The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Highligh, or Jai alai
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Highligh, or Jai alai Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Highligh, or Jai alai Reply with quote

Over on wikipedia there is mention of this sport
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jai_alai which has clocked balls being thrown at over 300kmh.

A while back (14+ years), while watching some korean war documentaries, some soldiers used these baskets to lob grenades a LOT further than they would normally be able to go.

So if in a SW setting, someone had one of these, what range mods would be placed on grenades being tossed? What would the damage be from a ball slung into someone? Would it still be thrown weapons?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Highligh, or Jai alai Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So if in a SW setting, someone had one of these, what range mods would be placed on grenades being tossed?

Well, a properly wielded jai alai cestae can hurl a ball at around twice the speed that the fastest pro-baseball pitchers can manage. I don't know if the WEG rule of a maximum 10-meter range for throwing a grenade is accurate, but if I had to come up with a rule off the top of my head, I would say double the speed, double the range, so, 20 meters...

Quote:
What would the damage be from a ball slung into someone? Would it still be thrown weapons?

Yes, it would still be Thrown Weapons, because you are still using a throwing action. As to the damage? Depends what you're throwing, and how hard you are throwing it...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The principle is the same as that of the atl-atl. Increasing the lever arm, mutiplies the force so velocity and range increase.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what would a good multiplier be? Looking in Gry's weapons book, we see most grenades have a 'thrown' range of 40m..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Atlatl's in Runequest gave a bonus of Atlatl +1D6 to the damage of darts and javelins and +10m to effective range and +20m to max range. They did slow the ROF however to 1/round (about half the normal ROF).

Dart: 1D6 damage with a 20m effective / 30m max range

Javelin: 1D10 damage with a 20m effective / 50m max range

So the atlatl damage add was pretty significant.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Highligh, or Jai alai Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I don't know if the WEG rule of a maximum 10-meter range for throwing a grenade is accurate, but if I had to come up with a rule off the top of my head, I would say double the speed, double the range, so, 20 meters...
I don't think it is accurate. Modern frag grenades can have 20 m lethal radii to un-armored standing targets, which would put a grenade "uncomfortable close" to the thrower... Besides, can you throw a fist-sized rock more than 33 feet? I sure can. I'd probably put grenades at a 20-30 meter max range, with a 2-3x boost for using a flinger of any kind.
crmcneill wrote:

Quote:
What would the damage be from a ball slung into someone? Would it still be thrown weapons?

Yes, it would still be Thrown Weapons, because you are still using a throwing action. As to the damage? Depends what you're throwing, and how hard you are throwing it...
crmcneill wrote:
Well, a properly wielded jai alai cestae can hurl a ball at around twice the speed that the fastest pro-baseball pitchers can manage.
Energy=mass X velocity squared, so a doubling of velocity would yield a 4-fold increase in power. Roughly 2D.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt that throwing ranges should be based on the throwing character's strength. Maybe a base of 10 (as suggested by WEG), plus the character's Strength roll in meters?

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I've always felt that throwing ranges should be based on the throwing character's strength. Maybe a base of 10 (as suggested by WEG), plus the character's Strength roll in meters?

That makes sense. It may still come up short, and it should also be affected by the projectile weight.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

That makes sense. It may still come up short, and it should also be affected by the projectile weight.

Rather than the projectile weight, just use the WEG base range number as an indicator of the combined factors of weight and aerodynamics.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Rather than the projectile weight, just use the WEG base range number as an indicator of the combined factors of weight and aerodynamics.

Well okay, but only if you can throw a bowling ball as far as you can throw a baseball...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Well okay, but only if you can throw a bowling ball as far as you can throw a baseball...

I'm just pointing out that a thermal detonator is larger than a grenade, but it also can't be thrown as far. That being said, baring the possibility that I'm missing something, the WEG throwing range could be a good indicator of an object's aerodynamics and weight resistance when thrown.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

I think the range should be more dependent upon the thrower's thrown weapons or grenade skill (respectively). A pro pitcher can throw a ball faster (and therefore farther) than a pro wrestler. Technique has a lot to do with how fast/far the object travels.

I do believe that strength plays a part (caber tossing, for example), just not as significant a part as skill. Unless you want to get really serious and factor in both strength and skill and mass and Cd of the object... I'd say, just allow an increase to the base range according to the number of dice the thrower has in the skill. Bonuses for slings/atlatls would stack, as well.

If you do want strength to play a part, I would recommend using strength as the limiting factor for what you can effectively use as a thrown weapon (even if it is improvised).
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

If you do want strength to play a part, I would recommend using strength as the limiting factor for what you can effectively use as a thrown weapon (even if it is improvised).

Does this mean my AT-AT throwing tactic is out? Wink

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you'd need AT LEAST 3D+1 strength to be able to lift and throw an AT-AT. When you max out a 4D, you can manage a star destroyer as a thrown weapon, and if you spend a Force point, you can throw the death star.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'd say you'd need AT LEAST 3D+1 strength to be able to lift and throw an AT-AT. When you max out a 4D, you can manage a star destroyer as a thrown weapon, and if you spend a Force point, you can throw the death star.
Time to save up for attribute improvements!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: