The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dueling Sabers Feedback & Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dueling Sabers Feedback & Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much say does the character/player get in the result? Was Anakin "surprised" when he chopped off Dooku's hands? Both Mace Windu and Yoda disarmed Palpatine. Was it a result of a randomized roll and chart consultation, or did skill and deliberate action play a part?

Obi-Wan chopped off three of Anikin's limbs. We know that he is fond of doing so as we have seen him do it several times... how does he always roll the same result on the chart?

Im not knocking it. I just dont understand why the player's intent to knock down or push back or decapitate or whatever should be less influential on the "effect on the target."

Let me go back and re-read...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Ive finished page 3 so far and it seems I misunderstood the original intent.

Pending the rest of the content in the thread, I would like to see this streamlined A LOT. But I love the idea.

Ive played with ideas for form 4 in particular and I struggle to come up with something that expresses the unity of acrobatics and saber combat fluidly.

The discussion on Ahsoka I found particularly interesting, especially with regard to stunts.

Ive also posted a few ideas about the seven forms, and reading through the first few pages has inspired me to revisit the ideas and try some new things.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
How much say does the character/player get in the result? Was Anakin "surprised" when he chopped off Dooku's hands? Both Mace Windu and Yoda disarmed Palpatine. Was it a result of a randomized roll and chart consultation, or did skill and deliberate action play a part?

Well, we can't know the character's intentions based solely on the films, but if you accept the film novel adaptations as canon, it provides some insight. In both instances you describe, the character chose to perform the action that resulted in limbs getting chopped off. In Obi-wan's case, there was some suggestion of the Force guiding him to that result, but it was more prominent that he did it intentionally.

As far as the rules, something I may not have made clear is that a character may choose to downgrade his result, as in, he rolled a Killed result, so he can take the Killed result, or he can choose to downgrade to something less. IIRC, there is a rule listed in the 2R&E book stating that a Jedi who hits someone with a lightsaber and gets a Killed result can choose to downgrade that result to Maimed (i.e. permanently disfigured or disabled instead of killed).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

As far as the rules, something I may not have made clear is that a character may choose to downgrade his result, as in, he rolled a Killed result, so he can take the Killed result, or he can choose to downgrade to something less. IIRC, there is a rule listed in the 2R&E book stating that a Jedi who hits someone with a lightsaber and gets a Killed result can choose to downgrade that result to Maimed (i.e. permanently disfigured or disabled instead of killed).

Rgr that, it is something I failed to put into my HRs, but will add. Probably even giving a bonus to someone that purposely limits himself before the roll. However, even with that, I'll need to add a statement about a character being able to restrict a death blow to something less lethal ... unless ... they are angry etc .... Hmmmm let me think on it ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, how about this:

A Jedi can elect to limit the damage if they desire. Maiming or severely wounding an opponent instead of automatically killing them. If the Jedi so chooses, the opponent will live but be unable to continue the duel (or combat) and is at the mercy of the Jedi. The specific results will be narrated by either/or the player and the GM.

However, If a Jedi has at any time during the duel (or combat) called on the dark side, he will be unable to hold back the desire to deliver the killing stroke. This will more than likely open the Jedi up to a point(s) of corruption

If the Jedi at anytime during the duel failed a willpower check, he will have to make a willpower check (base difficulty of moderate, + 1 per every willpower check the Jedi was forced to make during the duel) in order to avoid feeding into the built up frustration from the duel and delivering a killing blow. If the will power check is successful, the Jedi can choose to either maim or severely wound the opponent, as above; however, if the will power check fails the blow will be a killing stroke. This my sadden the Jedi, but will not automatically open the Jedi up to corruption.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hesitant to mandate character action without giving them an opportunity to avoid it with a roll.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I'm hesitant to mandate character action without giving them an opportunity to avoid it with a roll.

I am too, but ..... as I tell my cadets "actions have consequences" ... The player would have voluntarily decided to call on the dark side, which to me is opening themselves up to wrath and ruin. If you don't want to risk giving a killing stroke in combat, don't call on the dark side in said combat.

I did give an out for someone that is just frustrated. Make a willpower to stay in control. Plus, even if they fail the willpower check, and kill the opponent, they still don't get a corruption point.

Boy, as I look at the rules I put here, willpower is becoming very important

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens if the character is not a Jedi? Can they choose to maime even if they are angry? Can a sith EVER choose to maime? Dooku maimed both Analin and Obi-Wan...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
The player would have voluntarily decided to call on the dark side, which to me is opening th If you don't want to risk giving a killing stroke in combat, don't call on the dark side in said combat.

I would refer to film evidence; it is likely that Luke picked up a DSP when he brought down Vader in ROTJ, yet he ultimately held back from the killing blow. How this would play out in a gaming situation is up for debate, but allowing characters to have a chance of staying their hand at the climactic moment is very much a facet of Star Wars. I would likely tie it in with Willpower, but that concept has met with some controversy here in the past.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
What happens if the character is not a Jedi? Can they choose to maime even if they are angry? Can a sith EVER choose to maime? Dooku maimed both Analin and Obi-Wan...

I think you answered your own question. Wink

The original Dueling Blades didn't place restrictions on it; if you rolled a result, you could choose to go for a lesser result. I prefer the idea of a character declaring their desired result before the roll...

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Such hard questions... can't you keep them simple easy "this is a great idea" statements Wink

Of course they can maim, like you pointed out Dooku did it, Vader did it so it is a no brainer. Soooooo how do we represent it in the rules ??? I don't know ... (see below comment)

crmcneill wrote:

I would refer to film evidence; it is likely that Luke picked up a DSP when he brought down Vader in ROTJ, yet he ultimately held back from the killing blow. How this would play out in a gaming situation is up for debate, but allowing characters to have a chance of staying their hand at the climactic moment is very much a facet of Star Wars. I would likely tie it in with Willpower, but that concept has met with some controversy here in the past.

Part of me wants to cede the point, ... but ... again, actions have consequences ... I don't know. Calling on the dark side should open more doors to corrupt the character.

The player, should self limit it before they roll if they are worried. If they do, then the risk isn't there of them giving in and killing the opponent. If they loose themselves into the heat of the moment ... I don't know ...

I know from real life, normally, combat you go numb but don't hate. Mental scars are left but there is that bit that is left that is still 'good'. However, there are times that HATE feeds in and dark doors are crossed ... when that happens things feed into it and it goes from bad to worse and lives are truly changed ... With that, if a player opens themselves up to darkness ...

Why can't all players just be good guys and not cause moral quandaries Laughing

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real point of my question was to address the issue of emotions overruling conscious.

Its wel within the spirit of Star Wars to hold Jedi to a higher standard. But the ideas presented above suggest that being a Jedi somehow makes a person less able to make choices.

That is, when a darkside point is on the line, why all of a sudden does willpower pop up? A regular person who is fighting angry may not be at risk of earning a darkside point. But does that mean he cannot choose to maime? Whereas a Sith is always being powered by his passions, and yet Dooku maimed twice in a row. He could have easily killed Anakin instead of shoving him back.

He WAS about to kill Obi-Wan, so that maiming may have been simply incidental. But Anakin was easy pickin's.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I think we are closer on this than we think.

Anyone can self limit before they toss the dice. Jedi, Sith, Gray, or whatever. Call on the dark side 100 times, it doesn’t matter. Self limit for maiming or disarming before the dice are tossed and you don’t have to worry about killing the opponent.

It is only when one has called on the dark side that he has to truly worry about it. They willingly embraced, even for a second, evil and hate. So, when in the heat of the battle they may forget to hold back that fraction that is the difference between disarming, maiming or killing. Even then, as I mentioned above, if they self limit before tossing the dice (showing that the player has kept his wits about him so the character has too kept his wits about him)they are in control enough to not kill the opponent it they want to.

Also, a Sith or a Dark Force user will only be an NPC, so the GM can ‘self limit’ when he wants. Remember the cardinal rule, ignore the rules for a good narrative. Unless you are allowing a Sith or Dark user to be played, you can focus on the narrative you want and just worry about the Jedi (player) needing to remember to self limit before the dice are tossed. If the story is better by the Sith maiming the player and then taunting him for a bit, he self-limited. If the Jedi player bit off more than he should have – trying to duel Vader and not disengaging when he had a chance – then the Sith doesn’t self limit and the dice fall where they will.

However, if you are allowing a player to be a Sith or Dark Side user, … it is way outside my style of playing. It would be your game, so house rule it as you feel right.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think that if the player perccieves that his character is about to die, or suffer some terrible fate, then he may be more tempted to call on the dark side. The GM could even offer freebies to simulate the "easy way."

If the character, for example, were stuck in a situation where death was immenant and certain, and he cannot figure out how to solve the problem, the GM might say something like: "Force Lightning could get you out of this" (or drain energy or some other power that grants automatic dsp).

If the player is out of Force points, thee GM could offer a Force point in exchange for a moderate control roll, and then, when the total is rolled, the GM could describe the surge of fear/anxiety/anger etc that is powering him. At this pooint, the character should be subtly offered a chance to decline the bonus...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is an aspect of being connected to the Force that escapes not only non-FS characters, but ourselves as players. We can intellectually understand the concept of being able to control and interact with an energy field like the Force, but to actually feel it? I can't even imagine the sense of power that would come with being able to do what Jedi do. I think the Jedi's potential to lose control in this situation has nothing to do with them being mentally weaker, but rather it is because, in that moment, they can feel the Force offering power beyond anything we can imagine, and in that moment, a Jedi is sorely tempted to reach out and take it. That's why Willpower comes into play: because it is how the Jedi says no and steps back from the power that is being offered to him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: