The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsabers vs. Melee Weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsabers vs. Melee Weapons Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Lightsabers vs. Melee Weapons Reply with quote

atgxtg and I have been holding an e-mail discussion about writing up rules for the various lightsaber combat forms, and he made a very interesting point today. Per the RAW, melee weapons can actually parry lightsabers. It seemed so outlandish that I refused to believe it without evidence, and he directed me to the description of the melee parry skill. Sure enough, the description states that melee parry is the skill one uses if the character has a melee weapon and is attacked by someone with melee combat, brawling or lightsaber.

atgxtg made the point that the skill could also cover the evasive maneuvers that do not necessarily involve a direct sword-to-lightsaber parry, which makes sense, since Dodge is limited strictly to ranged attacks, and there is no skill for dodging in melee or brawling (even though it does happen). Personally, I've done away with Brawling Parry and Melee Parry altogether by folding them into Brawling and Melee Combat, respectively. But I digress.

Anyway, the two of us traded suggestions without ever coming to a consensus, but some interesting ideas were posited:

1). When someone armed with a sword is facing someone armed with a lightsaber, they are at an automatic disadvantage, much like an unarmed combatant when facing someone armed with a melee weapon. My suggestion was that the melee weapon in a sword vs. lightsaber battle should face similar penalties (+5 to defend, +10 to attack).

2). atgxtg's suggestion was that weapons should be treated as Protection (as per the rules on pg. 94 2R&E).

So, here is my theory (atgxtg's suggestion has been credited, but this concept as written was pretty much put together by me. atgxtg, feel free to jump in at any time):

OPTIONAL RULE:
Unless specifically indicated to be lightsaber-proof or lightsaber resistant, all melee are especially vulnerable to the cutting abilities of lightsabers. A melee combatant can take his chances when facing a lightsaber armed opponent, but he is at a definite disadvantage (his difficulty on attack is increased by +5, and his difficulty on defense by +10), as he must avoid direct contact with the saber blade, either by his weapon or his person.

In the event that the lightsaber strikes a melee weapon, the meleeist's only real hope is that the weapon will absorb enough of the saber's damage to prevent a lethal blow from hitting home. The RAW states that weapons have a default Body Strength of 2D to resist damage, but I would be willing to bet that melee weapons are designed to be more durable, and can take more of a pounding than something like a blaster pistol (so perhaps a Body Strength of 3D-4D may be more appropriate).

Once the weapon's Body Strength is decided, roll for damage on the chart on page 94 (2R&E), then check the table on the next column for the damage inflicted to the meleeist on the destruction of his weapon. If the weapon is damaged but not destroyed, it is still subject to the damaged weapon rules on page 95 (2R&E).

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have seen quite a few lightsaber vs. melee combats in our campaign. I believe we used the same penalty for attack and defense, but otherwise what you wrote is pretty close to the way we have always played it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
We have seen quite a few lightsaber vs. melee combats in our campaign. I believe we used the same penalty for attack and defense, but otherwise what you wrote is pretty close to the way we have always played it.

It's scary when you're thinking what I'm thinking. Wink

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be afraid, be very afraid. Twisted Evil BWAHAHAHAHA!
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

It's scary when you're thinking what I'm thinking. Wink

Stop using Affect Mind on Bren! Razz
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible to parry a lightsaber swing by parrying the arms or hands of the user or the hilt. I've also always liked the idea of attacking Jedi with axes and maces because if they block the haft with a saber, they'll cut it. Then the head of the weapon will continue forward into the Jedi, unless acted upon.

I'd keep a penalty to parry (probably +5 difficulty) but I'd allow a melee combatant to forgo the penalty to attack if he doesn't care if his weapon is damaged.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
It's also possible to parry a lightsaber swing by parrying the arms or hands of the user or the hilt. I've also always liked the idea of attacking Jedi with axes and maces because if they block the haft with a saber, they'll cut it. Then the head of the weapon will continue forward into the Jedi, unless acted upon.
Depends on whether the lightsaber cuts without transferring any momentum. In other words, is it a perfectly efficient cutting tool? I've been watching Season One of the Clone Wars Cartoon. In Cloak of Darkness, Ventriss uses her twin lightsabers to slide down an empty turbo lift shaft in a SW version of Erroll Flynn sliding down a sail using his cutlass. Now I'm not saying we should necessarily accept everything in the Cartoons, but I don't think that would work if the lightsabers were perfectly efficient in cutting. In addition, when Qui-Gon Jinn uses his lightsaber on a blast door in the beginning of TPM, he uses both hands and appears to be exerting real physical effort as if he has too push the blade through the blast door. So I think lightsabers are not perfectly efficient universal cutting tools. Nor if you believe in all the funny metals are they UCTs. Wink

Quote:
I'd keep a penalty to parry (probably +5 difficulty) but I'd allow a melee combatant to forgo the penalty to attack if he doesn't care if his weapon is damaged.
Seems reasonable.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
Depends on whether the lightsaber cuts without transferring any momentum. In other words, is it a perfectly efficient cutting tool? I've been watching Season One of the Clone Wars Cartoon. In Cloak of Darkness, Ventriss uses her twin lightsabers to slide down an empty turbo lift shaft in a SW version of Erroll Flynn sliding down a sail using his cutlass. Now I'm not saying we should necessarily accept everything in the Cartoons, but I don't think that would work if the lightsabers were perfectly efficient in cutting. In addition, when Qui-Gon Jinn uses his lightsaber on a blast door in the beginning of TPM, he uses both hands and appears to be exerting real physical effort as if he has too push the blade through the blast door. So I think lightsabers are not perfectly efficient universal cutting tools. Nor if you believe in all the funny metals are they UCTs. Wink

I don't think they're perfectly efficient, but for things like inch thick steel rod, you can see in the movies that they're are very efficient. I personally wouldn't want to get hit with an axe head flying at 99% of the original swinging velocity...

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I don't think they're perfectly efficient, but for things like inch thick steel rod, you can see in the movies that they're are very efficient. I personally wouldn't want to get hit with an axe head flying at 99% of the original swinging velocity...

A wise Jedi would probably parry the axe head, not the haft, for that very reason.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I got your point...well axe head actually. Wink Realistically there is something in what you say. I just don't see Star Wars as a particularly realistic fictional universe and I don't think getting clonked with an axe head is in keeping with how we see the Jedi's act. In addition, if the blade is nearly perfectly efficient, then weapons shouldn't even have a 2D much less a 3D STR vs the 5D lightsaber damage. You need a 5D difference between damage and resistance to average out to an automatic 16+ destruction result so weapons should be 0D - 1D vs a lightsaber.

Some other ways to avoid the axe: Maybe the Jedi can use the force to vary the resistance or efficiency of the lightsaber blade to nudge the axe head out of the way, maybe he can give the lightsaber blade a bit of a twist to deflect the axe head just enough to miss the Jedi, maybe he ducks at the right time (after all the parry skill includes avoiding the strike not just blocking it), or maybe as crmcneill suggests, he parries the axe head itself (though realistically in this case you now have two smaller projectiles to avoid). Those sorts of solutions don't seem out of line for someone who can parry and reflect back blaster shots from multiple opponents.

If you feel you must add a rule to reflect parrying melee weapons, then at most, I would add +5 or +10 to the parry difficulty. With any roll between the regular parry and the +5 or +10 over, may require a dodge roll to avoid getting hit with the axe head.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a "mishap" on the Jedi parry to me. Or maybe a mishap on the attacker's successful hit?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned the hard way that making a rule that's too realistic very quickly gets overly complicated for game play. Taken to its extreme, you end up calculating every single piece of shrapnel from a grenade explosion to calculate probability that someone might fail a dodge and still not get hit. I prefer to play it as though lightsabers are a step above all the weapon used by mere mortals, and that is is silly to calculate the physics of a severed axe head when we can't even apply real physics to in-universe space travel.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I've learned the hard way that making a rule that's too realistic very quickly gets overly complicated for game play.
Agreed.
atgxtg wrote:
Sounds like a "mishap" on the Jedi parry to me.
And look, a simple solution.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since parrying an attack successfully does NOT just mean blocking the weapons blade (or head), then i see no need to give another bonus rule to reward lightsabers over other things. How i run it, is if your parry roll has a 1 on the wild dice, but the roll if left as is, is still sufficient to parry the attack, then your weapon got interposed and struck the LS blade...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a semi aside I've often wondered what happens if a lightsaber parries something but fails to cut throught the object.

Lets say for instance the sword being parried is heat resistant but not specifically lightsaber proof so in this instance if gets a body strength of 4D.

The jedi only rolls 10 on his damage but the sword wielder rolls a 16 on his soak.

Does his sword now pass through the lightsaber blade unimpeeded or does the lightsaber blade itself have some sort of mass which prevents this movement or at the very least deflects it?

And if the lightsaber blade does have mass does that mean mass effecting devices like repulsorlifts can make weilding a lightsaber a tricky proposition?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: