The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stamina in Lightsaber Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Stamina in Lightsaber Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I didn't find fatigue to be that much of a bookkeeping issue in RQIII. I know lots of people did, but to me, ticking of 1 FP each around was easy. The penalties were so low that you could ignore them until you had a close roll.
Depends on how much armor and such you were toting about. Average characters in heavy armor often ended up starting at -1 FP. Also depends on how much book keeping your players are used to. As the GM I would need to track the half dozen or more NPCs during the battle, but I often found I also needed to keep an eye on the players to ensure they were adding things correctly. It's not that it's particularly hard to do, but it is one more thing that had to be tracked along with Magic Points - personal, in items, and for familiars and bound spirits, total hit points, hit points per location, healing, POW, etc. For our group, the addition of fatigue rules was sort of the proverbial straw meeting the camel. And as the GM I like knowing what level the PCs are at during combat. There are times I miss the old Runequest days, but the last time I ran RQ (3 years ago) I found the system very cumbersome after having played Star Wars D6. It's one way I noticed that I had evolved in the direction of lighter, faster, less crunchy rules.

Now back to the topic. I think crmcneil needs to use some method of streamlining so as not to overwhelm the combat with tick marks and book keeping. It's too much work for me, so beyond my previous suggestion, I got nothin'. I'm sure he can figure out something he'll like that does the job for him. Wink
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't really considered armor, and not really sure if I want to, but if I had to, I would probably do a penalty to Stamina equal to the Armor's Dex penalty.

I can see how it would get complicated calculating all that stuff in. Mostly what I'm looking at is four different roll groupings per round: 1). Initiative, 2). The psychological roll (using my Dun Moch rules), 3). The combat roll (using opposed lightsaber rolls, since I'm using a Dueling Blades variation), and 4). The stamina roll.

Part 1 would happen anyways, while Part 2 is optional, and requires two rolls per character (Force skill rolls to determine the forced based bonuses to the appropriate skills, and the skill rolls themselves), which determine skill penalties for Parts 3 and 4.

Part 3 requires a single combat roll (assuming neither character is trying to parry blaster bolts or duel more than one opponent).

Part 4 requires a single stamina roll, along with calculating the escalating difficulty modifier, but the stamina roll is a free action, so it doesn't count towards a MAP.

In summary, a single combat round would take 5 rolls (2 of which are free actions), and would only result in a -2D MAP if either side chose to make a psychological attack, so both opponents would have to decide if the -2D MAP for performing a Dun Moch attack is worth it. They could potentially reduce the MAP to -1D by choosing to go defensive and gamble that their opponent won't attack, but that is never a guarantee.

The most complicated roll would be the psychological portion, and the book-keeping for the Stamina roll would be basic math. It might be a little complicated starting out, but then, any new system is until you get used to it. Of course, I won't know if I'm happy with it until I've play tested it a little bit. Very Happy

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how much combat already tends to slow down gameplay I'd go for a very simple system indeed.

Something like a character can act unimpared for a number of rounds equal to the number of pips they have in stamina (so a character with a strength of 4D and nothing extra in stamina could act for 3x4 or 12 rounds before getting fatigued). After they've hit their limit they get a one pip penalty every round until they rest.

However if you ever have the advantage in a fight and choose not to press it (Say you knock someone back or down and don't immediately follow up) then that counts as resting and your counter resets.

That way fights can be more dramatic with someone gaining the upper hand but choosing instead to rest and be fresh for the next round the other combatant doesn't get the same rest and is still building up fatigue.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Something like a character can act unimpared for a number of rounds equal to the number of pips they have in stamina (so a character with a strength of 4D and nothing extra in stamina could act for 3x4 or 12 rounds before getting fatigued). After they've hit their limit they get a one pip penalty every round until they rest.

A good suggestion, and I am doing something similar, but I still like the idea of the Stamina roll and difficulty level being a constant presence in the battle, much how it is in the novels. I think I'm going to use Bren's suggestion of calculating the difficulty level every round, but not requiring an actual Stamina roll until the difficulty level reaches a certain threshold point.

Quote:
However if you ever have the advantage in a fight and choose not to press it (Say you knock someone back or down and don't immediately follow up) then that counts as resting and your counter resets.

That way fights can be more dramatic with someone gaining the upper hand but choosing instead to rest and be fresh for the next round the other combatant doesn't get the same rest and is still building up fatigue.

I don't think resting for one five-second round should reset the counter to zero, but it is definitely worth a negative modifier to the Stamina difficulty level.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough I just worry that making duels longer and involving more dice rolls could create a situation like this.

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/comics/darths0344_bonus.jpg

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Fair enough I just worry that making duels longer and involving more dice rolls could create a situation like this.

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/comics/darths0344_bonus.jpg

LMAO! F-ing hysterical, and exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I specifically tried to design a system that was results oriented instead of move oriented.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
[Depends on how much armor and such you were toting about. Average characters in heavy armor often ended up starting at -1 FP.

That is what I meant about it not being that hard. A -1 FP wasonly a 1% peanlty, so you could ignore it most of the time. It was only when aroll was close that it mattered.

IMO the problems were usually from players carrying around an unrealistic amount of weight. People really didn't walk around all day in that stuff.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
IMO the problems were usually from players carrying around an unrealistic amount of weight. People really didn't walk around all day in that stuff.
Well, Roman Legionaries typically wore or carried their armor, weapons, bundle of camp gear and personal items, 2 5-foot palisade stakes. They marched 15 miles a day then stopped to build a rampart and trench every night for exercise. So trekking about in armor is/was possible.

But it's true a lot of ancient and medieval armies had gear, sometimes including armor stowed on baggage wagons, mules, horses, or carried by servants or slaves.

But RQIII encumberance with its incremental round-by-round fatigue state changes was a definite switch from the simpler, albeit cruder encumberance of RQI and RQII.

And players in any FRP do want their characters to stay in armor as much as possible - generally because it is so darn useful.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Roman soldiers also trained with weapons that were much heavier than the ones they weilded in battle so when it came to fighting it was actually easier than their training... unless you count that tree stumps and training dummies don't fight back.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I believe Roman soldiers also trained with weapons that were much heavier than the ones they weilded in battle so when it came to fighting it was actually easier than their training... unless you count that tree stumps and training dummies don't fight back.
Yeah, that's from Vegetius. Easier in the sense of not as heavy or tiring to lift. Harder in the sense of having some big barbarian trying to hack his way through your shield. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their drills were bloodless battles and their battles bloody drills.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a sight side note I was thinking that perhaps for characters who use melee weapons it should be possible to purchase training weapons which were heavy and unweildy so they were difficult to use but after you'd used the training weapons for a few battles it then cost less character points to advance in melee skills because actually using regular weapons was so much easier to do.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
On a sight side note I was thinking that perhaps for characters who use melee weapons it should be possible to purchase training weapons which were heavy and unweildy so they were difficult to use but after you'd used the training weapons for a few battles it then cost less character points to advance in melee skills because actually using regular weapons was so much easier to do.
I would just include practicing with heavy weapons as part of normal training/CP expenditure to raise a skill. Like some scenes in the EU where Darth Vader is slicing up lightsaber armed ASP droids or scenes where Luke is juggling rocks and R2 in ESB, the detail and description provides color to what actual training entails. - Just my 2 credits.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
Well, Roman Legionaries typically wore or carried their armor, weapons, bundle of camp gear and personal items, 2 5-foot palisade stakes. They marched 15 miles a day then stopped to build a rampart and trench every night for exercise. So trekking about in armor is/was possible.

Yeah, but the Romans were not wearing anywhere near the weight that you get on the RQIII armor table. A full Lorica Segmenta was only about 20kg.

The problem was that RQ was designed for ancient armor, yet RQIIIused medeival weights and protection to try and dig into the mainstrem FRP market.

Guys wearing full heavy suits of armor, likeMedieval Plate, usually rode.

Quote:

But it's true a lot of ancient and medieval armies had gear, sometimes including armor stowed on baggage wagons, mules, horses, or carried by servants or slaves.

But RQIII encumberance with its incremental round-by-round fatigue state changes was a definite switch from the simpler, albeit cruder encumberance of RQI and RQII.

A swtich yes. But not necessiarly a bad one. But a lot of people didn't like it.

I7ve been thinking of another way to handle fatigue here. What if the Stamina requirment was based on the skill and form used? You match this exertion level to the character's Stamina dice. If the exertion is over that value the character accumlates a Stamina peanlty (-1D to Stamina).

So as the characters tie out they do dimplier, less demanding attacks.

And players in any FRP do want their characters to stay in armor as much as possible - generally because it is so darn useful.[/quote]

Last edited by atgxtg on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg - your quotes are messed up. [Never mind.*]

But I agree that RQI and II had a much more ancient feel - which I greatly preferred. RQIII fixed some things, improved a couple of things, and complicated almost everything. And I never really got a good feel from the Loskalmi and their Western brethern - much prefer the Lunars, Orlanthi, and Praxians.

Regarding armor, to be honest I'm not sure about the relative weights of the various armors. I know medieval armor was decided for quite a bit of freedom of motion and knights were supposed to be able to jump into the saddle unaided (contrary to depictions of 15C tilting armor). Certainly medieval knights expected (generally) to ride into battle, though they did slog on foot in some battles. And those Roman Scutums are pretty darn heavy (as are hopolite shields in RQIII). But enough about Runequest.

Regarding stamina - simple is better, I think.

* Edited 'cause he fixed it.

Last edited by Bren on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: