The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Static range for blasters and other ranged weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Static range for blasters and other ranged weapons Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Static range for blasters and other ranged weapons Reply with quote

Having been in the military for a while, ranged combat in almost every rpg bothers me a lot. One thing that a game like D6SW suffers from is the abstract interpretation of range and accuracy. And while a laser bolt would certainly have different ballistics than a bullet, I think it would be more fun to really differentiate between various weapon types to allow more of a decision to be made when it comes to picking the right weapon for the job.

Something I came up with was the following (a while after I wrote it, I was quite dismayed to see something similar in SAGA):

5 range categories consisting of Point Blank, Short, Medium, Long and Extreme.

Point blank range is 20 feet (or 7 meters, if you prefer), which is optimum pistol range, but other weapons do well from here, as well. Short range is where pistols can still be accurate but, short barreled, shoulder fired weapons such as sub-repeating blasters, and "scatterguns" (my Star Wars version of a shotgun) really shine here. Medium range is where carbines, battle rifles and the like really come into their own and long range is where sniper rifles shine. Crew served weapons, missile weapons and high quality sniper rifles do well here.

Point blank: 7 meters
Short: 25 meters
Medium: 150 meters
Long: 300 meters
Extreme: > 300 meters (penalties applied for each additional 100 meters).

The way it works is to provide a small bonus to a weapon that is being used within its optimum range, and penalties for shots happening outside its range. Whereas the RAW require you to keep track of range increments for each weapon individually, this version expresses superior or inferior accuracy/range with penalties and bonuses.

Of course, the biggest problem is giving the attacker a bonus when the defender must also roll a skill to avoid harm.

My first idea is to create a system where the range to the target gives the target a bonus on his dodge roll (assuming he knows he's being shot at).

The other thing this does is allow for different ranges to have static difficulties to hit the when shooting at unaware targets or inanimate objects.

A quick example:

A basic blaster pistol might have the following accuracy profile:
+3/+0/-10/miss/miss (this profile means that the pistol gets a +3 to hit at point blank range, a -10 at medium range and automatically misses beyond medium range). A battle rifle might have a profile like this: +0/+0/+2/+0/+0. The battle rifle does not provide a bonus up close because it's more clumsy than a pistol is but its longer sight radius and long barrel become advantages at longer ranges.

The range bonus to dodge might look something like this:
+0/+0/+2/+5/+10-->+5 (this chart shows that someone dodging a shot from point blank range gets a +0 bonus, but at extreme range gets a +10 bonus, which increases by an additional +5 for every 100 meters, since even the slightest movement at long range will spoil a shot.

A host of other house rules can go with it, such as rules for an advanced sniping skill, rules for "double tapping" etc.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, and I tried to come up with something similar a while back. Where I got hung up was converting the ranges of existing weapons to the static difficulty numbers.

Another aspect to consider is the effects of scale on range. Generally speaking, the larger a weapon is, the greater its maximum range, but also the increased difficulty of hitting something close. Using your system, my idea is that a Speeder-Scale weapon's Extreme range would be one range step beyond Extreme range for characters, but a character scale target would be able to get inside of Point-Blank range, and effectively be "under the guns." This shift would continue for every scale step so that Point Blank for Capital-Scale is Extreme for Character-Scale, but if the character could get close enough to move to Long range for Character-Scale, the Capital Scale weaponry couldn't target them.

It might even be useful to come up with another range step beyond Extreme to cover things that can be seen but not shot at, so that you can use sensors to detect something even if it isn't close enough to shoot at.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I7m not sold on this. Some things I don't like about:

1) Rifles not given a bonus at medium range. Or even at close. The longer site radius usually means that itis easier to hit something with a rifle, as long as the target isn't moving a lot. I think most people have a bert chance of hiting a target with a rifle than with a pistol over most ranges.

Maybe the weapon could get it's optimum bonus at optimum range, and the bonus drops 1 per range band, rather than just going to zero?

So a pistol would be +3/+2/+1/0/-1 and a rifle would be +0/+1/+2/+1/+0

2) 7m is too long for "point blank" range. Most shooting tend to occur at this range, and with a realtive poor number of hits.

3)I think the ranges would be better if they increased at a constant progression, rather than by random amounts. Something lke:

5m/25m/125m/625m/3125m.

Being at the high end of a range band could man using the high end of he difficulty scale, and being at the low end could mean using the lower number.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the specifics yet, but I've got to say that I really love the general idea of streamlining weapon ranges. The difficulty/bonus/penalty can vary per weapon type for each range, instead of the specific range increments for each weapon varying for each range/difficulty level. I think that would make combat move a little faster and easier because a GM can be a little more abstract and not have to always have a specific number of meters distance for each combatant. In other words, the PCs round the corner and the team of bounty hunters after them are down the street at a distance of "medium range". Wow, why didn't I think of that before!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I like it, and I tried to come up with something similar a while back. Where I got hung up was converting the ranges of existing weapons to the static difficulty numbers.

Another aspect to consider is the effects of scale on range. Generally speaking, the larger a weapon is, the greater its maximum range, but also the increased difficulty of hitting something close. Using your system, my idea is that a Speeder-Scale weapon's Extreme range would be one range step beyond Extreme range for characters, but a character scale target would be able to get inside of Point-Blank range, and effectively be "under the guns." This shift would continue for every scale step so that Point Blank for Capital-Scale is Extreme for Character-Scale, but if the character could get close enough to move to Long range for Character-Scale, the Capital Scale weaponry couldn't target them.

This is exactly what I was going for: a big giant machine gun mounted on a vehicle would suffer a penalty up close (or just be impossible to use) whereas at long distance it lays down a hail of firepower.

It might even be useful to come up with another range step beyond Extreme to cover things that can be seen but not shot at, so that you can use sensors to detect something even if it isn't close enough to shoot at.

This idea is exactly what I was going for. A heavy machine gun mounted on a vehicle is ineffective at very close ranges because it takes time to swing the weapon around, but at long ranges, smaller changes in the point of aim are magnified to greater distances, making them much more effective.

As for atgtxg's comments, the term "point blank" is just a place holder to represent the distance one might be firing if the battle took place in a room. Also, the accuracy of a pistol diminishes very rapidly compared to that of a rifle. The "no bonus" up close for the rifle represents the fact that a rifle is too unwieldy to acquire a target quickly within short distances, but something like an MP5 would have pistol-like accuracy at point blank range as well as carbine like accuracy at short range. A full sized rifle is the "basic" weapon (a battle rifle). A carbine would grant a small bonus up close, but a penalty (relative to it's rifle equivalent) at longer ranges.

So here's how it might look in my game:

Pistol: +3/+0/-10/miss/miss
Sub-repeating: +3/+3/-5/miss/miss
Scattergun: +2/+2/+5/miss/miss (at medium range, decrease damage)
Carbine: +2/+2/+0/-2/-10
Assault Rifle: +0/+0/+2/+0/-5 (usually has a higher ammo capacity and rate of fire than a battle rifle)
Battle Rifle: +0/+0/+2/+0/+0 (usually the base model that sniper rifles are developed from)
Precision Rifle: +0/+0/+3/+3/+2
Sniper Rifle: -10/-5/+2/+3/+2 (Sniper rifles have big scopes and tripods and other features that make them unwieldy at short range, but great at long range).

These numbers are kinda off the top of my head. I wanted to capture the idea that weapons are purpose built and that there is a reason to keep a pistol on your thigh other than just as a "concealable" weapon. It has real-world applications and is actually superior to a rifle in certain circumstances.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I like some of the ideas.

One minor quibble -
Naaman wrote:
Sniper Rifle: -10/-5/+2/+3/+2 (Sniper rifles have big scopes and tripods and other features that make them unwieldy at short range, but great at long range).
It doesn't make sense to me that a Precision Rifle is as good or superior to a Sniper Rifle at all ranges. If that were the case, snipers would carry Precision Rifles.

One question - are the bonuses intended to be +3 pips or +3D6? The latter seems pretty high, but the former seems a bit low, especially for a +1.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
This idea is exactly what I was going for. A heavy machine gun mounted on a vehicle is ineffective at very close ranges because it takes time to swing the weapon around, but at long ranges, smaller changes in the point of aim are magnified to greater distances, making them much more effective.

In addition, the body of the vehicle itself will create blind spots. This plays in to an idea I've had about starfighters being able to get inside Point Blank range on Capital Ships in space combat...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
So here's how it might look in my game:

Pistol: +3/+0/-10/miss/miss
Sub-repeating: +3/+3/-5/miss/miss
Scattergun: +2/+2/+5/miss/miss (at medium range, decrease damage)
Carbine: +2/+2/+0/-2/-10
Assault Rifle: +0/+0/+2/+0/-5 (usually has a higher ammo capacity and rate of fire than a battle rifle)
Battle Rifle: +0/+0/+2/+0/+0 (usually the base model that sniper rifles are developed from)

Hmmm. The version I did used base difficulty modifiers, so that it used the same base To Hit difficulty rules listed in the RAW, but then applied a modifier depending on how effective the weapon would be at a given range.

In addition, I applied some negative modifiers for Point Blank if the weapon was large enough. I was thinking that carbine versus a rifle (with its shorter barrel and folding stock) would be less accurate at Long range, but more accurate at Point Blank, because its smaller size makes it less cumbersome, even if only by a small amount.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
In addition, the body of the vehicle itself will create blind spots. This plays in to an idea I've had about starfighters being able to get inside Point Blank range on Capital Ships in space combat...
Sort of like skin dancing in Babylon 5, right?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: metric system Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Point blank range is 20 feet (or 7 meters, if you prefer)

And BTW, yes, I prefer meters. Star Wars uses the metric system, and it is an utter travesty that the great USA can't catch up to the rest of the civillized world and use the much more logical and intuitive metric system despite the fact that we use a base 10 number system. I go all math professor on my players and require exclusive use of the metric system in my game (but I provide conversion tables for the correct perspective).

And on my character sheets there is no "Weight". Instead there is "Mass" measured in kilograms. For all intents and puposes Mass is constant even if in lighter or heavier than standard gravity.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

I can't say for certain, because I don't remember the reference in Babylon 5, but if you are referring to ships flying close and fast in close proximity to a larger vessel so as to avoid weapons fire, then yes.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: metric system Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Star Wars uses the metric system...
Do you mean WEG rules or is there a metric reference in the films?

Quote:
I go all math professor on my players and require exclusive use of the metric system in my game (but I provide conversion tables for the correct perspective).
Do you smoke a pipe when you go all math professor? Many of my UG professors smoked a pipe. Wink I'm all for education, but exclusive use seems a bit...anal.

My character sheet says: Height: 1.70m (5’7”) Mass:70 kg (154#) - would that really be problematic for you as a GM?

Totally eliminating the figures in () just makes it harder for those of us who grew up with English Units. (And I know that pounds are not a mass unit, but let's just pretend the # indicates equivalent weight at a SW standard 1G.)

Quote:
For all intents and puposes Mass is constant even if in lighter or heavier than standard gravity.
I'm not a physicist, but can't we eliminate "For all intents and purposes" from the preceding sentence. Question Is there a case where mass is not constant? - See two can play at that a....no I don't want to go there! Mostly I am curious if I am missing some bit of college physics or have forgotten something in the intervening 3+ decades.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

I can't say for certain, because I don't remember the reference in Babylon 5, but if you are referring to ships flying close and fast in close proximity to a larger vessel so as to avoid weapons fire, then yes.
That is it exactly. It was something that fighters did and that IIR, because of their superb maneuverability, even Whitestars could do to larger ships.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
It was something that fighters did and that IIR, because of their superb maneuverability, even Whitestars could do to larger ships.

Was that the episode with the Drakh mothership? If so, I remember the scene; I just didn't remember the exact term.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Was that the episode with the Drakh mothership? If so, I remember the scene; I just didn't remember the exact term.
Yes. Season 4 "Lines of Communication." Lannier programs the White Star to skin dance - a combat maneuver/drill of the Minbari warrior caste - over the Drakh mothership to buy time while their jump engines recharge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: