The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi Blaster Pistol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Jedi Blaster Pistol Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Jedi Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

No, this is not a new stat.

Although the lightsaber is a Jedi's signature weapon, it is highly noticeable. During the Old Republic, it served as their badge of office as well as their weapon, but it also instantly identified them as Jedi. So what would they use when they had to go under cover, or when they were hiding for their lives in the Imperial era? A blaster is an obvious choice, because everyone has one. But what kind? Stock or customized? Blaster Pistol or Heavy Blaster Pistol?

I use my own version of Lightsaber Combat that allows a Jedi to use a watered down version of the power with pretty much any personal weapon, so I could easily see a Jedi in hiding in the Rebellion era being a supernaturally quick marksman. I even started writing a SWU fan fiction once that was based on Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo and Clint Eastwood's Fistful Of Dollars, where the protagonist was a disillusioned Jedi during the Imperial era who had hidden away his saber and now used a blaster pistol. I never got so far as the end where he has a spiritual reawakening and switches back to the lightsaber, but the idea is still there...

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
I tend to agree with old Obi-Wan.

When undercover, any old blaster should do. Whatever fits the cover. They are all more or less equally clumsy and random. Wink My Jedi, often hides his lightsaber when undercover. Either disguising it as a large hydrospanner or glow rod, or concealing it inside an R2 unit, like Luke did on Jabba's sail barge.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Quote:
This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
I tend to agree with old Obi-Wan.

True. Of course, the more civilized age seems to have passed the galaxy by in the time of the original trilogy, and for a Jedi to be walking down the street wearing a lightsaber openly would be very foolhardy. In essence, after Order 66, every Jedi still alive would be permanently undercover.

Quote:
When undercover, any old blaster should do. Whatever fits the cover. They are all more or less equally clumsy and random. :wink: My Jedi, often hides his lightsaber when undercover. Either disguising it as a large hydrospanner or glow rod, or concealing it inside an R2 unit, like Luke did on Jabba's sail barge.

The one I liked was the character who disguised his lightsaber as a scope on his blaster pistol. There are a limited number of ways to disguise a lightsaber hilt.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

When undercover, any old blaster should do. Whatever fits the cover. They are all more or less equally clumsy and random. Wink
I gotta disagree. Heavy pistols and carbines are more random and repeaters and disruptors are clumsier. I'd go for a standard pistol. It's long-ish ranged so you can place your shots well, even at medium combat distance. If a long gun is in the mix, I'd go for a sporting rifle.

also, maybe they'd consider slugthrowers...

Complete Starship Construction System
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it just depends on what kind of gun fighter you want your Jedi to be. If he's the sniper type, go with the longest ranged weapon you can get. If he's the gun slinger type, go with a (pair of?) blaster pistols.

I think that you'd also want to invest some cp into blaster repair and modify your damage output, especially if you wind up going with a 4D damage weapon.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I guess it just depends on what kind of gun fighter you want your Jedi to be. If he's the sniper type, go with the longest ranged weapon you can get. If he's the gun slinger type, go with a (pair of?) blaster pistols.

I think that you'd also want to invest some cp into blaster repair and modify your damage output, especially if you wind up going with a 4D damage weapon.

The way I prefer is to use the optional rule from Rules of Engagement, where the shooter gets a damage bonus based on how well he rolled to hit. I see a Jedi with a blaster pistol being far more interested in precision fire, leaving the modifications for heavier damage to less capable gunmen who lack the skill to place their shots accurately. If anything (IMO), a Jedi is more likely to modify his blaster pistol for increased range.

In the original fan-made Jedi Handbook that came out in the 90's (mostly as a compilation of material posted on the AOL SW-RPG forum), there is a section about the Teepo Jedi, a Jedi sect that eschewed lightsabers in favor of blaster pistols. I wasn't a fan of the idea for a lot of reasons, but just as the samurai of ancient Japan were also skilled in archery, even though they didn't attach the same spiritual significance to their bows as they did their swords, it would not be too far of a stretch for their to be a Jedi sect that trained in the use of blaster weaponry alongside their lightsabers.

The Teepo Jedi concept also covered the idea of customized blaster pistols with internal triggers that could only be fired by telekinesis, custom fitted grips and other modifications, as well as the attention to detail and Force-enhanced construction similar to what the Jedi used to make lightsabers. These pistols would be less obvious than carrying a lightsaber openly, but just as distinctive if someone knew what they were looking for. I know in the DLOS comic series from Dark Horse, there is specific mention of Jedi Blasters, but then, Dark Horse had an annoying tendency to label everything with "Jedi" or "infused with the Dark Side of the Force." By the end of the series, I half expected to find mention of Jedi toilet paper...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
By the end of the series, I half expected to find mention of Jedi toilet paper...
Jedi TP it has a dark side and a light side. Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. once used.

As for me, even when undercover, most jedi pcs i have seen just go with base level blaster pistols and rifles... few bother modifying them.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

The way I prefer is to use the optional rule from Rules of Engagement, where the shooter gets a damage bonus based on how well he rolled to hit. I see a Jedi with a blaster pistol being far more interested in precision fire, leaving the modifications for heavier damage to less capable gunmen who lack the skill to place their shots accurately. If anything (IMO), a Jedi is more likely to modify his blaster pistol for increased range.

In the original fan-made Jedi Handbook that came out in the 90's (mostly as a compilation of material posted on the AOL SW-RPG forum), there is a section about the Teepo Jedi, a Jedi sect that eschewed lightsabers in favor of blaster pistols. I wasn't a fan of the idea for a lot of reasons, but just as the samurai of ancient Japan were also skilled in archery, even though they didn't attach the same spiritual significance to their bows as they did their swords, it would not be too far of a stretch for their to be a Jedi sect that trained in the use of blaster weaponry alongside their lightsabers.

The Teepo Jedi concept also covered the idea of customized blaster pistols with internal triggers that could only be fired by telekinesis, custom fitted grips and other modifications, as well as the attention to detail and Force-enhanced construction similar to what the Jedi used to make lightsabers. These pistols would be less obvious than carrying a lightsaber openly, but just as distinctive if someone knew what they were looking for. I know in the DLOS comic series from Dark Horse, there is specific mention of Jedi Blasters, but then, Dark Horse had an annoying tendency to label everything with "Jedi" or "infused with the Dark Side of the Force." By the end of the series, I half expected to find mention of Jedi toilet paper...

Yes, I know both the optional rule you're mentioning and the Teepo Paladins. I personally thought that the Teepo Paladins was a "neat" idea with half hearted execution. If I were to allow a "Jedi blaster" variant in my game, it would have to be expressed through mechanics that were completely different than LSC because I don't like the "copy/paste" idea for a "new" concept.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Yes, I know both the optional rule you're mentioning and the Teepo Paladins. I personally thought that the Teepo Paladins was a "neat" idea with half hearted execution. If I were to allow a "Jedi blaster" variant in my game, it would have to be expressed through mechanics that were completely different than LSC because I don't like the "copy/paste" idea for a "new" concept.

I use a Lightsaber Combat variation that broadens the scope so that it can be used with personal weapons, but caps the Sense and Control bonuses at the level of the character's actual skill. For example, a character with 6D Control and Sense but only 5D Lightsaber can only use 5D of his Control and Sense dice. The only way for the Jedi to improve his bonus is to improve his Lightsaber skill. With ranged weapons like blasters, the Jedi doesn't get to add his Control to damage, and depends entirely on accuracy to do damage.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... to shoot a blaster they were limited by their lightsaber skill? Or are you saying that you used this version of lightsaber combat and applied it to other skills as well?

The Jedi blaster does bring to mind the gun kata from Equilibrium. I could totally see a sect of Force users doing something like that, but I wouldn't make them "Jedi" in my game... Unless one of the PCs were the pioneer for the philosophy, which seems to be the case here.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Wait... to shoot a blaster they were limited by their lightsaber skill? Or are you saying that you used this version of lightsaber combat and applied it to other skills as well?

Applied to other skills. In the example above, a Jedi with 5D Lightsaber has his Control and Sense bonuses capped at 5D. However, let's say he had 4D in Blaster, so if he tried to enhance his Blaster skill, he would be capped at 4D, with only a Sense bonus to accuracy, and no Control bonus to damage.

Quote:
The Jedi blaster does bring to mind the gun kata from Equilibrium. I could totally see a sect of Force users doing something like that, but I wouldn't make them "Jedi" in my game... Unless one of the PCs were the pioneer for the philosophy, which seems to be the case here.

Either not Jedi or a specific sect of Jedi with a more aggressive philosophy. And yes, I was thinking of Equilibrium too...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

I use a Lightsaber Combat variation that broadens the scope so that it can be used with personal weapons, but caps the Sense and Control bonuses at the level of the character's actual skill. For example, a character with 6D Control and Sense but only 5D Lightsaber can only use 5D of his Control and Sense dice. The only way for the Jedi to improve his bonus is to improve his Lightsaber skill. With ranged weapons like blasters, the Jedi doesn't get to add his Control to damage, and depends entirely on accuracy to do damage.

Prob there is i have rarely seen a jedi who's control or sense was higher than their LS or blaster skills...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Prob there is i have rarely seen a jedi who's control or sense was higher than their LS or blaster skills...
Interesting. I think most of our Jedi characters have sense higher than blaster, but you are right that their lightsaber skill is higher than their sense and control though.

My character, Bren's blaster is 5D+1 and his sense is 6D.
Another player's former failed Jedi has blaster 3D and sense 5D+2.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Equilibrium again, and while the Gun Kata scenes are pretty outlandish for "normal" humans, it does seem like something a Jedi might actually be capable of, absent a lightsaber. I'm almost tempted to work up a Lightsaber Form variant that uses a blaster pistol and Dodge for combat. Maybe even a pistol modified for melee combat, with attachments so that it can be used as both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon. Something like the Equilibrium battle scenes would make a pretty cool fight for a Jedi, without the complication of the Empire hearing about the guy with the lightsaber who just tore through a bunch of stormies...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: