, but a blaster pistol with a stock.

CORPS also had a neat rule for scopes. It did require a roll, and the more powerful the scope the longer it too to site in on he target. It was a bit more complicated, but it allowed for greatly improved ranges.

So maybe we should make up or adapt rules for two different kinds of scopes:

Reflex scopes, like the modern ACOG and most red dot scopes, would provide small multiplier bonuses for medium and long range without a roll.

Sniper scopes, like the modern $3,500 ones, would require a roll, but in addition to a modifier to the medium and long range, they would add an extreme range limit. (the terminal range of the blaster bolt or bullet)

I suppose it would also make sense to have the damage of a weapon reduced by 1D at extreme range to account for bolt dissipation or ballistic drag. Also, no auto fire bonuses at extreme range, without something special like a massive gyroscopic stabilizer...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was to work, we would then have to come up with maximum ranges vice max effective ranges for all weapons.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could simplify the max range versus max effective range by just doubling max effective or some such. Would be an easy and quick fix. Perhaps anything past 2x long range suffers a damage penalty?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing though. Not every weapon has it's effective range at 50% of max
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. But is it really worth going through the headache of looking at every weapon to make a case by case decision? That would be a lot of work (as well as a lot of debate).

IMHO it is better to simplify and make it a percentage that applies to everything. It won't be 100% correct, but it will save a lot of headaches.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right. Better a game rule that allows for quick application and cinematic effect than something that is complicated and drags out the action all for the sake of realistic effect.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could probably develop some rules of thumb, though. Maybe blasters are 2x, slugthrowers are 3x, disruptors are 1.1x, laser rifles are 3.5x or whatever...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
We could probably develop some rules of thumb, though. Maybe blasters are 2x, slugthrowers are 3x, disruptors are 1.1x, laser rifles are 3.5x or whatever...

So, the multiplier would be applied to all the weapon's range brackets? If that works for you, OK, but it sounds like too much multiplication for me, especially on the fly. I'd rather go with the Scope adding an Extreme range that is 3x or 4x the value of Long Range.

Of course, ideally, I'd like to do away with range numbers altogether...

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

So, the multiplier would be applied to all the weapon's range brackets? If that works for you, OK, but it sounds like too much multiplication for me, especially on the fly. I'd rather go with the Scope adding an Extreme range that is 3x or 4x the value of Long Range.

No, I meant the multipliers would be used on long range to create extreme range. The numbers look a little odd because I just pulled them out of the rear end of a bantha...

I'm starting to think, though, that another system may work better... I'd like to come up with extreme range brackets to account for bolts fizzling out at range, but I wonder if a scope should have it's own range values for targeting that the weapon adopts. This way a scope wouldn't increase the medium range of a disruptor by 1m, while increasing the medium range of a blaster rifle by 20m...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: