The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Odd Firearm stat question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Odd Firearm stat question Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
... I was aware of the Zeliska, but it's a little too big for these purposes.
And in addition to the 6kg mass and nearly 2 foot length, there is the fact that "the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum would really be required to be fired whilst resting on a bench clamp or small sand bags" - which would be a bit inconvenient in most fire fights.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
And in addition to the 6kg mass and nearly 2 foot length, there is the fact that "the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum would really be required to be fired whilst resting on a bench clamp or small sand bags" - which would be a bit inconvenient in most fire fights.

Of course, if someone were to design a firearm for the SWU rather than crossing over a gun from the RW, they could design in some repulsor-based anti-recoil system that would allow the gun to be fired normally...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Of course, if someone were to design a firearm for the SWU rather than crossing over a gun from the RW, they could design in some repulsor-based anti-recoil system that would allow the gun to be fired normally...
A hovering handgun. Weird and wacky, but potentially interesting.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
A hovering handgun. Weird and wacky, but potentially interesting.

I was thinking more along the lines of repulsorlift as a recoil absorption system, so that when the gun fires, the repulsorlift triggers a burst in the opposite direction to cancel out massive recoil. Sort of like a micro-version of the acceleration compensator built into vehicles...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 30.06 revolver is interesting and I've actually played with the idea of revolver blasters in D6SW... It was a fun experiment.

As for recoil, I would have to assert that recoil should not at all affect the first shot. Especially if the shooter is going to specialize in the weapon. Second, with the revolvers (in case you want this level of detail) you would need to determine what "feel" you're going for. Will it be a double action/single action, double action only, or single action only?

In effect, DA/SA can be manually cocked to reduce the amount of trigger squeeze necessary (this DRAMATICALLY improves the ease of landing an accurate shot), or can be fired in DA for "rapid fire" necessity. Each pull of the trigger cocks and releases the hammer. The cocking of the trigger by this method increases both the tension on the trigger and the distance it must be pulled before the shot is fired.

Double action only means that no manual cocking is possible, and single action only means that you must manually cock the hammer before each shot.

This is different than semi-autos because the "auto" in semi-auto refers to the weapon's ability to automatically load a round and cock its own hammer during recoil, thus setting up the user for the next shot.

The person who posted above is correct, though: recoil is totally irrelevant to the first shot: by the time the weapon moves, the bullet has probably already hit the target (depending on distance, of course).

For what it's worth, I'd imagine that 30.06 out of a pistol sized weapon would generate massive recoil... possibly to the point that only one accurate shot is possible per round (somewhat like a .500 S&W). It's one of the reasons why tactical units don't use giant caliber rounds such as .50 AE (desert eagle): too much recoil to get off quick follow up shots.

If that's what you're going for (the "flavor" of a big, trusty "hand" gun that is so powerful it knocks the shooter on his butt), I think it's cool. I created a bounty hunter NPC like that (he used very primitive blasters that required charging/cocking before each shot) just for the cool factor. Plus, it's scarier to the PCs for some reason.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZzzZzzzzZZZZzzZ...huh? Wut?!

Sorry, this was going to much into gun-nut territory details... Wink
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
A 30.06 revolver is interesting and I've actually played with the idea of revolver blasters in D6SW... It was a fun experiment.

As for recoil, I would have to assert that recoil should not at all affect the first shot. Especially if the shooter is going to specialize in the weapon. Second, with the revolvers (in case you want this level of detail) you would need to determine what "feel" you're going for. Will it be a double action/single action, double action only, or single action only?

In effect, DA/SA can be manually cocked to reduce the amount of trigger squeeze necessary (this DRAMATICALLY improves the ease of landing an accurate shot), or can be fired in DA for "rapid fire" necessity. Each pull of the trigger cocks and releases the hammer. The cocking of the trigger by this method increases both the tension on the trigger and the distance it must be pulled before the shot is fired.

Double action only means that no manual cocking is possible, and single action only means that you must manually cock the hammer before each shot.

This is different than semi-autos because the "auto" in semi-auto refers to the weapon's ability to automatically load a round and cock its own hammer during recoil, thus setting up the user for the next shot.

The person who posted above is correct, though: recoil is totally irrelevant to the first shot: by the time the weapon moves, the bullet has probably already hit the target (depending on distance, of course).

For what it's worth, I'd imagine that 30.06 out of a pistol sized weapon would generate massive recoil... possibly to the point that only one accurate shot is possible per round (somewhat like a .500 S&W). It's one of the reasons why tactical units don't use giant caliber rounds such as .50 AE (desert eagle): too much recoil to get off quick follow up shots.

If that's what you're going for (the "flavor" of a big, trusty "hand" gun that is so powerful it knocks the shooter on his butt), I think it's cool. I created a bounty hunter NPC like that (he used very primitive blasters that required charging/cocking before each shot) just for the cool factor. Plus, it's scarier to the PCs for some reason.

I'm going with the DA/SA. I want something that can be fired quickly, but you can pull back the hammer on for dramatic effect. (And also for a longer range shot.)
What I can't quite see is a weapon with recoil so great that you can only fire once per round. That's five seconds. Try pointing your finger like a gun, then snapping it up as you start a five second count. Even if your pretend recoil throws your gun hand back over your shoulder, it's liable to take less than 2 seconds to bring it back to the right direction. Five seconds is the kind of recoil penalty where you have to run back and pick up the gun that flew out of your hand!

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
What I can't quite see is a weapon with recoil so great that you can only fire once per round. That's five seconds.
Technically it is about 3-5 seconds. But I get your point. Possibly just double the MAP. So one shot is normal two shots is -2D6, 3 shots is -4D6 etc. That way there need not be any limit on ROF aside from skill and accuracy - you can empty the cylinder in one round if you don't mind all your shots effectively at 90-degress away from the target. Twisted Evil
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Technically it is about 3-5 seconds. But I get your point. Possibly just double the MAP.

Or apply the recoil value as an additional MAP penalty per shot.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

So why does the recoil increase the difficulty of the first shot? It only takes about a 5/10,000 of a second for the bullet to leave the barrel, and I'd be surprised to see the shot get that much harder during that time.

Have you ever been to a range> That recoil DOES mess up your shot if you are not trained to compensate for it, on single shot..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: medium caliber rifle round in a pistol Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

So why does the recoil increase the difficulty of the first shot? It only takes about a 5/10,000 of a second for the bullet to leave the barrel, and I'd be surprised to see the shot get that much harder during that time.

Have you ever been to a range> That recoil DOES mess up your shot if you are not trained to compensate for it, on single shot..

In that case perhaps the effect of recoild could be reduced by one pip for every dice a character has in the appropriate speciality.

So a character firing a weapon with a recoil rating of 4 who has firearms at 4D and a speciality in that firearm at 2D+2 would have a dicepool of 6D+2 and only need to deal with a recoil rating of 2.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a video of a .30-06 single shot pistol made by magnum research, the same guys that make the .50 desert eagle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMnvlKr6k8

the video clearly shows him using a stable platform to increase accuracy. is shows obvious recoil. the thing about recoil is that it removes your sight picture. to accurately shoot a weapon it is recommended to have a good sight picture. otherwise you can just hip fire and that takes years of practice to become proficient at. otherwise you can do whats be termed as "spray and pray" which is just rapid fire or cyclic fire in the hopeful general direction of the target and pray that of of the many rounds hits the target.

that said i still hold firm that recoil should have some kind of effect upon the user. unless you come up with some kind of recoil compensation thats built into the weapon. shadowrun has options that might help. also some real world guns use a recoiling barrel to help with recoil, but these are usually on larger caliber rifles.

just another thought, has anyone ever had a misfire happen to their players in game? im asking cause on the radio a dude took his girlfriend's gun out of her purse and put it down the front of his pants and shot his junk off and put a hole in his leg.
as a GM i enjoy doing that kind of stuff to uninformed players. also if theyre using full auto fire arms theres the risk of having a runaway gun, meaning the gun will continue to fire without the trigger pulled until it either jams and explodes or runs out of ammo. this condition is very similar to non-full auto weapons "cooking one off". which is defined as the weapon being too hot from over use and it ignites the round thus firing the weapon. the trigger does not have to be pulled for this to happen. these situations and others like them can be fun tools to add to the action and fun of the game.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Technically it is about 3-5 seconds.

You're right, but still, I could fire three rounds from a gun with 10-20 times the recoil of my buddy's 9mm in 3 seconds. Really, anything that's not strong enough to wrench the gun from my hands, I can cope with in a little more than a second.
garhkal wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

I've fired a few .22 rifles, a 16 gauge, a 12 gauge loaded with target, game, and deer slug loads, a Springfield XD 9mm, and a lever action .30-30. (Never been to a range, but around here you can just drive up into the hills.) I've never had recoil interfere with my first shot of a series. I've never had training beyond the basic "this is the safety, this is the bolt, the gun's always loaded, don't point it at anything you don't intend to destroy" stuff. The recoil takes effect after the bullet has left the barrel.

I'm pretty sure how I'll handle it is adding difficulty (probably about +3) to the second (or later) shot fired in a single round.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting suggestion on the skill specialty neutering some of the recoil, but is that not giving a double advantage to it since they already will be rolling higher?

Now some of the weapons do have a min str (to absorb the recoil) from, such as with the 2 heaviest sniper rifles. Don't have the min, each pip less, when you shoot it, you take 1d damage..

EG Barret.50 takes a 3d+2 to use effectively with no damage. A 2d pc could use it but each shot he would take 5d in damage..
There are recoil compensators which add 1d to your 'strength' rating for said damage avoidance.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Interesting suggestion on the skill specialty neutering some of the recoil, but is that not giving a double advantage to it since they already will be rolling higher?

Now some of the weapons do have a min str (to absorb the recoil) from, such as with the 2 heaviest sniper rifles. Don't have the min, each pip less, when you shoot it, you take 1d damage..

EG Barret.50 takes a 3d+2 to use effectively with no damage. A 2d pc could use it but each shot he would take 5d in damage..
There are recoil compensators which add 1d to your 'strength' rating for said damage avoidance.

Hmmm... I could see the big ATRs quickly beginning to deal more damage to the guy behind it than the guy in front of it under that system, but a .30-06 is well outside of the "hurt-yourself" range anyways.

So I'll post the drawing when I finish it, but I've decided on stats:
Quote:

Type: Gauss-assisted revolver
Skill: Firearms (s) Pistols
Ammo: 7 round cylinder, 10 shot battery
Cost: 650 credits. Ammo – 10 credits per 50 rounds. Speed loader - 10 credits
Availability: 4R, Wildspace: 2
Fire rate: Unlimited
Damage: 4d+1 conventional, 5D assisted.
Range: 5-30/60/200 conventional, 5-30/65/300 assisted
Recoil value: +3 conventional, +4 assisted.

Thanks to garhkal, whose hunting revolver stats these are based off of.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: