The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Odd Firearm stat question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Odd Firearm stat question Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Odd Firearm stat question Reply with quote

Okay, so this may seem a bit odd, (and painful to those with real-world knowledge,) but I'm trying to come up with range and damage stats for a revolver with a 10 inch barrel, chambered in .30-06 with heavy bullets.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 30.6 round, i would go with a pistol version of my hunting rifle..

Type: Heavy hunting pistol, Slugthrower
Scale: Firearms (s) Pistols
Ammo: 5 round revolver drum
Cost: 500 credits. Ammo – 80 credits per 50 rounds. Spare clip – 100 credits.
Availability: 1F, deep core is 1R
Fire rate: 2.
Damage: 4d+1
Range: 5-30/60/120
Recoil value: +4.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For a 30.6 round, i would go with a pistol version of my hunting rifle..

Type: Heavy hunting pistol, Slugthrower
Ammo: 5 round revolver drum
Cost: 500 credits. Ammo – 80 credits per 50 rounds. Spare clip – 100 credits.
Availability: 1F, deep core is 1R
Fire rate: 2.
Damage: 4d+1
Range: 5-30/60/120
Recoil value: +4.

Recoil value?

Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recoil is something Star Wars never had for its slugthrowers but should have. Want to pump out more than one shot from some slugthrowers? Well you'll have to contend with the weapon jumping around from previous shots you've fired.

I'm guessing, if it's anything even remotely like the recoil that I use for weapons, it's added to the difficulty when firing the weapon.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Recoil is something Star Wars never had for its slugthrowers but should have. Want to pump out more than one shot from some slugthrowers? Well you'll have to contend with the weapon jumping around from previous shots you've fired.

I'm guessing, if it's anything even remotely like the recoil that I use for weapons, it's added to the difficulty when firing the weapon.

Good point. So how would that work in D6 rules?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:

So why the low fire rate too? I know you need a big gun for this type of thing, but does it really take 2 seconds for the cylinder to turn to the next chamber?

Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slow rate of fire I can't speak for, honestly. *shrug*

As for how it would work in D6; this is how I work it:

For any additional shots in the same round, over the first, add in the recoil value to the difficulty to hit (as well as subtracting dice for multiple actions).

So if you have a weapon with a recoil of +4, you fire one shot, everything is basic. If you want to fire two shots in a round, you suffer -1D for two actions, but you also suffer a +4 to the difficulty to hit the target on the second shot due to recoil.

Again, I'm not sure if this is exactly how garhkal works the rules, but that's how I do. His version might be slightly different than mine.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:

That it is..

EG Therlm the sniper has taken aim at a guard in a tower. The guard is near the outer end of medium range (moderate diff, 13), and has, cause of the tower's parapets 50% cover (+2d, 8 rolled) for a total of 21 needed to hit him. BUT his rifle's recoil value is +4.. So to successfully shot him, Therlm needs to rol 25 on his to hit roll.

Quote:
Again, I'm not sure if this is exactly how garhkal works the rules, but that's how I do. His version might be slightly different than mine.

With me, the recoil value applies to every shot.

As to the low RoF.. i could see upping it to 4...
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

ive seen a few of these customized to shoot the .308 round (7.62x51mm NATO)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_PLR-16

so why the revolver style?

or were you going for that classic wild west look? if ya want a giant over powered revolver try this:

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/03/brad-kozak/dirty-harry-eat-your-heart-out/

this seems to fit the idea of what youre looking for in a gun but is much more powerful than the .30-06 (7.62x63mm), though it might be slower than the .30-06 it hits with much greater force. personally id put the stats as:

Pfeifer- Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum
Type: most powerful slugthrower in the universe
Ammo: 5 round revolver
Cost: 18,467 credits. Ammo – 40 credits per round
Availability: 4r
Fire rate: 1
Damage: 7D
Range: 1-15/50/100
Recoil value: +7-8 (7591 ft/lbs muzzle energy)

official wikipedia entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeifer_Zeliska_.600_Nitro_Express_revolver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.600_Nitro_Express

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers

Last edited by thedemonapostle on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Grimace wrote:

That it is..

EG Therlm the sniper has taken aim at a guard in a tower. The guard is near the outer end of medium range (moderate diff, 13), and has, cause of the tower's parapets 50% cover (+2d, 8 rolled) for a total of 21 needed to hit him. BUT his rifle's recoil value is +4.. So to successfully shot him, Therlm needs to rol 25 on his to hit roll.

Quote:

With me, the recoil value applies to every shot.

As to the low RoF.. i could see upping it to 4...

So why does the recoil increase the difficulty of the first shot? It only takes about a 5/10,000 of a second for the bullet to leave the barrel, and I'd be surprised to see the shot get that much harder during that time.
thedemonapostle wrote:
ive seen a few of these customized to shoot the .308 round (7.62x51mm NATO)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kel-Tec_PLR-16

so why the revolver style?

or were you going for that classic wild west look? if ya want a giant over powered revolver try this:

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/03/brad-kozak/dirty-harry-eat-your-heart-out/

this seems to fit the idea of what youre looking for in a gun but is much more powerful than the .30-06 (7.62x63mm), though it might be slower than the .30-06 it hits with much greater force. personally id put the stats as:

Pfeifer- Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum
Type: most powerful slugthrower in the universe
Ammo: 5 round revolver
Cost: 18,467 credits. Ammo – 40 credits per round
Availability: 4r
Fire rate: 1
Damage: 7D
Range: 1-15/50/100
Recoil value: +7-8 (7591 ft/lbs muzzle energy)

official wikipedia entries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeifer_Zeliska_.600_Nitro_Express_revolver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.600_Nitro_Express

I find a good baseline for sci-fi firearms is "slightly more powerful than practical". Knowing that .30-06 is popular for being at the top of the recoil spectrum for most shooters, and that the Magnum Research BFR can be chambered in .30-30, I decided .30-06 would be the right chamber size for my NPCs. (I also like the look 2 inch x 3.5 inch 7 round cylinder I drew for it!) I was aware of the Zeliska, but it's a little too big for these purposes.

I chose a revolver because of their simplicity and reliability. The guys carrying them will be from a volcanic ash-choked world that has been at intercontinental war for centuries. As you seem to be experienced in the military and with firearms, I think you can appreciate the value of a reliable firearm in such an environment, and the AK-47 simply isn't accurate enough!

(And the old west/space cowboy look is a major plus.)

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
So why does the recoil increase the difficulty of the first shot? It only takes about a 5/10,000 of a second for the bullet to leave the barrel, and I'd be surprised to see the shot get that much harder during that time.

I could see it if it was a psychological thing, the person firing the gun knowing there is going to be a kick and leaning into the recoil too early or something like that.

However by that logic someone who has no concept or recoil should be able to get that first shot off without the recoil modifier but may injure themselves in the process.

A friend of mine has a scar on his face from where the recoil of a rifle pushed the scope back into him.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
personally id put the stats as:

The gun looks like a monster, but I'm not sure I'd put it at the same Damage as a disruptor pistol. Even maximum strength blaster pistols like the Thunderer only get as high as 6D+2.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you looked at the taurus judge? it seems like it could provide a lot of assistance for what youre doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

it shoots .45colt or .410 bore

also i know theres a russian pistol that shoots a rifle round
keep in mind the AK-47 series of rifles shoots a 7.62x39mm cartridge

these pistols shoot a 7.62x42mm sp-4
http://dailygunpictures.blogspot.com/2009/11/ots-38-russian-revolver.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSS_Silent_Pistol

also found this for ya to help keep the recoil argument alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMnvlKr6k8

also depending on how in depth you want to go, you might have to consider that the .30-06 round was designed for a rifle. so being fired out of a pistol accuracy, range, penetration and yes recoil will all be affected by being shot out of a pistol.

Last edited by thedemonapostle on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
thedemonapostle wrote:
personally id put the stats as:

The gun looks like a monster, but I'm not sure I'd put it at the same Damage as a disruptor pistol. Even maximum strength blaster pistols like the Thunderer only get as high as 6D+2.

i took every blaster i knew of, which is considerable, and i kept the shatter gun in mind as well when i put the damage for it at 7D. why so high? why is it roughly the same as a medium repeating blaster? simple, it is a huge and heavy round hitting with similar force as a professional boxer/mma fighter but with a smaller surface area thus allowing for greater penetration of soft tissues. but as we all know that the armor in star wars is more resistant to firearms than modern armors, which led to the downfall of fire arms and the rise of blasters. so even using the thunderer and the Zeliska against a standard storm trooper, the thunderer would do more damage. even without using the firearms damage modifications against modern armors rules.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedemonapostle wrote:
have you looked at the taurus judge? it seems like it could provide a lot of assistance for what youre doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge

it shoots .45colt or .410 bore

also i know theres a russian pistol that shoots a rifle round
keep in mind the AK-47 series of rifles shoots a 7.62x39mm cartridge

these pistols shoot a 7.62x42mm sp-4
http://dailygunpictures.blogspot.com/2009/11/ots-38-russian-revolver.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSS_Silent_Pistol

also found this for ya to help keep the recoil argument alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMnvlKr6k8

also depending on how in depth you want to go, you might have to consider that the .30-06 round was designed for a rifle. so being fired out of a pistol accuracy, range, penetration and yes recoil will all be affected by being shot out of a pistol.

I do like the judge!

Anyways, .30-06 is the baseline I'm using. The actual ammo used will be different in the game, but only slightly. For example, a .30-06s' nominal caliber is .30, but the actual bullet diameter is .308 inches. Mine is .310 inches. There will be other minor changes, too.

I was also considering that it would have different characteristics fired from a revolver than a rifle. I took care in the original post to mention the barrel length at 10 inches, and that it was a revolver. (gasses can escape through the gap between the cylinder and the barrel, costing muzzle energy.)

I made up the gun I want, but I didn't really know what the stats should look like... Thank you though to garhkal and thedemonapostle for your suggestions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: