The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Odd Firearm stat question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Odd Firearm stat question Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't an assisted recoil be less of a modifier than the conventional recoil? Did you accidentally swap the values, or am I missing something?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall that is one of the most reasonable firearms I've seen created in a while. Two questions/comments do occur to me though.
(1) What does the Gauss assist do?
Generally I think of Gauss guns as firing a very small projectile at an extremely high velocity. IIR, at least in Sci Fi they don't have a particularly high recoil compared to conventional firearms. This makes me wonder if you should drop or lower the recoil if it is really a Guass gun. On the other hand this doesn't seem in keeping with the big pistol notion that you started with, hence my confusion.

(2) I assume the weapon must be very high or extreme velocity to have ranges out to 200m or 300m. I would think that for a pistol, unless you add some type of shoulder stock add, gun rest, or other very stable stance, that it would be hard to be very accurate out past 100m. And those sorts of solutions would prevent dodge as an option. How do you see accuracy occuring out to 150m+ distances?

(3) One handgun that has always seemed interesting was a gyrojet pistol (or carbine or rifle). Basically it fire rockets, so the initial recoil is practically non existence and the ammo can include HE and penetrator rounds. Not as useful as a regular pistol at point-blank range, but more accurate and delivering more energy at longer ranges and pointing the barrel of a weapon that fires a 13mm rocket has to look pretty darn intimidating.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't an assisted recoil be less of a modifier than the conventional recoil? Did you accidentally swap the values, or am I missing something?
Bren wrote:
Overall that is one of the most reasonable firearms I've seen created in a while. Two questions/comments do occur to me though.
(1) What does the Gauss assist do?
Generally I think of Gauss guns as firing a very small projectile at an extremely high velocity. IIR, at least in Sci Fi they don't have a particularly high recoil compared to conventional firearms. This makes me wonder if you should drop or lower the recoil if it is really a Guass gun. On the other hand this doesn't seem in keeping with the big pistol notion that you started with, hence my confusion.
The weapon fires conventional bullets the same way ours do, but you can select the "Gauss assist" which magnetically boosts the muzzle velocity, (increasing range, damage, and recoil.)
Bren wrote:

(2) I assume the weapon must be very high or extreme velocity to have ranges out to 200m or 300m. I would think that for a pistol, unless you add some type of shoulder stock add, gun rest, or other very stable stance, that it would be hard to be very accurate out past 100m. And those sorts of solutions would prevent dodge as an option. How do you see accuracy occuring out to 150m+ distances?
I figure about 1750 fps unassisted, and 2750 with the Gauss assist. A real 30.06 cartridge has a medium range of 400 yards, and was designed to be effective out to 1,000 yards. Obviously, a handgun has less range, but it's still up there.
Bren wrote:

(3) One handgun that has always seemed interesting was a gyrojet pistol (or carbine or rifle). Basically it fire rockets, so the initial recoil is practically non existence and the ammo can include HE and penetrator rounds. Not as useful as a regular pistol at point-blank range, but more accurate and delivering more energy at longer ranges and pointing the barrel of a weapon that fires a 13mm rocket has to look pretty darn intimidating.

Great minds think alike. I've been planning this gun's fat big brother that shoots rockets!

Complete Starship Construction System
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhammer 40,000 makes extensive use of gyrojets known as bolters (or bolt pistols, heavy bolters etc...) checking out the fluff for that might be a good way to start down that path.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Warhammer 40,000 makes extensive use of gyrojets known as bolters (or bolt pistols, heavy bolters etc...) checking out the fluff for that might be a good way to start down that path.
As a name, "bolter" fails to inspire me. It reminds me of Traveller's "slug throwers." Calling the weapon a gyrojet or rocket pistol sounds a lot cooler to me. Warhammer seems a popular game though, so clearly YMMV. Wink
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't argue about the name, it isn't as impressive as it could have been especially given how cool gyrojet sounds.

However they have plenty of wiki pages about the hardware and a good wealth of stories to draw on for effect.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gyrojets have two advantages over that.
(1) They are real weapons originally produced in the 1960s and few saw service in Vietnam. Fictionally, one appeared in the James Bond book and film You Only Live Twice. James Bond is, by definition, cool.
(2) Updated versions of them are featured in Gordon Dickson's Dorsai stories and in Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat stories.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the praise.. and i like the new roll out of the weapon..

As a suggestion. Take a look at the stats for the Magna caster (galladiniums).. It is a magnetic coil launcher of metallic crossbow bolts.. BUT it has drawbacks in if shocked a bit loses power..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Esoomian wrote:
As a name, "bolter" fails to inspire me. It reminds me of Traveller's "slug throwers." Calling the weapon a gyrojet or rocket pistol sounds a lot cooler to me. Warhammer seems a popular game though, so clearly YMMV. Wink

Well, the Bolter isnt a 'true' gyrojet, but is essentially a combination of a 'conventional' .75 firearm and a miniature rocket laucher.

Heres some info:
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Bolter
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, I tent to think of it as such because 40K already has rocket launchers as well.

Even without the spinning projectiles the ammunition would be fairly expensive.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
That's true, I tent to think of it as such because 40K already has rocket launchers as well.

Even without the spinning projectiles the ammunition would be fairly expensive.

The funny thing from the 'fact page' is that it mentions that the combination between conventional firearm and a 'gyrojet' was because of the high pressure the self propelled ammunition created in the barrel. The thing is that conventional firearms create much higher pressures. That was one of the (few) advantages of gyrojets.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, here's a picture! Remember, the overall length is 17 1/8 inches!

Last edited by Fallon Kell on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally don't like revolvers but that is KEWL!
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I normally don't like revolvers but that is KEWL!

Why thank you!

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I llike the look. I might use that for the dependent NPC in our game who uses gunpowder firearms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: